January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

What's the opinion on attempting to sign Rabiot in the summer?

Will be on a free in the summer and yes high wages but hasn't stopped us in last 18 months and we have Kamara and Digne as guys he knows.

Played for Emery at PSG and there's a statistical model that says his qualities are very similar to Ramsey in terms of output.

Of course we don't want Jacob anytime soon but you always have to think ahead in football nowadays rather than just taking a season off because we have no idea how to replace our best homegrown player when he leaves.

No his mother is poison but also he plays nothing like Ramsey

He is having a decent World Cup but has done nothing at Juventus who have a weak midfield 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, villaglint said:

He’s a good player but right now it’s probably the strongest area of the team so I’d guess it’s unlikely we’ll be looking to strengthen there without being in Europe. 

Also while he is having a good tournament but he hasnt being playing similar for Fiorentina. Salif Diao syndrome

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yes his Mum is a total nightmare to deal in contract negotiations by all accounts.

He said in press conference last week he wanted to play in England next as he was at Man.City as a youth.

Not sure where in CL he could end up as Spurs have endless types like him in CM,dosen't really suit a Arsenal signing these days, Man. United passed him up in the summer and signed Eriksen instead and Liverpool still going all in for Bellingham.

Perhaps Chelsea will go in for him as Jorginho replacement.

That's the advantage of having Emery as manager now anyway and if we can get Coutinho off the books in the summer that will give us decent wage flexibility. 

Nope, no thank you to him!

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Also while he is having a good tournament but he hasnt being playing similar for Fiorentina. Salif Diao syndrome

Disagree - I watch a lot of Fiorentina after living in Florence for several months in the summer. They are struggling a bit as a side but he's always a  solid performer for them. 

Disclaimer - I haven't seen Morocco play at all so not sure if he's been playing like Xavi and Busquets combined hence the "not the same" comment.  

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Luiz and Kamara are looking very good in that midfield area. I wouldn’t be spending money on improving this part of the side. 

Apologies in advance, as i think i have said this 3-4 times elsewhere now, so im like a bit of a stuck record........but......

Now we are playing a midfield 2/double pivot, with kamara/Luiz/Donk competing for those 2 slots, i really think the midfield 2 is probably the strongest area of our team now, i am honestly happy for any of those 3 to be our midfield 2 depending on what is required, will be interesting to see who Emery develops in to the 4th player for that role (Timmy/other).

What a turn around from the midfield being probably our weakest position over the last 3-4 years.

It helps that we a) have those 3 players, but also b) we arent playing a midfield 3 with Ramsey in there (Ramsey looks so much better cutting from wide or further forward where Emery is playing him), or McGinn in there (who just looks like he shouldnt be in the starting 11 anyways).

I cant believe Gerrard wasnt even playing Luiz, unreal.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Luiz and Kamara are looking very good in that midfield area. I wouldn’t be spending money on improving this part of the side. 

Dendoncker too to strengthen the area further with perhaps Iroegbunam to get some games next season.

• Like 2

For me our midfield is still an area I would at least add one new player to. If we lose Kamara or Luiz we’re back into the McGinn/Sanson/Nakamba territory.  

Personally I’d like us to get a younger option in the squad for CM. It doesn’t have to be a break the bank signing but someone better than what we have squad wise. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, burchy said:

For me our midfield is still an area I would at least add one new player to. If we lose Kamara or Luiz we’re back into the McGinn/Sanson/Nakamba territory.  

Personally I’d like us to get a younger option in the squad for CM. It doesn’t have to be a break the bank signing but someone better than what we have squad wise. 

we have Dendoncker, who tbh i would be more than happy with partnering Luiz or Kamara as required.

I do agree that with need a 4th midfielder for competition, whether thats Iroegbunam, or another midfielder, who knows.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

we have Dendoncker, who tbh i would be more than happy with partnering Luiz or Kamara as required.

As Kamara understudy perhaps but can he affect a game? I think the more defensive side of the double pivot is covered, it’s the more progressive side that I think we need more depth in and where Luiz could do with some decent competition. 

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Nobody was ever going to start a game ahead of McGinn and Ramsey in a Gerrard midfield. If they were breathing, they were starting. 

People knock Gerrard for it, but it wasn't an outrageous decision.  If you're not playing a "double pivot", then Luiz wasn't (previously) offering anything going forward so it made more sense to have Ramsey and McGinn in those more advanced roles.

Of course, the issue was that Gerrard couldn't see the side would be better suited having that "double pivot" in place with the personnel he had at his disposal.

30 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I wonder if we're one of the clubs interested in Cunha. I know there was a bit of noise a couple of weeks ago about our interest. 

Talks still ongoing with Wolves apparently, I think they are the only one with concrete conversations about him.

Edited by nick76

On 10/12/2022 at 18:12, MotoMkali said:

https://football-italia.net/juventus-set-price-tag-for-chelsea-spurs-and-man-utd-target-mckennie/

Apparently Mckennie agent has reached out to us. He's a good player but not sure he'd start over Luiz or Kamara. Would give us a lot of depth though. 

Hmmmmmm.....I like it when we have to fight for them.....not the other way around.

I would still like to see a quality centre forward with aerial prowess, Like Dzeko or a young Giroud, De Jong, Falcao.....I think it would add balance to the squad and a weapon to change games.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

I would still like to see a quality centre forward with aerial prowess, Like Dzeko or a young Giroud, De Jong, Falcao.....I think it would add balance to the squad and a weapon to change games.

Yep, I want a Benteke type (when he played for us form)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I do agree that with need a 4th midfielder for competition, whether thats Iroegbunam, or another midfielder, who knows.

That forth midfielder HAS to be Iroegbunam if we aren't going to give 4th choice to a player as talented as him then what is the point in having an academy.

We still have a bunch of others who can fill in for now.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, paul514 said:

That forth midfielder HAS to be Iroegbunam if we aren't going to give 4th choice to a player as talented as him then what is the point in having an academy.

I think Tim is a difficult one as you don’t want him just sat on the bench constantly,

I’d therefore be inclined to get him out on loan again next year, possibly to a newly promoted side or a Championship play off contender.

He is the future though as I think he’ll ultimately take Dendonkers spot and challenge Kamara, although Tim is more of a CM/CDM hybrid than just an out and out CDM so perhaps he’ll challenge Dougie. 

Being greedy though I’d still like a combative CM that can mix it centrally and score goals, even if it is from the double pivot position. 

• Like 1