January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

50 million is insane money 

This is not a good sign actually, if Atletico get €50m for Cunha, and are still intending to sell Joao Felix for €80m, then they would have plenty of cash available to bid for Martinez if Oblak leaves.

Realistically in Jan we need one attacking player and hopefully Sanson gets a move somewhere. 

I'm ok with Coutinho going on loan for a year to Brazil if that's what happens. But he costs us 10.75m per year in wages and amortisation so how Corinthians can fund that! Assume some wage cut akin to his loan to Villa is needed to get it down to 7/8mil might work.

Hopefully Guilbert can move on and Archer gets a loan deal somewhere. 

I'm not expecting or feeling need for an overhaul of the squad in Jan. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

This is not a good sign actually, if Atletico get €50m for Cunha, and are still intending to sell Joao Felix for €80m, then they would have plenty of cash available to bid for Martinez if Oblak leaves.

To be honest if someone wants to pay absolutely silly money for Martinez I’m not completely against it, unless he doesn’t want to leave. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

To be honest if someone wants to pay absolutely silly money for Martinez I’m not completely against it, unless he doesn’t want to leave. 

Agreed he's not as great as his reputation is based in his performances for Villa over last 18 months. As much as I love the guy. 

I feel he'll become club captain in summer and that'll be a big honour for him. Of we push on to top 10 and can see the progress under Emery then I think a big summer can get us into Europe next season 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

No goals this season so far in 11 appearances for Madrid.

6 goals in 29 the season previous.

50 mill well spent 🤣

The vast majority of his appeareances were of the bench for them. By minute, his non-penalty goal and assist returns were very impressive last season, with only 4 players having rates(Felix, Dembele, Vinicius and Benzema). 

I'm not saying he's worth 50 mill, but he's clearly a lot better than his goals per appereances stats suggest

14 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

With Olsen as back up, I would be against this

19 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

15 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Agreed he's not as great as his reputation is based in his performances for Villa over last 18 months. As much as I love the guy. 

I feel he'll become club captain in summer and that'll be a big honour for him. Of we push on to top 10 and can see the progress under Emery then I think a big summer can get us into Europe next season 

Our record with signing goalkeepers (Emi excluded) is terrible, so I wouldn't be confident we would replace him.

47 minutes ago, useless said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Wolves sell someone like Neto or Neves to fund that Cunha deal, that's mostly how they operate.

There was talk of Neto agreeing in principle with Barca last year, he then got his knee injury. I think they will both be gone in the Summer, if not before. 

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

It's mad that he'd leave Madrid and join Wolves like! Just shows the pulling power and financial power of the Premier League.

Its mostly the Mendes link helping Wolves here. its how Wolves are able to attract talent above their station.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

56 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I fully agree with this, I think first season Martinez was excellent, but the last two seasons not been as good...…. I think in the typical villa manner the fact he seems a likeable bloke masks the fact he is not infallible and has cost us points along the way 

That said, are Villa going to be able to get or attract an equivalent or better GK - I doubt it...….. so I think were in a good position with Martinez as a club, long contract so if he were to go, Id say wed want a world record fee for a keeper which would be great business...…. the flipside of that is, there only a handful of clubs who could afford a world record fee for a goalkeeper, and they're all sorted for a no1 keeper...… maybe with the exception of Chelsea who if you believe the tabloids are potentially in the market for a no1 keeper

For me, if he goes, on our terms, its far from the end of the world....

who, hypothetically, could replace Emi...….. Bounou, Kepa, Meslier, Henderson maybe.....

51 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Our record with signing goalkeepers (Emi excluded) is terrible, so I wouldn't be confident we would replace him.

I agree in recent times, but by & large certainly in my era - Villa always had good goalkeepers..... Spink, Bozzie, James, Schmeichel, Friedel, Martinez and to a lesser extent Sorensen, Johnstone were all steady for the level we were at at the time we had them...… Given would have been a good signing if it wasn't for the club trying to force his hand top get his contract off the books...........