Fantasy NFL 2022-'23

maqroll

So, controversial finish to a lot of leagues this season, but we have no need for an asterisk here, so congrats to Rhys!

Thanks to all for a fun, and relatively drama-free, season. Although I feel like the points system has worked perfectly well, I've noted the few bits of feedback we did receive throughout and we'll put them to a poll in a few months time.

Here's what we do have, for open discussion in the meantime:

1: 0.25 points per carry should be awarded to RBs
2: PPFD (point per first down) instead of PPR
3: Addition of a line backer spot?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Beastmix said:

So, controversial finish to a lot of leagues this season, but we have no need for an asterisk here, so congrats to Rhys!

Thanks to all for a fun, and relatively drama-free, season. Although I feel like the points system has worked perfectly well, I've noted the few bits of feedback we did receive throughout and we'll put them to a poll in a few months time.

Here's what we do have, for open discussion in the meantime:

1: 0.25 points per carry should be awarded to RBs
2: PPFD (point per first down) instead of PPR
3: Addition of a line backer spot?

Thanks for taking on the chalice @Beastmix, a sterling job done and bring on next season.  Is it worth agreeing the draft order now so we don't have to delay mock draft season?  Let me know if I've got anyone wrong here:

1. It Ertz When Eifert @Brumerican

2. Watership Brown @Xela

3. Cleveland Frowns @Hornso

4. Self Isolate @Dante_Lockhart

5. Lancs Villans @LancsVillan

6. The Brown Stuff @Tubby

7. Great Olof's Vikings @sexbelowsound

8. Area 51 ETs @abdomlahor

9. Amnesiacs @Beastmix

10. Punters Unanimous @rjw63

11. MAQ Attack @maqroll

12. Rhys @rhyscartwright_avfc

With regards to the suggested point changes, my early opinion on those:

• RB - yes
  • PPFD - no, keep PPR just less points i.e. 0.5 or 0.75
  • LB - not for me this, an added level of complexity that has the danger to take the fun out of it a bit.
  • A suggestion - change the flex to W/T only, just to spread the RBs out.

Edited by Tubby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve said it before, but personally I see no point in setting the draft order based on last season’s record. I’m not that bothered really but it makes more sense to just have it randomised.

Point scoring wise, in a league as deep as this I think a true PPR format would be better to let receivers operate on a more even field with the backs.

Another enjoyable season. Great job @Beastmix

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, abdomlahor said:

I’ve said it before, but personally I see no point in setting the draft order based on last season’s record. I’m not that bothered really but it makes more sense to just have it randomised, but making sure Punters Unanimous goes first.

Yes, I agree totally ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beastmix said:

I've added 'randomised draft order' to the list of suggestions for when we put it to a vote.

That's a lovely story but what you need to do here is remove that from your list of suggestions and then punch yourself in the groin for a few weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Hang on, I haven't endured a year of being absolutely gash, to then lose my high draft position! :( 

It's always a mixed perspective but for me, this is the point of fixing the order.

5 hours ago, Brumerican said:

That's a lovely story but what you need to do here is remove that from your list of suggestions and then punch yourself in the groin for a few weeks. 

hahaha, cool yer jets!

I'm against it myself... and, by the looks of it, quite a few of us feel the same.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a groin to ice pack... 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Tubby said:

Controversial additional suggestion for the draft order...

Fix it to this years results but don't snake the rounds...

Is that even possible?

It's possible, but it's a dreadful idea. It really skews the balance of the draft.

It works in the real NFL (theoretically) because of the nature of what it is. It only works in fantasy dynasty leagues.

13 hours ago, Beastmix said:

It's possible, but it's a dreadful idea. It really skews the balance of the draft.

It works in the real NFL (theoretically) because of the nature of what it is. It only works in fantasy dynasty leagues.

I mean, dreadful is a bit harsh.  Theoretically it should work if those that finished top, agree that the balance could/should tip in subsequent seasons.  Picking 12/13 in a snake is possibly a stronger position than 1/24 imo.  The cream always rises to the top regardless.  

Edited by Tubby

4 hours ago, Tubby said:

I mean, dreadful is a bit harsh.  Theoretically it should work if those that finished top, agree that the balance could/should tip in subsequent seasons.  Picking 12/13 in a snake is possibly a stronger position than 1/24 imo.  The cream always rises to the top regardless.  

Sorry, I didn't mean your idea was dreadful. I meant it's dreadful in practice (hence the reason nobody does this in re-draft leagues). The only reason the option even exists is for dynasty leagues... unless we want to start one of those from this season... [/DevilsAdvocate]

In theory, you're going to have half the league with the premium pick for each position. It makes things far less competitive.

I like preset to the previous years final standings. Adds to a sense of continuity and gives the last few teams in the standings some hope for the upcoming season.

• Like 1

Speaking of continuity....

We might consider making this a keeper league by allowing each manager to retain one player from the previous year (and losing the draft pick from the round in which that player was picked)...

Â