Weekends Football 2/4 September

andykeenan

On VAR, I think the ref could get called to the screen to be told that he may have missed something. He then gets one chance to review the action at full speed - a virtual do-over as a single opportunity to re-rule on something that 3 onfield officials have somehow missed. 

If he can't decide at a glance, then the onfield decision stands.

• Like 1

Just now, StanBalaban said:

On VAR, I think the ref could get called to the screen to be told that he may have missed something. He then gets one chance to review the action at full speed - a virtual do-over as a single opportunity to re-rule on something that 3 onfield officials have somehow missed. 

If he can't decide at a glance, then the onfield decision stands.

It's works in cricket because there are certainties. Hawkeye and the snickometer. Teams have the option to question a decision or not, and that's what makes it fair. 

Football isn't the same, VAR checks everything regardless of what the ref thinks. That's the problem with VAR. 

Plus it does seem heavily weighted toward certain teams

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Talldarkandransome said:

It's works in cricket because there are certainties. Hawkeye and the snickometer. Teams have the option to question a decision or not, and that's what makes it fair. 

Football isn't the same, VAR checks everything regardless of what the ref thinks. That's the problem with VAR. 

Plus it does seem heavily weighted toward certain teams

But offside is a certainty. Maybe they should stop letting humans make a judgment call and let everything play out. Then VAR just checks it afterwards.

Just now, jacketspuds said:

But offside is a certainty. Maybe they should stop letting humans make a judgment call and let everything play out. Then VAR just checks it 

If VAR checks stuff afterwards it opens the door to changing results after the event and that's just wrong. 

Offside is a tricky one cos it's lines (that doesn't exist in cricket). I've always favoured the attacker (unless it's obvious) cos football is about goals. Using VAR to measure millimetres is wrong, millimetres is not clear and obvious 

1 minute ago, Talldarkandransome said:

If VAR checks stuff afterwards it opens the door to changing results after the event and that's just wrong. 

Offside is a tricky one cos it's lines (that doesn't exist in cricket). I've always favoured the attacker (unless it's obvious) cos football is about goals. Using VAR to measure millimetres is wrong, millimetres is not clear and obvious 

Using the words "clear and obvious" in the PR spiel is still the biggest mistake PGMOL made 

• Like 1

Â