Weekends Football 2/4 September

andykeenan

Sack the lot of these Representatives for Wellingborough and bin VaR until an organisation knows what they are doing

Not fit for purpose and I'm fuming.

VAR brought in to disallow 25 years bangers into the top bin because some bloke who didn't touch the ball was offside from the initial corner.

Useless words removed!!!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

It was the right decision tbh, just an absolute joke how long it takes to get there

I'm not even convinced it is the right decision.  He doesn't touch the ball and the player behind him has to head it away anyway.

Just now, bobzy said:

I'm not even convinced it is the right decision.  He doesn't touch the ball and the player behind him has to head it away anyway.

I reckon a player going for a bicycle kick inches in front of of the defender probably impacts how he clears it

Just now, Davkaus said:

I reckon a player going for a bicycle kick inches in front of of the defender probably impacts how he clears it

In which case they need to remove the "interfering" part because any player being offside at any point is interfering with play to some extent (i.e: defender has to be aware they're there).

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

In which case they need to remove the "interfering" part because any player being offside at any point is interfering with play to some extent (i.e: defender has to be aware they're there).

I don't really like the rule as it is, but it tries to draw a distinction between today's decision and your hypothetical, the relevant parts are:

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

• interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
    • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
    • challenging an opponent for the ball or
    • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent 

Of course by trying to clarify one ambiguity, they've created another. What does it mean to impact an opponent? I'd say trying to play it that close to the defender clearly impacts the defender because he's so uncertain of if he can get the ball, and has to try and react at very short notice, but there's always going to be an argument the other way

VAR just proves that matchfixing still happens.  The entire argument against it just exposed corrupt officials and the English referees association was 100% against it.  I think they figured that if they made VAR reviews incredibly inconsistent and a complete shitshow, they can fix matches even easier than they were able to before VAR.  This kind of nonsense doesn't happen in other leagues with VAR...  Just England...

Â