Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

5 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Has been up and down I know. They’re still only 2 points behind us with 3 games in hand though. I’ll be shocked if we finish above them 

I can totally get behind the idea that if they played those four games (Manchesters, Arsenal and Saudis), they would have caught up and surpassed us by a point, maybe. 

But I don’t see them being so far ahead of us by the time they come to Villa Park that a win for us wouldn’t lift us above them.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Going to be interesting how we play at Anfield.

We tried the high line v them at VP and it wasn't a great success at all.

Spurs showed if you press them with a sort of low block but having a forward ready to run diagonally you can create chances and make them look average.

Really intrigued what Emery does for that match.

They have always been vulnerable. The 7 2 being the prime example.  They can kill you but also be killed.  

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

We won comfortably enough down there so shut them down the flanks and get tight to Kane when he drops deep and they won't have much else to hurt us.

They also got an insane amount of luck in that first half at VP last season, how we never scored was incredible.

Yes I was at this game 😫 Truly a game of two halves. I remember we were very good in the first and second was disgusting!

Still in our hands given that we've got to play Spurs and Brighton. Spurs have the easiest run in - Palace and Brentford at home and Leeds away on the last day. Brighton have tough games in hand but easier games elsewhere where you'd expect them to get points. We might need 3 wins from 4 to do it, but if it came down to needing to beat Brighton on the final day then I'd take that chance

Not too concerned by Liverpool, we clearly won't catch them.

Edited by StewieGriffin

It's a straight fight for 6th & 7th & between 3 teams, us Brighton & Spurs, so one will miss out & the good thing is we have to play them both & with hopefully a couple players back next week will massively help, this is going to the last game of season, which ever way it falls for us it has been a monumental effort from everybody at the club especially Unai Emery 🙌 been amazing watching this team evolve into the team it is today 👏👏👏 & can't wait till the summer window & next season where we all know we're going to be gunning for Europe again.

10 minutes ago, omariqy said:

All the results went the way we all pretty much expected but yet I feel a bit dejected. Very weird.

I agree, all games went as expected and I’m actually calm and still confident. Only Spurs winning would’ve had me worried this weekend.

9 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Still think it will be all down to the last game Villa v Brighton.

Winner takes seventh.

So you think Spurs will get sixth? 

Roles have reversed mate, a few weeks ago you were more confident than me and now I’m more than you.  I think winner of that game gets 6th

Edited by nick76

The best thing about Villa under Emery is that we know he will be doing everything possible to make sure heads don't drop after a setback.

He will be hurting more than anyone but he will channel that frustration into making us better next week. 

The players will be getting drilled (insert Kenneth gif) all this week l, looking at what we need to improve on. 

I'm confident we will bounce back. Although Europe is definitely a stretch.

There's always next season if we don't make it this season and this time, we really can look forward to it.

1 hour ago, RichW said:

What’s changed? Was always going to be a tough game today against team that are strong at home. Spurs are losing 3-1 Liverpool so if anything we could gain on goal difference today. 

Well we didn’t gain on goal difference but to be honest that is besides the point.

We are running out of games and each one we don’t take 3 points in greatly reduces the likelihood of us finishing 5th or 6th for the Europa League.

Brighton now need two points from three games and they go above us. We are going to have to rely on them hitting poor form now.

If we don’t beat Wolves we can forget it 

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Roles have reversed mate, a few weeks ago you were more confident than me and now I’m more than you.  I think winner of that game gets 6th

No I think Brighton will.

Just now, nick76 said:

Which is highly possible because they have to play each of the top 4

Yes everyone expects they will drop some points but just win one and they are ahead on points and out of sight on goals

3 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Yes everyone expects they will drop some points but just win one and they are ahead on points and out of sight on goals

Yeah good job there is more than one game left.  They need good points from a tough run…so do we! They are going to drop a fair few points against the top four, no way are they getting 12 points, I’d be surprised if they get close to 6 points at best from those top 4 games.

Edited by nick76

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yes I do, just been looking at their fixtures and they will get more points than us.

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yes I do, just been looking at their fixtures and they will get more points than us.

Hmmm, they have an easier run in than us but I think their defence is going to kill them, I think we’ll finish above them.

32 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Still in our hands given that we've got to play Spurs and Brighton. Spurs have the easiest run in - Palace and Brentford at home and Leeds away on the last day. Brighton have tough games in hand but easier games elsewhere where you'd expect them to get points. We might need 3 wins from 4 to do it, but if it came down to needing to beat Brighton on the final day then I'd take that chance

Not too concerned by Liverpool, we clearly won't catch them.

Think Palace and Brighton might beat them