Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

10 minutes ago, SecretVillaScout said:

You thought we were gonna get relegated this season.

Yea i did after 11 games. Did anyone else not think so? We were utter tripe under Gerrard. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

Yea i did after 11 games. Did anyone else not think so? We were utter tripe under Gerrard. 

Once Gerrard was sacked I knew we'd probably be fine but I certainly didn't expect this. Thought we'd have a similar middling season to last season and then kick on next season.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

If Liverpool win their matches in hand they go above us. I wouldn’t write them off just yet. 

True but only on goal difference.

They are a much lower threat than Brighton.

They aren't performing anywhere near as well either.

4 minutes ago, Tayls said:

We still beat likes of Everton and Southampton under him as bad as it was. Those two are relegation bad as their results showed today. At worst it would've been a Palace type season for us, hovering over bottom 3 until he got sacked in Feb/March and then someone gives us a late rally.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Once Gerrard was sacked I knew we'd probably be fine but I certainly didn't expect this. Thought we'd have a similar middling season to last season and then kick on next season.

Likewise. Wasn’t that impressed with the three defeats in a row, but we had already showed that we can play by that point. Thought we were quite suspect defensively there. 

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

But if Newcastle, Spurs and United all start to falter, they’ll smell blood.

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Liverpool can still win games in this run in but they haven't had consistency at all. This season they've beaten the Manchester clubs at home and then lost at Forest and Bournemouth the next week. Them beating Man. United 7-0 though is hurting us as we can't get near them on GD.

I think they'll beat Leeds and they won 6/7 straight at end of 20/21 so wouldn't rule them out yet. If they're to get to 64/65 points they'll obviously have to beat Spurs at Anfield so that will keep Spurs nicely in range for us.

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

Likewise. Wasn’t that impressed with the three defeats in a row, but we had already showed that we can play by that point. Thought we were quite suspect defensively there. 

Leicester was the only bad one there.

Not sure how anyone can write off a season when you lose to Man. City away and Arsenal at home as 90% of the league have had those results. Indeed the Arsenal game we actually played really well and had some really bad luck at the end so that was probably the big indication we were on to something under UE but it got lost in the drama over losing a game to the league leaders.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

With every win we get previously unobtainable points targets start to get very realistic. Imagine saying after that late Arsenal goal we'd be getting 55 points this season. That's only a win and two draws away now so we'd have to blow up even worse than some of those run ins under MON not to achieve that.

60 points is now three wins and a draw away. That basically means beating Fulham, Spurs and Wolves and getting something at Brentford. Very achieveable.

64-65 points means on top getting something at Anfield and Old Trafford and beating Brighton on final day. Still very tough but when you look at what we produced today then it's a case of "would you bet against us..."

Continuing to get 2 points a game even with our difficult fixtures would mean we end up on 64 points. Insane.

55 not all that long ago I was saying would mean we'd had a great season. 60+ is off the charts, Emery is a **** genius.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Leicester was the only bad one there.

Not sure how anyone can write off a season when you lose to Man. City away and Arsenal at home as 90% of the league have had those results. Indeed the Arsenal game we actually played really well and had some really bad luck at the end so that was probably the big indication we were on to something under UE but it got lost in the drama over losing a game to the league leaders.

I think for Emery to only suffer defeats to Liverpool, Leicester, Arsenal and Man City since he joined is quite spectacular. We’ve gone from: Relegation fodder > also rans > to European football contenders,  in the space of 6 months. I think the footballing world know we are onto something at the moment. I hope we are smart over the summer…  

Just now, Tayls said:

I think for Emery to only suffer defeats to Liverpool, Leicester, Arsenal and Man City since he joined is quite spectacular. We’ve gone from: Relegation fodder > also rans > to European football contenders,  in the space of 6 months. I think the footballing world know we are onto something at the moment. I hope we are smart over the summer…  

Like them or not but Newcastle are the template. Had a similar end to last season and got in Pope, Botman and Isak.

We need to find 2-3 similar and then we'll have a very strong squad when you think none of Cash, Coutinho or Kamara were involved today.

Good thing is that becomes necessary if we're in europa as three games in a week regularly and more travelling is going to be a totally new dynamic for this club for over a decade.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Like them or not but Newcastle are the template. Had a similar end to last season and got in Pope, Botman and Isak.

We need to find 2-3 similar and then we'll have a very strong squad when you think none of Cash, Coutinho or Kamara were involved today.

Good thing is that becomes necessary if we're in europa as three games in a week regularly and more travelling is going to be a totally new dynamic for this club for over a decade.

Yar afraid so. And Guimeares in the January to see out that season. Such quality. Could be a massive summer, beginning to think we only 2/3 players now as well. Don’t want to upset the Apple cart too much. Prior to Emery I pretty much wanted a whole new squad! And manager! 

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Did this need a seperate thread though?

Top 4 is within top 7 lol

It the thread name was “Race for Champions League 22/23” it could make sense. Now it just like a cheap copy of the original thread.

• Like 1