ender4

Scenario below - what to do?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Scenario below - what to do?

• Return girl to mother
    • Leave girl where she is
    • Too hard to decide

Moral Choice to make:

A mum is a hard drug user & an alcoholic, has a drug dealer/pimp boyfriend, lives in a proper ghetto. Her 4 years old daughter is not abused or physically hurt in anyway, but is left alone for long periods of the day, and not really cared for well.

The daughter will probably not have a future, an education, will probably turn to crime, and may eventually end up like the mother.

The daughter is kidnapped by the girl's uncle & placed with upstanding members of their community (far away), who love children, where she will grow up in a loving family, always have anything she needs (mentally & materially), will have a good education & grow up with bright prospects.

A year after the kidnapping, the police have closed the case, due to no new leads.

YOU then find out where the girl is.

WHAT DO YOU DO?

1) Leave the girl in her new family (where she is happy) & maintain the status quo??

2) Call the police & have daughter returned to her REAL mother (who was distraught when her daughter went missing) & who the daughter should rightfully be with?

(ps - those who know where i got the scenario from, please don't spoil it)

Leave well alone.

Whats the catch?

There's no catch. The scenario is as described.

Its just a moral/ethical/philosophical question that was put to me, and it was too hard for me to call.

Depends how strong you feel for the rights of a mother & the law of the land (kidnapping!), against the potential future happiness/unhappiness of a girl.

Do two wrongs make a right, in this scenario?

I don't think this is a moral dilemma at all, perhaps Morals conflicting with legality

A moral decision would have the innocent party's best interests at heart which is surely the child staying with the new family

Legally however the uncle has committed a crime and the child should be reunited with her parents

IMO of course

Assuming the girls Uncle is the brother of the girls Mother, i.e. siblings, I don't think the crime of kidnapping should apply. Legally it should but ethically it's for the best.

The mother is waiving her rights to be a parent/guardian. Harsh but tough shit.

However, I'm sure some of the worlds greatest artists grew up under those conditions and made them what they are.

Assuming the girls Uncle is the brother of the girls Mother, i.e. siblings, I don't think the crime of kidnapping should apply. Legally it should but ethically it's for the best.

The mother is waiving her rights to be a parent/guardian. Harsh but tough shit.

Exactly. If the child was returned to the parent and the drug abuse continued, a single call to the Child Welfare could have the child taken into custody - which could also be responsible family.

I would have voted for "leave the child where she is, find the durggie mother and shoot her in the face ridding the world of one more waste of oxygen" but alas, it wasn't an option.

So I voted for the first one

morally and legally, option B for me.

if there is a social services case to answer, which there is, then the girl would them be removed from the maother and returned to the uncle (maybe) or some other responsible adult.

people should not take the law into their own hands like that. go though the proper channels etc.

That way, you may get the duaghter and the uncle united legally.

if there is a social services case to answer, which there is, then the girl would them be removed from the maother and returned to the uncle (maybe) or some other responsible adult.

people should not take the law into their own hands like that. go though the proper channels etc.

Agreed.

The girl shouldn't live with her mother, sure, but alerting the police/social services would take care of that anyway. Legally.

'xactly.

Please vote then, Jon. I'm looking a bit on my own in the poll at the mo. :(

There's some fairly superficial judgements been made, aren't there? Not that that is necessarily wrong.

It looks like people have just decided to accept the situation as presented

The daughter will probably not have a future, an education, will probably turn to crime, and may eventually end up like the mother.

against

placed with upstanding members of their community (far away), who love children, where she will grow up in a loving family, always have anything she needs (mentally & materially), will have a good education & grow up with bright prospects.

Is all that true? Is it possible that the "upstanding people" might not be quite as perfect as claimed?

Is it possible that the druggies might not be as bad as painted.

Is it possible that treatment for the druggy mother combined with the return of her daughter might not be a better solution?

Is it possible that in this hypotherical situation somone might not know what to do? is it possible that someone might answer that they would seek the advice of others, rather than just plumping for option 1 or option 2.

Because it isn't likely to be as simple as presented, at all.

It all seems very "Daily Mail" to me.

There's some fairly superficial judgements been made, aren't there? Not that that is necessarily wrong.

It looks like people have just decided to accept the situation as presented

against

placed with upstanding members of their community (far away), who love children, where she will grow up in a loving family, always have anything she needs (mentally & materially), will have a good education & grow up with bright prospects.

Is all that true? Is it possible that the "upstanding people" might not be quite as perfect as claimed?

Is it possible that the druggies might not be as bad as painted.

Is it possible that treatment for the druggy mother combined with the return of her daughter might not be a better solution?

Is it possible that in this hypotherical situation somone might not know what to do? is it possible that someone might answer that they would seek the advice of others, rather than just plumping for option 1 or option 2.

Because it isn't likely to be as simple as presented, at all.

well thought out.

This is the problem i had with the scenario.

how do we know what the future holds?

and that is why i couldn't decide between option 1 or 2, and why i gave a 3rd option of can't decide.

Â