January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

19 hours ago, Steero113 said:

6 goals in 8 PL games worth of minutes. Only Haaland, Mitrovic, Toney and Kane have a better ratio. 

Lets not be hasty in getting rid eh?

Exactly if we sold Ings we need another Striker to compete with Watkins.

Emery has been clear and it's clear from his Villarreal team. There is one Striker and one winger come forward as the partnership.

This is why he plays Bailey with Watkins or Ings. Not Ings and Watkins. 

So if we sold Ings who replaces him. Everyone is looking for a Striker atm. 

I think we are looking for that player to replace Bailey up front.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I think I would prefer Lee Kang-In or Deulofeu.

Danjuma has done very well under Emery at Villareal and He is 25 or 26 so a good age. Can play upfront or on the wing. I think he could be a good player for us. Deulofou has a poor injury record, plus we have seen that Italy isn't at the standard of the prem. Lukaku looks like a world beater there, so does Tammy, and while both are good players, neither are world beaters.

Kang-In is interesting and so is that Moliero lad.

Danjuma would be a solid addition to the squad. Deulofou, would be a waste of money for me.

These mooted signing all seem rather strange really, it seems like they're aimed at getting us playing a specific way rather than trying to crank up the quality. Looks like Emery is going for functionality as his priority for this window.

He wants to implement his style, and shape the squad to that, is his first priority.

6 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Danjuma has done very well under Emery at Villareal and He is 25 or 26 so a good age. Can play upfront or on the wing. I think he could be a good player for us. Deulofou has a poor injury record, plus we have seen that Italy isn't at the standard of the prem. Lukaku looks like a world beater there, so does Tammy, and while both are good players, neither are world beaters.

Kang-In is interesting and so is that Moliero lad.

Danjuma would be a solid addition to the squad. Deulofou, would be a waste of money for me.

These mooted signing all seem rather strange really, it seems like they're aimed at getting us playing a specific way rather than trying to crank up the quality. Looks like Emery is going for functionality as his priority for this window.

He wants to implement his style, and shape the squad to that, is his first priority.

But Deulofeu has already played in the Prem and played well.  And Danjuma has already played in the Prem and played poorly.

And Danjuma missed more games through injury last season than Deulofeu did

Edited by duke313

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

But Deulofeu has already played in the Prem and played well.  And Danjuma has already played in the Prem and played poorly.

But he is younger and will have resale value if things don't work out.

Also he played in a very poor Bournemouth 

Edited by Philosopher
  • Like 1

I've no idea about Danjuma, doesn't seem the most exciting signing, but I don't think we can read too much into how he did with Bournemouth in the Premier League, he was injured for most of that season, played less than seven games worth of football.  Other than fans speculating I don't think we've been properly linked to him anyway, will probably end up at Everton.

13 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I'd prefer Deulofeu to Danjuma and either of them over Bailey or Buendia 

28 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Getting players in with the right skills to play in the system will improve the quality. Just look at Newcastle. Individually their players are no better than ours but they are better suited to the system. 

22 minutes ago, duke313 said:

He's only 3 years younger.  How many of our players that didn't work out have a re-sale value? 

Deulofeu was incredibly inconsistent in the Premier league, and was injured a lot.

Danjuma has been effective in both Spain, and the Champions league. Both of which are a higher standard than Serie A. Even if Danjuma flops and we try to sell him after 18 months he is still a player that excelled in Spain and the champions league and is still only 27 - 28. Deulofeu on the other hand is a player that is a bit of a journeyman that has had one good 18 month spell in Italy and is 30 - 31!

Having said that, they are different players, and I suspect that Deulofeu and Danjuma will play in different ways and different positions, so I'm don't believe it's a case of either or. In the case of Deulofeu I just think Danjuma is a marginally safer signing.

Seems to me Emery wants a ball carrier and a goalscorer. I think it's more a case of Guendouzi or Deulofeu as the ball carrier to play behind the front two. And Danjuma as a goalscoring winger to put pressure on Bailey and Watkins. This would mean two ball carrying midfielders / attacking mids in Ramsey and Guendouzi (if we signed him). Two creative midfielders / attacking mids in Coutinho and Buendua. Two goalscoring wingers in Bailey and Danjuma (if we signed him), and two out and out strikers in Ollie and Danny.

You also have different permutations like Ramsey and Guendouzi behind the front two if we want more aggression in midfield. Or Bailey and Danjuma up front if we feel opposition fullbacks are a weak point. Or Bailey Danjuma and Ings as a front 3 for example. So he can be tactically  flexible or consistent depending on the requirements of a particular game rather that who is available dictating that as is the case now.

51 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

It’s a good January window. There won’t be a total revamp midseason for lots of reasons. 

Never expected a revamp, but as somebody says above we don’t look to have increased the quality we’ve just brought in players or linked which are more suited to Emery’s play.  

Moreno has positives and negatives vs Digne. Guendouzi I don’t think adds to us but others said he does so that’s up for discussion.  Plus they are two areas which werent the priority for upgrading so to me that isn’t a solid or good window, it’s a meh window especially as it’s likely to cost us well over £50m for the two combined so not a cheap window. 

The saviour could be the winger which is a position we need so if either Danjuma or Deulefou then again opinions differ but neither lit up the PL last time they were here but have done really well in poorer leagues since.

Thats ok if it is three of them because Emery is the genius coach and will get the maximum out of them and knows what he wants and knows a few of them.  We always knew it would always be turning meh players into a high performing team as he usually does but these signings are a bit meh to me to be honest.  

Kamara and Carlos were exciting signings. Dendoncker and Bednarek were poor signings although Dendoncker has done better than I thought, so that’s my scale before somebody jumps down my thought saying I’m expecting somebody silly like Mbappe.  These links are meh to me, so hopefully a better summer window to increase quality.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Deulofeu was incredibly inconsistent in the Premier league, and was injured a lot.

Danjuma has been effective in both Spain, and the Champions league. Both of which are a higher standard than Serie A. Even if Danjuma flops and we try to sell him after 18 months he is still a player that excelled in Spain and the champions league and is still only 27 - 28. Deulofeu on the other hand is a player that is a bit of a journeyman that has had one good 18 month spell in Italy and is 30 - 31!

Having said that, they are different players, and I suspect that Deulofeu and Danjuma will play in different ways and different positions, so I'm don't believe it's a case of either or. In the case of Deulofeu I just think Danjuma is a marginally safer signing.

Seems to me Emery wants a ball carrier and a goalscorer. I think it's more a case of Guendouzi or Deulofeu as the ball carrier to play behind the front two. And Danjuma as a goalscoring winger to put pressure on Bailey and Watkins. This would mean two ball carrying midfielders / attacking mids in Ramsey and Guendouzi (if we signed him). Two creative midfielders / attacking mids in Coutinho and Buendua. Two goalscoring wingers in Bailey and Danjuma (if we signed him), and two out and out strikers in Ollie and Danny.

You also have different permutations like Ramsey and Guendouzi behind the front two if we want more aggression in midfield. Or Bailey and Danjuma up front if we feel opposition fullbacks are a weak point. Or Bailey Danjuma and Ings as a front 3 for example. So he can be tactically  flexible or consistent depending on the requirements of a particular game rather that who is available dictating that as is the case now.

Excellent breakdown not a word wrong 👏🏽

13 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Getting players in with the right skills to play in the system will improve the quality. Just look at Newcastle. Individually their players are no better than ours but they are better suited to the system. 

I see it as a improving the balance of the team rather than the quality of the squad. Newcastle is a different case, as form me it's the coaching an man management that has made to difference. Turning Joelinton into an hard working aggressive, tough tackling ball carrier for example. This isn’t about systems but identifying particular talents and coaching him to bring out those talents and then finding the best use for them within the team. I expect Emery to do similar thing with us.

On a different note the Bailey bashing is over the top. The guy terrorised Man U in Emery's first game in charge. He has that something special, he just seems to be going through a tough moment. The miss I  the final minute v Wolves was the 6th if 7th decent scoring chance he had in 2 matches, so I feel he frustrated with that. He's just snatching at chances and trying to force things a little too much.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Deulofeu plays in a front two at Udinese, not midfield like Guendouzi. And is also a winger like Danjuma, so would presumably take Bailey's position in the team.  He is also not 31, he's 28.

According to Transfermarkt Deulofeu has missed 61 games through injury, whereas Danjuma has missed 86 despite being 3 years younger.

Danjuma has had ONE good season with Villarreal and having CL experience is irrelevant (See Sanson, Digne, Coutinho).

Danjuma would also likely cost 2 possibly 3 times as much as Deulofeu, and with no guarantee he's going to be that much better.

Ultimately it will be whoever Emery believes is a better fit for the team.

• Like 1