The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

11 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I would say they should have and really there should have been pressure earlier for them to do so. 

I don't think banks will make record profits though. I think the pre 2008 era was likely still where the record reckless risk taking lead to record profits. 

Tbh I thought todays headline was “record profits” for Natwest but it’s just “soaring of profits” (£3.6b for the half year).

In that specific case a lot should be going into the government bank account as they are nearly 40% tax payer owned.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Tbh I thought todays headline was “record profits” for Natwest but it’s just “soaring of profits” (£3.6b for the half year).

In that specific case a lot should be going into the government bank account as they are nearly 40% tax payer owned.

Yes profit back for Government. Also increases share value so when Government sell there's more money too

37 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Gone are the days these multi billion pound cooperates help the working class. All the spare profits go to the millionaire shareholders. 

Those days never really existed. Profits have always gone to the shareholders

A lot of shareholders of large multinational companies are pension companies

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

A lot of shareholders of large multinational companies are pension companies

I was just going to say that. Pension funds are shareholders of energy companies and banks. The better they do, the better people's pensions look. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Xela said:

I was just going to say that. Pension funds are shareholders of energy companies and banks. The better they do, the better people's pensions look. 

Sure, but n the other hand, how much better would people's savings and pensions look if we weren't being continuously price gouged by a small group of mega corporations who have us by the balls.

We're paying for those profits, and the indirect boost to our pensions surely doesn't do a great deal to offset the direct costs we're paying.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Don't try and justify its a for the good of the people.

Correct 

No pension funds have any investments in these corporations. They are investing all funds in Twitter. 

9 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I was just stating a fact always omitted. If we didn't have rising stock market and asset markets we wouldn't have pensions to live off when we retired without massively increasing how much we have to put away each year. 

Edited by CVByrne
amusing typo

11 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Says the man with a property empire ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Locked in my new mortgage rate last week, ready for it to start in December.

It's going to be 50% more expensive per month than I currently pay.

How long did you opt for? Mine is due in a couple years

58 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Another interest rate rise coming

Stop this **** madness. Keep it at whats currwntly at ffs as inflation has dropped abit so keep it as it is and see if it continues to drop 

I really think there’s a danger this is going to rebound in quite a significant way. All the other major economies inflation rates have come down and as you say, ours is coming down now too but if they continue to they’re going to overcorrect and end up totally crashing the economy.

I already know of friends that aren’t paying some of their bills and some that have simply stopped paying mortgages. When this thing goes bad it’s going to happen really quickly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

Two years.

TBH, if the economy isn't looking a bit more sensible by then I'll probably move abroad again.

This is what im starting to lean towards. This country is losing its identity 

Just gone to shit

Â