Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Looking at the last several games with Villarreal, they have all been 442.

The wildest fact standing out at the moment, 8 mins into frantic googling, is that he uses different formations. Can't say that'll ever work.

• Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

But if he leaves I think he’d go to a better side than Villa.

Not sure what's about. He hasnt set the world alight at Arsenal/PSG so cant see the Champions League elite come for him again

2 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Emery bought Pepe and Luiz for Arse. 

Gerrard got Kamara on a free, and Carlos for £30m

Just saying, careful what you wish for

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Didnt Edu buy them players?

He did, I doubt Emery had much say in it, certainly not the fee they paid.

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

People thinking we have a shot of getting Poch reminds me of when we were loosely linked with Ancelotti many years ago and ended up with McLeish. Expect to be disappointed. 

Oh you mean the time when we had a owner who was making cuts, gave up on us and wanted out? Not our current owners who are hungry and want success ?

Poch might be a long shot but its not outside the realms of impossibility 

Emery would no doubt be an improvement on Gerrard, but I don't think he'd get us to European places (which, granted, would be a horrendous task for even a great manager like Pochettino).

It would take someone as bizarre, beautiful and crazy as Gasperini to get us to succeed in this league. That's how huge the gap is between us and where we want to be.

Edited by His Name Is Death

2 hours ago, daft said:

I agree. However, have we ever been able to sign this caliber of manager whilst in the PL? Since MON left, it feels like we've been skipping from 'hopeful prospect' to 'proven shit' to 'maybe someday will amount to something possibly'? I might be overly harsh here, but can we sign someone like Poch? 

Its not overly harsh its  a fair point its unlikely he be interested but i think if the owners directly go meet poch along with CP there is a possibility they can sell the project to him

Conte went spurs yes they better than us and have had CL, but conte is too good for spurs like ancolotti was for everton. These instances do happen if the circumstances are right.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

Emery would no doubt be an improvement on Gerrard, but I don't think he'd get us to European places (which, granted, would be a horrendous task for even a great manager like Pochettino).

It would take someone as bizarre and crazy as Gasperini to get us to succeed in this league.

I don't see what Gasperini would bring to the table that Emery or Poch wouldn't.

1 minute ago, His Name Is Death said:

It would take someone as bizarre and crazy as Gasperini to get us to succeed in this league.

It's arguable that Emery is a better manager than Poch. His CV is actually better

Emery has 9 trophies to Pochettino 2 and if remove the PSG stints Emery has 4 to Poch 0 and managed similar size clubs

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I don't see what Gasperini would bring to the table that Emery or Poch wouldn't.

I mean that the gap between us and where we want to be is getting so huge that it would take someone with a truly uncommon mind - one perfectly suited to getting remarkable performances out of an unusual set of players and stumping other 'elite' managers (Tuchel used to marvel over Atalanta and thought they were crazy) - for us to bridge it.

I'm not saying that actually getting Gasperini is a realistic option, no. I still don't think Poch is realistic either. Regretfully, yet our owners have surprised me plenty of times now, so who knows.

Edited by His Name Is Death

12 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

If the only managers available were Sherwood, Bruce, Garde, McLeish, Roy Keane or Steve McLaren... I'd still sack Gerrard tonight.

We could make some brilliant moves for good managers and do a Newcastle like late surge.

We could play it safe with some solid managers and end the season respectably.

We could make a mistake and choose someone abysmal who would barely improve us.

We CAN'T do any worse though. With this squad, Gerrard has them at their lowest. The quality keeps us in the fight to stay up, despite Gerrard.

I know what you are saying, but changing our manager mid-season has not always worked for us. In September 1986 we sacked Graham Turner (who should never have been appointed, in my opinion) and his replacement Billy McNeill left, when we were relegated at the end of that season. We replaced Tim Sherwood in October 2015, when the club were 19th with Remi Garde, who was sacked in March 2016, with the club 20th and destined for relegation.  

9 hours ago, maqroll said:

We probably could have got Potter or Howe. But smooth operator Purslow went in for Sleezy G. **** tragic. 

I doubt we would have got Potter and at the time SG was appointed, I don't think that many on here, would have wanted Howe. 

2 minutes ago, John said:

I know what you are saying, but changing our manager mid-season has not always worked for us. In September 1986 we sacked Graham Turner (who should never have been appointed, in my opinion) and his replacement Billy McNeill left, when we were relegated at the end of that season. We replaced Tim Sherwood in October 2015, when the club were 19th with Remi Garde, who was sacked in March 2016, with the club 20th and destined for relegation.  

You missed the most horrendous mid season manager change. Last year we sacked Smith and hired Gerrard, and we are heading for relegation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John said:

I doubt we would have got Potter and at the time SG was appointed, I don't think that many on here, would have wanted Howe. 

Not sure about here on VT, but I did come across a few Villa fans in person and seen some online basically saying they were totally against Howe at the time. For the people I know they pretty much preferred a manager who won something despite it being in Scotland, over a manager who got relegated. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was quite a common thought amongst your average fan. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

You missed the most horrendous mid season manager change. Last year we sacked Smith and hired Gerrard, and we are heading for relegation.

I was looking at managers that took us down during the same season that we had appointed them.