Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

I’ve slept on it, and I’m now completely in the Unai Emery camp. He has everything we need in a new manager. The reputation, the experience of top level football, experience in the PL even if it didn’t work out last time and, most importantly, he knows what he wants his teams to do.

He’s also a manager that I don’t think would jump ship if one of the big 6 came calling after a year. Amorim probably would, as would Pochettino if we brought him in.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Would anyone take Dyche until the end of the season?

No

1) why would Dyche accept that unless he was on a promise to extend

2) why do we have to wait for the next manager

3) I think we’d look amateurish with a rent-a-manager approach

1 minute ago, ChesterDad said:

I’m still in favour of Thomas Franks - I like his style and approach to the game - however I can also understand when others say that we have often gone down the untried at the top route and not again.

He's no better than Smith, you know that don't you? Brentford are ticking over because they have a top striker at the club.

• Like 1

Just now, ChesterDad said:

I’m still in favour of Thomas Franks - I like his style and approach to the game - however I can also understand when others say that we have often gone down the untried at the top route and not again.

Franks said we were “respectless” after the Fulham game.  He’s never going to say that if he has even the remotest interest in the Villa job. I’m not convinced he’s right for us anyway but from that comment it’s ruled him out anyway by his choice.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Franks said we were “respectless” after the Fulham game.  He’s never going to say that if he has even the remotest interest in the Villa job. I’m not convinced he’s right for us anyway but from that comment it’s ruled him out anyway by his choice.

Interesting if he said that. I have no real idea what he bases that on. Weird man.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Its strange how ww havent been linked with emery.

To be honest, everything has been typical of Villa where I’m not sure the media know anything.  Even the Amorim link maybe we put feelers out to many places and his agent leaked it and we aren’t really that interested.  With Villa it’s generally, at this stage, the ones that are quite that are more likely,  wouldn’t surprise me, based on this if it was Emery but could equally be anybody else. It seems rarely the one that’s being talked about in the early parts.

3 minutes ago, daft said:

Interesting if he said that. I have no real idea what he bases that on. Weird man.

He meant it generally about fans as a whole (not just Villa) that we get too personal on managers blah blah but given the topic was Gerrard’s sacking it was unwise if he was interested in the Villa job.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Fair point. 

Thing is, I think we need to look outside 'proven PL experience' for this to work. We have history, but we aren't currently in a position to offer coaches CL or the worlds largest fan base as a stage, but we are a decent prospect for the right man.

Could that be Ruben Amorim? Quite possibly, or someone like him that is up and coming. Gerrard had a few years in a league that is nowhere near top tier in Europe. Someone with Rubens profile at least has a few years in a better league, and have tried their hand at European football. There are more people out there like Amorim, up and coming and hungry, and personally I believe that's where we have to go fish. A modern coach that understands the importance of man management as well as tactical nuances and analytical skills. This combined with a skill for getting the right people in to work in the coaching team is essential. 

Due diligence is key in this appointment, and I do hope we get someone that can finally help us kick on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can’t see beyond Emrey to be honest. Massive coup and real statement if he came. What he has done at Villareal is fantastic. Proven pedigree and experienced. Amrion may prove to be a real coup, but considering how precarious our situation is I’m not sure it’s worth the risk.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

He meant it generally about fans as a whole (not just Villa) that we get too personal on managers blah blah but given the topic was Gerrard’s sacking it was unwise if he was interested in the Villa job.

Ah, I see. Yeah, I can agree with that. I think it is one thing do dislike a manager, but some of the vitriol you see aimed at managers under pressure is sometimes chilling. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d like Emery but have a feeling it will be Amorim.  First things first interested to see the team on Sunday.

This Amorim got as much experience as Van Taag? He had a slow start, but looks like the man to take United back to the top, doing well. Especially like his tactical nous to notice McGuire is useless. If Amorim comes in and notices the same of McGinn, I think we may be on our way 😂