Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

After holding back and thinking it through, I have finally reached the conclusions of what qualities I would like to see in any prospective Villa managers to replace Steven Gerrard.

After much deliberation, I have drawn up a list of those qualities below.

Not Steven Gerrard.

That is all.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I've flushed stuff that has a better chance of successfully managing this side than Gerrard.

Would they sign a rolling contract?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

It’s funny that everyone would prefer Pochettino over Emery. Emery has won more and was far better for PSG. Pochettino was the worst PSG manager in 10 years. I think Emery is superior. 

I think Poch's likeability factor pushes him ahead for most. That and many will just remember Emery for his Arsenal spell. Which is a bit hazy for me but I know he wasn't highly rated by many while over here (wrongly I know).

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

It’s funny that everyone would prefer Pochettino over Emery. Emery has won more and was far better for PSG. Pochettino was the worst PSG manager in 10 years. I think Emery is superior. 

I think it’s because of his time with Southampton where he instilled a playing style that they’ve loosely stuck with even now and the fact he had to work with a lower class of player at Southampton than Emery did at Arsenal. But Emery is a very good coach/manager. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Could also be because Poch is unattached while Emery is at Villarreal. Surely feeling would be the other way around if Emery was without a club while Poch was currently managing elsewhere.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, a-k said:

Surely feeling would be the other way around if Emery was without a club while Poch was currently managing elsewhere.

Highly doubt it. Poch has a much stronger rep in England than Emery, not saying it's right but it's true.

Edited by Tom13

29 minutes ago, Spoony said:

That does seem to the the case, but I thinks it's more of a do you want chocolate chip ice cream or Neapolitan ice cream, either way it's better than the day old cabbage soup you are currently forced to eat

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I don't get this talk of 'Here are the only available options, Pooch, Tuchel, etc''.

There are what, 100 top 5 league managers. There are also various managers from Holland, Belgium, Austria, Portugal, even Turkey.

Most would be interested in a PL job. It's the best league in the world. 

So let's say that a pool of 160 possible names, 15% would be doing too well or would have a too high of a profile to come to Villa. 20% Would not want to move right now, another 20% would not want to leave their country for various reasons.

There are many, many options and a good Football Director can find someone from a list of 50-60 possible names that would improve us. 

The list is much longer than we think - it's not just Benitez or Dyche we are destined for. 

How many speak good English? I know it’s not absolutely essential… you’ve got the Poch / Bielsa / Conte types who probably relied on translators. But Klopp, Guardiola, Mourinho, Tuchel all benefited from arriving in the PL being able to speak good English from day one.

I think there will be more options in Germany / Holland who would work at Villa than in France / Portugal / Spain / Italy.

I’d ideally like to get someone on the way up in their career, rather than someone like Poch who is arguably trying to rescue his career. But the advantage of getting Poch is he has proven it at two PL clubs and I think it would be a massive statement of intent, and a massive motivation for the players. It would also raise our profile more than bringing Gerrard in… there are tons of players who’d love to player under Poch, and he’d be a great fit for the South Americans, while also playing well with the English players.

31 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Highly doubt it. Poch has a much stronger rep in England than Emery, not saying it's right but it's true.

It is right though. Wildly contrasting stints at the 2 North London clubs. Poch arguably came into a worse situation too.

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It is right though. Wildly contrasting stints at the 2 North London clubs. Poch arguably came into a worse situation too.

I don't mean for what they did in England, I mean among English fans. As previous poster said, Emery was better at PSG.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

With spurs currently sitting in a CL spot, even accounting for the game in hand? That would be a special kind of insanity to change managers, unless conte is off to barca or somewhere similar

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Icarium said:

With spurs currently sitting in a CL spot, even accounting for the game in hand? That would be a special kind of insanity to change managers, unless conte is off to barca or somewhere similar

Agreed. This is 90% likely to be BS but it does align with what was rumored to be out there like 2 months ago. That Poch, was hesitant about coming to Villa.