January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

4 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I do think he’s staying, but Delph and Grealish both signed new contracts not long before leaving 😬 

But their contracts were not due to expire in 6 months.  If Luiz was set on leaving, he just wouldn't have signed a new contract, and would leave on a free getting a big sign on bonus in the process.

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I'd prefer we got rid of Sanson and Nakamba, and had Kamara, Luiz, Kessie and Dendoncker.

I'm not sure a team in our position can have that much quality for what will effectively be two positions. If we were in Europe, maybe, but that feels like overkill for the 2 spots in central midfield. 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

My issue with kessie would be that he joined barca on a free transfer this summer, his weekly wage will be blown way off where it should realistically be

He's definitely good enough for us and sounds like he's available for a sensible fee

Probably overkill, but you have to admit it would be a top 6 midfield.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

He would.  He's on £150,000 a week though, would definitely need to get rid of a few fringe players before adding that to the wage bill.

Depends if we can get rid of a few fringe players.  We aren’t going to say no to Kessie in January if fringe players can’t be moved in January, we’ll just try and move them on in the summer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I’m not quite ready to write Coutinho off just yet. Considering most of our players looked ordinary under Gerrard, maybe Emery can get him to do a job for the team.

Same, everyone gets a clean slate.  If he's still playing as bad by summer window, then we try and get rid.

37 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I’m not quite ready to write Coutinho off just yet. Considering most of our players looked ordinary under Gerrard, maybe Emery can get him to do a job for the team.

Its if Emery rates him thats fundamentally whats important.  Coutinho no assists no goals this season. Poor very poor. 

Lets see if emery can get him playing but i think he isnt going to gwt much better unfortunately from what ive seen

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Luiz isnt going anywhere why would he aign they gi a few months later. Unless a stupid offer comes in. Kessie would be great replacement though

I really wouldn't rule out anything concerning Luiz as none if us know the conditions of his new contract. 

The only thing we have done is financially protect ourselves. 

34 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Its if Emery rates him thats fundamentally whats important.  Coutinho no assists no goals this season. Poor very poor. 

Lets see if emery can get him playing but i think he isnt going to gwt much better unfortunately from what ive seen

Buendia has one goal no assists. 

Pre Emery Bailey had one goal one assist.

6 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Buendia has one goal no assists. 

Pre Emery Bailey had one goal one assist.

Yeah and ive said i think we massively over paid for buendia. But difference with buendia is he at least tries to make things happen. Coutinho has been a passanger most of his villa career

40 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Inter are not signing a player they sold 10 years ago especially not for one of there better players

Seems odd if thats the case. Have to admit ive never heard of him

54 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah and ive said i think we massively over paid for buendia. But difference with buendia is he at least tries to make things happen. Coutinho has been a passanger most of his villa career

Seems odd if thats the case. Have to admit ive never heard of him

He is one of the best set piece takers in the world and last year transferred from Milan to Inter. He is very good but he isnt coming here though not sure he is physical enough for the Premier League

• Thanks 1

Seeing as Luiz is the most linked player, with other clubs, isn't that one reason to keep him.

Dougie is a good player, why, when we are building, should we sell him?

I don't feel like we have a big choice of options, so having to sell before we buy, confuses me.....The type of quality, we need to move on, is not in abundance, in our squad.

If we are saying we have too many on the books not good enough.....then that's a different conversation, but who is going to buy them?

I am no financial expert, but I would suspect, from a footballing point of view, we can't prevent the process of improving quailty, because the fringe players can't be moved on....for me, its 2 different scenario's, 2 seperate tasks.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2