Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

17 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

We are getting 4th. There is no doubt.

Anyone who disagrees can f**k off to misery corner

After Arsenal's win against Leeds its now mathematically impossible for us to win the league so we'll now just have to concentrate on finishing Top 4.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Will be even worse in 18 months time. They're introducing CL wildcards so two highest rating countries will get extra place if you have "legacy." So basically Liverpool/Chelsea/Man. United will get in if premier league remains at top of rankings and one of them finishes 5th.

Its only one per country and UNited for example have done nothing in Europe really in recent times

1 minute ago, SecretVillaScout said:

I'm so confused. are you saying 8th place could potentially mean Europe?

If United win Europa League but finish outside of Top 4. We're cheering for United to shit the bed in league but keep winning in Europe 🤞

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Back to 9 points and a game in hand. 

Right, I wasn’t trying to say they’ve had a bad season - but even now it would be three points if we had won that game not the other way around. Point was that it’s fine margins and at the time we played that game (the last one before Emery was appointed) they were in the CL spots and we were 17th. It’s been a remarkable few months.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SecretVillaScout said:

Do we really want Newcastle to get champions league tho?

One time appearance in CL is meaningless, look at Leicester.

And if Newcastle will get unlimited backing from Saudi state then only City can compete with them over coming decade anyway. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alakagom said:

If United win Europa League but finish outside of Top 4. We're cheering for United to shit the bed in league but keep winning in Europe 🤞

Can’t find anything that suggests 8th would earn a euro place. It looks like it’s possible to have more than 7 teams in Europe, but only with sides outside the top 7 qualifying by other means. Suggested scenarios where you might expect 8th to result in qualification seem to result in losing the conference league place entirely instead.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

How we getting on with the old fair play stuff? Or has Martinez fu*ked that for us?

We were near the bottom before Christmas but I dont think is a European spot anymore for it

• Like 1

I'm not sure we'll get Europe - but I know that it's going to part of Unai's conversations with the players.

I suspect if we keep up our current form we will be denied only by unfavourable results from other European-vying sides.

It's a little out of our hands since we started this run after reaching the heady heights of 17th under the former manager.

5 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

I'm not sure we'll get Europe - but I know that it's going to part of Unai's conversations with the players.

I suspect if we keep up our current form we will be denied only by unfavourable results from other European-vying sides.

It's a little out of our hands since we started this run after reaching the heady heights of 17th under the former manager.

Well, it's not entirely out of our hands.  6 of our last 10 games are teams above us, teams we can take points off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Europe place is realistic goal

All depends on our next few games.  If we get 6 points of Leicester and Forest, we are right in the mix, if we don't probably a top half will be as good as we can hope for, which given where we were when Emery took over, is a massive achievement.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Europe place is realistic goal

I dont think we have enough for top 6.

All it takes is watkins to pick up a injury and we are done for. Same with mings. You might say we have carlos but hw hasnt played in pver 3 months. Squad depth is also not the best at the mo so a few injuries and i think will be over.

Looking at the fixtures we have newcastle at home, utd away, spurs home and liverpool away.  Those are 4 tough fixtures.

Like i said 8th -9th is where i think we will finish. Anything more will be a bonus 

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont think we have enough for top 6.

All it takes is watkins to pick up a injury and we are done for. Same with mings. You might say we have carlos but hw hasnt played in pver 3 months. Squad depth is also not the best at the mo so a few injuries and i think will be over.

Looking at the fixtures we have newcastle at home, utd away, spurs home and liverpool away.  Those are 4 tough fixtures.

Like i said 8th -9th is where i think we will finish. Anything more will be a bonus 

Wonderful attitude. Hypothetical injuries which all the teams above us could also suffer, not to mention some of them are in disarray. We've lost to Pool Arsenal City Leicester under Emery and arguably should've got points out of at least 2 of those. Have some faith man FFS

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1