Footnall At The Weekend, August 19-22

rjw63

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

They changed it so there has to be a gap, didn't they? To prevent exactly this kind of oddside

I’m not aware of this but possibly.

If so though they seemingly didn’t apply this for Jesus against Bournemouth or Eduoard against us

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He needed to be dropped about 30 games ago.  Their new left back looked good as well.

Malacia. My man of the match. He was superb and goal apart had Salah in his back pocket.

2 minutes ago, penguin said:

If so though they seemingly didn’t apply this for Jesus against Bournemouth or Eduoard against us

Lines didn't overlap for Eduoard.

9 minutes ago, penguin said:

Just had a look at Jesus. Yeah, not much in this.

The problem with the thicker lines, of course, is they've moved the decision point slightly, but it still results in a black/white dividing line where people can be offside by a cm. There will always be borderline calls, we've just moved the border.

rbulevee31j91.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

As a side tonight, watching the game in a pub in kiddy, reminder that it's the biggest game in the town, not baggies vs wolves or villa vs blues, 20m South of Birmingham the biggest game in this town is man utd vs Liverpool 

Its **** wank and **** both these teams and all these words removed 

They are no watching us at the moment, because were shit!

Even us fans will stop watching us soon, never mind anyone else.

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

Firstly, for marginal offside decisions, after the one-pixel lines are applied, the VAR puts on the thicker broadcast lines and where they overlap, those situations will now be deemed as onside.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1488423

I think everyone can accept that but how on earth was that Palace goal disallowed v us, basically were looking at parts of the arm again which goes against the spirit of game as Pearce said on comms.

19 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think everyone can accept that but how on earth was that Palace goal disallowed v us, basically were looking at parts of the arm again which goes against the spirit of game as Pearce said on comms.

That's not a technology issue though, that is just the video assistant ref sitting in the box looking at a screen and it is his interpretation of the the rules

18 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

That's not a technology issue though, that is just the video assistant ref sitting in the box looking at a screen and it is his interpretation of the the rules

It would actually make more sense if VAR was a computer that made the decision. Cut out the corruption or institutional bias that exists.

31 minutes ago, ender4 said:

It would actually make more sense if VAR was a computer that made the decision. Cut out the corruption or institutional bias that exists.

I don't believe there is any corruption with the VAR, that is just too far fetched. There will of course be bias as there is with any human decision. It is not possible to get a computer to make the decision. Computers are dumb and only do what they are told to do. This means that the rules of the game need to be very defined and open to zero interpretation. The rules of football are deliberately set in a way that they can be interpreted. This may seem silly, but it does give the ref the ability to make a judgement call and he/she can decide if there was intent from the player, this level of interpretation can't be made by a computer (yet!). 

IMO, The only way to fix the issues with inconsistent referring decisions is to make the process much more open to scrutiny and have penalties for poor referring. Maybe a points system for poor decisions that results in bans from referring games and a financial impact to how much they get paid. Currently, there are no consequences for refs for doing a bad job. It is not that difficult to fix but it will cost money. Refs don't get paid much and if they are subjected to financial penalties they will, somewhat understandably, strike or revolt.

Maybe they need to be paid more money and we could attract better quality and also implement financial penalties for poor performance or alternatively implement financial bonuses for good performances with very few errors in a game

7 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

I don't believe there is any corruption with the VAR, that is just too far fetched. There will of course be bias as there is with any human decision. It is not possible to get a computer to make the decision. Computers are dumb and only do what they are told to do. This means that the rules of the game need to be very defined and open to zero interpretation. The rules of football are deliberately set in a way that they can be interpreted. This may seem silly, but it does give the ref the ability to make a judgement call and he/she can decide if there was intent from the player, this level of interpretation can't be made by a computer (yet!). 

IMO, The only way to fix the issues with inconsistent referring decisions is to make the process much more open to scrutiny and have penalties for poor referring. Maybe a points system for poor decisions that results in bans from referring games and a financial impact to how much they get paid. Currently, there are no consequences for refs for doing a bad job. It is not that difficult to fix but it will cost money. Refs don't get paid much and if they are subjected to financial penalties they will, somewhat understandably, strike or revolt.

Maybe they need to be paid more money and we could attract better quality and also implement financial penalties for poor performance or alternatively implement financial bonuses for good performances with very few errors in a game

I get what you are saying, but I think that is much too harsh and does imply that many of the bad calls are made intentionally. I think the game is just too fast and they have a restricted viewpoint most of the time. Some refs understand the game better, can read it and have a better cognitive ability.

What I would like to see is what they have in ice hockey. A disciplinary committee that studies situations post-game and can rescind or hand out penalties. I think that would benefit the game overall, and could also lead to more internal review and discussion of decision to increase understanding of why things got called the way they were.

Just as in hockey, I would love to have retroactive punishment for diving as well, with repeat offences punished harder.

3 hours ago, daft said:

I get what you are saying, but I think that is much too harsh and does imply that many of the bad calls are made intentionally. I think the game is just too fast and they have a restricted viewpoint most of the time. Some refs understand the game better, can read it and have a better cognitive ability.

What I would like to see is what they have in ice hockey. A disciplinary committee that studies situations post-game and can rescind or hand out penalties. I think that would benefit the game overall, and could also lead to more internal review and discussion of decision to increase understanding of why things got called the way they were.

Just as in hockey, I would love to have retroactive punishment for diving as well, with repeat offences punished harder.

100% agree with the retrospective punishments. It would lead to be a big improvement in overall discipline by players. I do think that the ref doing VAR should be subject to financial penalties e.g. Cucurella hair pull. There is no occasion that can not be considered a foul. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

A guy in the pub last night said 10 minute sin bin if you get caught diving 

I like that idea 

Make them wear a bright t-shirt saying “cheat” across it whilst serving the 10 minutes.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

Â