Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

4 hours ago, Delphouneso said:

People in here now saying we shouldn't have sold Trez and El Ghazi is just as mental as people defending Gerrard.

It was stupid to get rid of Bertie and not replace him but we might be able to recall him anyway if a new coach wants him in the squad. And in the unlikely scenario it does end up being Poch this squad probably suits him anyway. At Spurs he mostly played either a 3-4-2-1 (with two 10s) or a narrow 4-2-3-1 with non-traditional wide players like Eriksen and Alli. Difference is he still knows how to use all of the pitch.

The way we are heading with Gerrard, I’m sure Trez and El Ghazi would have been useful next season in the Championship.

We'd definitely have been more organised and making chances. He's a decent coach for sure. Where that would have taken us I don't know

@catanzaro (edited as this was a reply to your last post but a new page got made in the meantime)

Edited by romavillan
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, catanzaro said:

Not sure that this is a popular opinion, but I still think Rodgers fits our club quite well regardless of his current troubles with Leicester..

I mean he’s fallen off a cliff the last few months but I agree he’s 1000x better than the current incumbent. I think he needs a few months off though.

27 minutes ago, catanzaro said:

If he had taken over from Dean,, do you think we would have progressed.. and kept Chuk.. played Archer..?

We would be in a much better position now, obviously. He's an actual manager/coach who can do the job.

And on balance I do think it's fair to say Rodgers is a level up from Smith.

Not a big one mind. I wouldn't have been very excited at all.

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

We would be in a much better position now, obviously. He's an actual manager/coach who can do the job.

And on balance I do think it's fair to say Rodgers is a level up from Smith.

Not a big one mind. I wouldn't have been very excited at all.

yeah I think I feel the same way as you about Rodgers.

I'm just starting to think we're not getting Poch, so where else do we go, and for some reason i don't feel good about Emery or Frank who seem to be the other names being thrown about..  

Either Emery or Frank would be very good appointments, Rodgers too would get us top half I reckon. What we need as the next manager, seeing as we ditched Smith, is someone who can get us a couple of 7/8th places in a row. Then we can make the decision as to whether that's the ceiling with that set up or whether we need to invest more heavily in the squad or what. 

Right now, the improvement on Smith hasn't materialised despite a better squad, in fact we're looking down the barrel at relegation.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I don't get the hype around Frank.

Can someone explain what he offers and what he's done to deserve the job here?

Good coach, plays football the right way his team is more than the sum of it's parts. Right now ours is no where near even equal to the sum of it's parts. 

46 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I don't get the hype around Frank.

Can someone explain what he offers and what he's done to deserve the job here?

25 minutes ago, ender4 said:

same question from me as well.

He's done this:

image.png.28e0ee6d94b4c7718748fa03798a92d1.png

With a noticeably worse squad than us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He's done this:

image.png.28e0ee6d94b4c7718748fa03798a92d1.png

With a noticeably worse squad than us.

Ok, that solidifies my worries. Let's please not hire someone based on 11 matches.

What's he done over the past 10 years? Not a trick question, i'd never heard of him until very recently.

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Ok, that solidifies my worries. Let's please not hire someone based on 11 matches.

What's he done over the past 10 years? Not a trick question, i'd never heard of him until very recently.

Smith managed midtable finishes and we got rid of him.

Gerrard was meant to be the next level but we have regressed.

I'd like to think we aim higher this time round than go for another midtable manager if the aim is for us to compete high up the league.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, AshVilla said:

Smith managed midtable finishes and we got rid of him.

Gerrard was meant to be the next level but we have regressed.

I'd like to think we aim higher this time round than go for another midtable manager if the aim is for us to compete high up the league.

I get your point Ash, and I'm not sold on the idea of having Frank as our manager.. but you could have said the same thing about Potter and he seems to have settled in to Chelsea pretty well.. I guess I wish we'd gone for Potter instead of Gerrard.. Hindsight and all that!

13 minutes ago, ender4 said:

How does that make you worried? He's doing more than our manager with quite a bit less.

He's not my first choice, but he's a much better option than Gerrard. 

• Like 2

Frank wouldn't be my first choice by any stretch, and I'm always wary of taking a piece out of a wider, structured club like Brentford and assuming the success can be replicated, but he's done an impressive job with them all the same. Almost got them promoted automatically ahead of serial yo-yo clubs like Watford and Norwich, did so anyway via the play-offs and comfortably kept them in the Premier League, which right now it looks like will happen again. With much of the same squad he had in the Championship as well.

I also rate the versatility he's shown in his coaching with them. They were always seen as a good footballing side that liked to keep possession etc, and since promotion through necessity he's moulded them into a more pragmatic, direct side in order to compete at a higher level, which they've managed to do quite seamlessly.

• Like 1