Match Ticket Pricing

ender4

Looking at the West Ham tickets which went on sale today.   

There are normal tickets, then tickets that show as RV which are restricted view and are £1 cheaper, then some seats in a row which have an exclamation mark (!) on the seats. Any idea what these seats mean?

Also are the restricted view seats actually that bad a view?  

4 hours ago, ender4 said:

There are normal tickets, then tickets that show as RV which are restricted view and are £1 cheaper, then some seats in a row which have an exclamation mark (!) on the seats. Any idea what these seats mean?

I've sat in a few of them. Upper Witton which has rails where the exits are means you have to duck a little if you want a good view of corners being taken by the away fans but can see the other parts of the pitch no problem.

Restricted view in the Holte is that corner by the Witton. Can't see any of the corner part again by North stand but rest of pitch is fine.

Last season I got a RV ticket for Norwich at home for 22 quid so really hiked it up if that same ticket is probably 34 quid now.

That's the sad part. @bobzy expressing surprise we haven't lowered match day prices, we've actually raised them by 10 quid in most parts of the ground! Hits home when I was looking at North stand upper for Everton and every ticket up there now costs 35 quid. It's always been 25 quid for half the games up there.

Can't see it changing after new stand is built either.

18 hours ago, ender4 said:

I used to have restricted view season ticket. Was noticeable cheaper than similar seats a few metres away. £1 reduction on these seats is again an absolute piss take.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I used to have restricted view season ticket. Was noticeable cheaper than similar seats a few metres away. £1 reduction on these seats is again an absolute piss take.

I imagine Purslow and marketing team were scrutinizing the data over resale tickets and noticed there was good uptake on the RV seats considering plenty of them were priced at about 22 quid and you can still see majority of game so modifying the price to just below the standard matchday prices was logical thing to do from their viewpoint.

Basic point to this is it's hard to justify the price increases when you're finishing 14th in the league so pressure is really on Gerrard now.

Just bought Upper Trinity tickets for me and my 18 yo daughter for the Man City game, not even in the expensive seats.

£95 was the cost.

If it wasn't the last one before she goes to uni I would have cancelled in protest at Villa ripping off the fans.

Absolute extortion. Last one I can afford for a while. 

• Shocked 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that there are still 350 left for the West Ham game this weekend - despite them having been on general sale for over a week, and that there are over 2,000 tickets still available for the Man City game, despite that having gone on general sale yesterday.

There were lots of games last season where general sale didn't happen, and very few where it had these levels - West Ham might be the first time since we were promoted that we haven't sold all our tickets - and to have 2,000 still on general sale for the visit of one of the 'big' sides would have been unheard of last season.

This might be a bit of an indicator for the club that they've stretched things far enough.

41 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Interesting that there are still 350 left for the West Ham game this weekend - despite them having been on general sale for over a week, and that there are over 2,000 tickets still available for the Man City game, despite that having gone on general sale yesterday.

There were lots of games last season where general sale didn't happen, and very few where it had these levels - West Ham might be the first time since we were promoted that we haven't sold all our tickets - and to have 2,000 still on general sale for the visit of one of the 'big' sides would have been unheard of last season.

This might be a bit of an indicator for the club that they've stretched things far enough.

The City game is more understandable, what is the point of paying to watch the opposition hold the ball for most of the game. I wouldn't be surprised if fans of other clubs are not excited to watch City at this stage

46 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Up to 40% increases in season tickets, on the back of the worst decline in living standards for generations, plus the fact we have won 7 home league games in 12 months.

I am amazed we virtually sell out every game when you look at that!

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

Yes i think its a combination of things really, obviously the cost of living crisis, us putting on a poor showing so far this season, Birmingham not really being a footballing city in the same vein as Newcastle or Leeds (Loads of villa fans like myself commute into the city rather than live there, a lot of people in Birmingham not from the country so not into football or find it too expensive etc), plus a lot of the fans probably work in jobs which arent particualrly high paying so can find a more pressing need which the money can be spent on.

Its why it worries me about this mooted 50,000 expansion, we wouldnt fill it out if we are a mid table prem team imo. I respect the ambition but i think we need to make serious changes to the backrrom personnel in order to realise them

Back over for West Ham and got a seat in lower Holte near my friends who have ST. £39 I’m sure it was around £32 last season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

If you didn't have a season ticket would you really want to pay 40 quid for West Ham on Sunday which is the price for many parts of the ground. It then increases to nearly 50 quid for Man. City game where as things stand it's more likely to be a scoreline we got off them under DS than the two narrow defeats we had last season.

That's where the club have messed up imo raising matchday prices by 10 quid in all parts of the ground especially with the economic climate as it is. It's all well and good having thousands on waiting lists but not everyone is keen to pay the matchday prices they're charging compared to a year ago.

• Like 1

Well I guess we will find out if they got this right. If we start getting sub 40,000 crowds then no they haven't judged it right. If however we sell out, or get close to selling out every game then the board will satisfied they are pricing it at the right level and they will carry on with the expansion plans.

I vaguely remember back in November 1986 buying a ticket to watch Villa versus County in the second divison. If I remeber correctly it cost a tenner. Steve Hodge was still with us. 

Using this graph for inflation:image.png.0c2b1e2d596e7cd5a213645ccf14b319.png

the same ticket might cost 33 pounds these days. 

So while 40 quid while steep does not seem unreasonable for Premier League football. But I take the current economic climate. If they can hold prices steady for a year or two that would be great.

Â