What is that 1 song you hate by that 1 artist you love?

villa4europe

25 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I kinda assumed that when Blandy said you’d know it, he meant you’d recognise the tune rather the song being exactly the same as the theme.

Fair enough. It took two listens, tbh, first time I didn't get as far as the instrumental part. 

So there are one-and-a-bit songs I know by TDC. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Hate ... lyrics give me chills of embarrassment.

Remember when this came out, as we’d not long since got MTV in the crew room at work. One evening I was put on tool stores. The tool store room door let you see (and hear) across the corridor into the crew room and the TV up on the wall in the corner, er…anyway this song got me into Sonic Youth. It’s still great.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nah, it's one of their best off their best album

Agreed. Never understood why people rate the debut higher than Second Coming. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

I still skip it to this day, although I rewind a little because the ending melds nicely into Daybreak. But it's the song that most fits the thread title for me. Love the roses dearly, this one just never resonated with me and ended up grating a little. I wonder if it was not track 3 whether I'd connect with it more but it interupts a great start to a great album it just slows everything down unneccesarily between driving south and daybreak for me.

I used to skip Polly on Nevermind when I was younger but not so much these days, I don't hate the song at all.

The Pearl Jam one is another skipper though, from a band I hold dear.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I have to say @Marka Ragnos Kool Thing for me is one of their best.

I know many people love. Dunno why it hits me the way it does. 

7 hours ago, blandy said:

Remember when this came out, as we’d not long since got MTV in the crew room at work. One evening I was put on tool stores. The tool store room door let you see (and hear) across the corridor into the crew room and the TV up on the wall in the corner, er…anyway this song got me into Sonic Youth. It’s still great.

Worth it then … great guitar band. 

4 hours ago, bickster said:

Same as I feel. 

• Like 1

Kool Thing and Come to Daddy are similar in that they're both cheesy on purpose, kind of in a mocking way, but they're also catchy, for these recording artists to be able to do something like that shows how talented they are

I always associate Kool Thing with REM's Radio Song, perhaps because of their use of a rapper. nothing more.

To get back on topic

There are one or two positives about Willie Nelson's reggae album, Countryman. But only one or two. 

This isn't one of them. **** hate it.

Then Johnny Cash, he doesnt have a bad song, just songs I prefer not to listen to if I am listening to Johnny Cash as there are others, many many others I prefer to listen to. I dont like u2 so it's painful that he covered One.

Toby Keith, he has some tracks to some which are considered, rightly considered, chest beating gung ho Murica!!!! I am OK with them, I am OK with his comedy songs, I am OK with all of that. But a pointless dance mix, I skip that shit. I suppose it should be the lyrics that I hate.

17 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Your second example didn't bother me, but I hated Slow Train Coming so much, I gave it away.

The godbotherer lyrics were certainly a shock at the time, but musically it's a brilliant album, arguably the best played and produced of his career. The core band is unbeatable: Mark Knopfler, Pick Withers, Barry Beckett, Tim Drummond and the Memphis Horns. Jerry Wexler production. And Dylan's vocals are fierce and impassioned. With hindsight, I've even come to accept the songs (the above aberration excepted). Unfortunately, the next two albums in what turned out to be a Christian trilogy ('Saved' and 'Shot of Love') were a massive drop-off in quality.  

Incidentally, he played some fantastic gigs during this period - in the face of more audience hostility even than the 65/66 'Judas' period - now documented on the 'Trouble No More' Bootleg Series box set. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Johnny Cash as there are others, many many others I prefer to listen to. I dont like u2 so it's painful that he covered One.

Agreed but he still improved it and amplifies how dreadful the original lyrics actually are, so at least be thankful for that

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The godbotherer lyrics were certainly a shock at the time, but musically it's a brilliant album, arguably the best played and produced of his career. The core band is unbeatable: Mark Knopfler, Pick Withers, Barry Beckett, Tim Drummond and the Memphis Horns. Jerry Wexler production. And Dylan's vocals are fierce and impassioned. With hindsight, I've even come to accept the songs (the above aberration excepted). Unfortunately, the next two albums in what turned out to be a Christian trilogy ('Saved' and 'Shot of Love') were a massive drop-off in quality.  

Incidentally, he played some fantastic gigs during this period - in the face of more audience hostility even than the 65/66 'Judas' period - now documented on the 'Trouble No More' Bootleg Series box set. 

I can't say I listened to the album much, as I gave it away in a fit of pique.

Â