Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

9 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Because it takes time to find the optimum replacement - can’t afford any more mistakes. Does anyone really believe we can sack Gerrard now and have his replacement in in short order? Certainly we should start looking now but the premature sacking of Gerrard  could leave a management void for a substantial time and while Gerrard is poor a void is worse.

Critchley could do a caretaker role. He couldn't do any worse!

30 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He has a huge ego and wants to be the guy that Sky or Talksport interviews when a Premier League voice is needed

I’m not sure we as the public know enough about the person to make that assessment… just my personal view

Just now, PerryBarrPet said:

No for me he’s part of the problem.

How can he be though? He didn't play this system at Blackpool and wasn't there during pre-season.

Many of our issues predate him by 6 months, he may not be having the impact we want but the issues aren't his fault.

My belief (unfounded conspiracy) is that his absence over Australia ruined the squads belief in Gerrard - there was a gulf where Beale existed running these 'smart' training sessions that likes of Emi raved about last year. Gerrard was taking over as Critchley was absent and the players realised he isn't up to it, had a couple of run-ins (not big argumentative blowouts like the media would be interested in, but just clash of personalities) with likes of Tyrone and we have the situation we have now.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think glamour is the wrong word

But I do think he went with Gerrard as a remit of young and English and its failed 

I think it was a case of 'brand awareness', which makes sense from a CEO point of view. Appointing Gerrard was a business decision IMO. I don't give much credence to baseless speculation of famboyism and Purslow's ego.

Looking at what we actually know and trying to make sense of it, using the approach that each of us tries to do our jobs to the best of our abilities, the think that makes most sense is weighing Gerrards lack of experience against a potential increase in brand awareness and all the possibilities that comes with that.

I think the club decided to try and expand the Villa fanbase, revenue possibilities etc by tapping into Gerrards status as a footballing superstar, and simply thought that outweighed the risks with him not being up to it due to lack of managerial experience and know-how. They might even have pitched it to SG that way, him reassuring them he has 'excellent staff to help'. 

And from the looks of it, the club is heading straight towards failure on all points. 

• Like 1

I don’t get this view that Purslow wants a glamour signing or a name from Sky or TalkSport. It’s just so poorly thought through an argument. At Liverpool he sacked Rafa and employed Woy, this is exactly the opposite of what is argued here. He did this as he was selling the club and needed a safe pair of hands that wouldn’t spend any money. He came to Villa and sacked Bruce and employed Deano, again making the glamour / sky / TalkSport argument look very weak. He then sacked Deano and brought in Gerrard, the same people claiming this is a variety signing or sky/TalkSport name claim this is because Gerrard is his mate and accuse him of nepotism. Now when the wind is blowing a particular direction that has changed to Purslow wanting a name talking about on sky or a podcast 😂

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I don’t get this view that Purslow wants a glamour signing or a name from Sky or TalkSport. It’s just so poorly thought through an argument. At Liverpool he sacked Rafa and employed Woy, this is exactly the opposite of what is argued here. He did this as he was selling the club and needed a safe pair of hands that wouldn’t spend any money. He came to Villa and sacked Bruce and employed Deano, again making the glamour / sky / TalkSport argument look very weak. He then sacked Deano and brought in Gerrard, the same people claiming this is a variety signing or sky/TalkSport name claim this is because Gerrard is his mate and accuse him of nepotism. Now when the wind is blowing a particular direction that has changed to Purslow wanting a name talking about on sky or a podcast 😂

The owners wanted Henry and I'm of the understanding it was Purslow that pushed for Smith and got his way  ? Dunno if the Terry appointment was his ides , or Smiths , or the boards  though 

Just now, tonyh29 said:

The owners wanted Henry and I'm of the understanding it was Purslow that pushed for Smith and got his way  ? Dunno if the Terry appointment was his ides , or Smiths , or the boards  though 

Exactly, hardly a vanity signing. I think JT was an opportunistic appointment. We had him as a player so he knew the club, he commanded respect in the dressing room (so much so the players locked up their WAGs) and he was a leader on the pitch. There is a lot that made sense about bringing JT into Smith's team.

56 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I don't think that much points towards Dyche being flexible, he's had many years to try different things. My guess is Dyche-ball is what he knows. The club could obviously take a chance on him being good at other ways of playing, but that would be a big gamble. 

As much as I don't want Dyche I think he'd get a tune of this group of players. I watched a video of him being interviewed during lockdown, and he said that he set his teams up based on the players at his disposal. He actually came across not to dissimilar to Smith in saying his main ethos was that the team comes first, that he wants a mentality of togetherness, and that you cut your cloth accordingly. We certainly wouldn't so powder puff weak bunch of scaredy cats on the pitch, that's for sure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

As much as I don't want Dyche I think he'd get a tune of this group of players. I watched a video of him being interviewed during lockdown, and he said that he set his teams up based on the players at his disposal. He actually came across not to dissimilar to Smith in saying his main ethos was that the team comes first, that he wants a mentality of togetherness, and that you cut your cloth accordingly. We certainly wouldn't so powder puff weak bunch of scaredy cats on the pitch, that's for sure.

Good shout, I'd take Dyche right now.  

1 minute ago, stewiek2 said:

I would be happy with someone like Dyche as an assistant coach or defensive coach but not the man to bring us forward. Although, as u say, he set up the team to suit the players he had, I suspect that by the end of his tenure at Burnley, every single player was bought by him and it looked like they were bought for the Burnley system. Maybe this is what he meant by cutting his cloth but I would worry about his style. I have only seen Burnley twice since Kompany took over but they are like chalk and cheese to last year. A lot of the same squad and having lost their most creative players yet they are playing nice attacking football

People are talking about Gerrard not being able to take us forward, DS not being able to take us forward, but proposing Sean Dyche? I think you are all mental. 

• Thanks 1

"I’ll never forget the game either last year or two years ago at Turf in the middle of the **** storm and Dyche still had Lowton and Taylor trying to send crosses into the box in gale force winds. I think the storm was so bad the rest of the Prem games were called off for the day. He was telling them to send **** crosses in gale force winds. That is some real sicko type shit. Like a perversion towards only playing crosses during games."  😉

https://www.reddit.com/r/Burnley/comments/u57f3e/why_we_ditched_dyche_an_amateur_report_for_all/