Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

43 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Of the names so far, only Potter would get anywhere near a shortlist. I'd take Poch, but absolutely no way he'd come here. His last job was managing Mbappe at PSG for god sake. 

Pochettino have said in interviews that he didn’t get to play his style of football at PSG. He likes to press from the front, but that wasn’t something he could ask Mbappe and Messi to do, so he had to compromise on his preferred style of football. If he comes here, he can play style of football he likes, and he will be backed by the owners, he could create his dream team. I’m sure it would be possible to sell this to him.

Edited by viivvaa66
  • Like 2

I’d like Poch or Potter but truth be told would settle for anyone that has a game plan and style of play that is visible and adaptable to suit our opposition and current playing staff. 

I’d also like someone who can make a sub before 60 f’ing mins and the right ones at that, that actually change a game in our favour and not the sodding oppositions. 

• Like 2

Who would you say was our last manager to have a style of play and a game plan?

I mean I don’t call giving Grealish the ball a style of play, game plan maybe but style of play no.

1 minute ago, WHY said:

I mean I don’t call giving Grealish the ball a style of play, game plan maybe but style of play no.

Dean Smith has tactical awareness and would pick different formations and styles based on the opposition. He had a reasonable record against the top teams, unlike Gerrard who I think got 1pt out of the top 6 last season. 

1 minute ago, WHY said:

Villa haven’t had a great manager in a long time. It’s time to change that.

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

Thing is if Potter signs for us, Brighton will replace him with someone of a similar potential/calibre from obscurity. 

Would be interesting to see who they would appoint next.

Just can’t help but think it’d be Lambert all over again. I remember Lambert came in and we were playing progressive attacking football for like 10 games and it was all very exciting and we just regressed into defensive garbage. Tbf that might not all be his fault, but I just feel like managers join Villa and whatever game plan and success they had before we somehow always kill very quickly. 

20 minutes ago, WHY said:

you have literally described a game plan, damn those fancy managers not passing to the best player on the team

Grealish was also brilliant in keeping all of them clean sheets

The Brummie Beckenbauer

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Just can’t help but think it’d be Lambert all over again. I remember Lambert came in and we were playing progressive attacking football for like 10 games and it was all very exciting and we just regressed into defensive garbage. Tbf that might not all be his fault, but I just feel like managers join Villa and whatever game plan and success they had before we somehow always kill very quickly. 

Why would it be the same under Potter though? I don't get that view.

58 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Pochettino have said in interviews that he didn’t get to play his style of football at PSG. He likes to press from the front, but that wasn’t something he could ask Mbappe and Messi to do, so he had to compromise on his preferred style of football. If he comes here, he can play style of football he likes, and he will be backed by the owners, he could create his dream team. I’m sure it would be possible to sell this to him.

When you put it this way... Sign him up lol! 

37 minutes ago, Risso said:

Potter is doing OK at the moment, but for a large part of last season Brighton were dire.

Disagree, they struggled for end product, but actually looked solid in most games, even when results didn’t go their way. You get the sense that Potter had a clear vision of what he was trying to achieve, and what signings would be needed to progress. And I think he is overachieving in relation to the resources at his disposal.

45 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I just don’t think this is the same club that Lambert managed. A lot of stuff behind the scenes has been improved, and we have the budget to properly back managers in transfer windows.

The irony is Gerrard is underperforming at a stable, well run club that is set up to be a decent Premier League side - although a lot of that depends on Purslow realising that he is not here for his football knowledge.

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I’d say he was (is) a great man and a decent manager. 

If Gerrard had come in and done what Snith did, everyone would have been raving about how great a manager he is.

it fizzled out when we lost Grealish, but what he did was great.

Our best manager in recent years, including MON.

• Like 3

Seen lots of people talk about how it went sour for pochettino at PSG. I wouldn’t say he can’t manage top players. Had plenty at Spurs. What i will say is that the more elite player you get, the less chance they’ll buy into or want to be tied into a system that negates their own ability. Harder to get them to work essentially. You’d often hear about it thrown around about how Bielsa could never get a “ top club “ Same thing. Terrific coach, but it’s no coincidence he gets the most out of the guy who has maybe decent / good ability but a manic desire to work and learn versus say a neymar or pogba. I’m not saying Kane, Eriksen, Son etc are not top - they are. When pochettino had them, they’d won nothing ( still haven’t ) so bought into his team ethos. He’d do well here but not attainable i feel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Seen lots of people talk about how it went sour for pochettino at PSG. I wouldn’t say he can’t manage top players. Had plenty at Spurs. What i will say is that the more elite player you get, the less chance they’ll buy into or want to be tied into a system that negates their own ability. Harder to get them to work essentially. You’d often hear about it thrown around about how Bielsa could never get a “ top club “ Same thing. Terrific coach, but it’s no coincidence he gets the most out of the guy who has maybe decent / good ability but a manic desire to work and learn versus say a neymar or pogba. I’m not saying Kane, Eriksen, Son etc are not top - they are. When pochettino had them, they’d won nothing ( still haven’t ) so bought into his team ethos. He’d do well here but not attainable i feel.

EVERYONE is attainable.

Just need the right persuasion.

instead of spending £28m on Sarr, spend that on poch.