The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I work from home 95% of the time. If it was cheaper I’d go into the office (40 miles away) more often.

And yet you drive your kids to school?!  **** sake Dave.

Troll GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 1

Sihock horror. All the truths coming out now. Energy companies profiteering, supermarkets profiteering, now the banks profiteering.

We bailed the banks out in 2017, an this is how they repay us, by ripping us as much as they can in times of need. Countries f*****ed, nothing to see here!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Sihock horror. All the truths coming out now. Energy companies profiteering, supermarkets profiteering, now the banks profiteering.

We bailed the banks out in 2017, an this is how they repay us, by ripping us as much as they can in times of need. Countries f*****ed, nothing to see here!!

It's deregulation and runaway capitalism that's the problem. Businesses have no moral or legal obligation to anyone but shareholders and until that changes their behaviour won't change.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

It's deregulation and runaway capitalism that's the problem. Businesses have no moral or legal obligation to anyone but shareholders and until that changes their behaviour won't change.

Nationalise a supermarket id happily pay abit more in tax if it meant foid was at a reasonable price then the rest of the greedy **** would start dropping their prices. One thing that pisses me off with tesco is they have a "price match" with aldi. Why match the price and not better it you rocket polishers

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Nationalise a supermarket id happily pay abit more in tax if it meant foid was at a reasonable price then the rest of the greedy **** would start dropping their prices. One thing that pisses me off with tesco is they have a "price match" with aldi. Why match the price and not better it you rocket polishers

I know your comment is in jest but I don't think the answer is nationalisation alone (although in case of vital national infrastructure that we paid to build like water, power and rail it clearly is!). When it comes to banking and supermarkets effectively price gouging it's proper laws to prevent it and a regulator with the teeth and balls to enforce it.

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

Totally agree, Thames Water 2 billion to share holders, now they are skint and we are expected to pay dor it!

55 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Was in London this weekend for a stag.

7.50 for a pint in most places.

**** me.

I went to a local non-league match (pre-season friendly) and they had Carling at £3.50 a pint or San Miguel for £4). Obviously I went San Miguel but I was surprised to see decent value for money). 

19 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Totally agree, Thames Water 2 billion to share holders, now they are skint and we are expected to pay dor it!

The situation with them makes me so **** angry. They're basically owned by other states sovereign wealth funds who have syphoned the money out, invested pretty much nothing, and now we're expected to pay.

Any reasonable government would be calling in the ambassadors to these countries and telling them that unless they stop taking the piss we're going to start enacting some very harsh laws to restrict investment that British companies can make in their countries.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Was in London this weekend for a stag.

7.50 for a pint in most places.

**** me.

I imagine that’s quite average for London. What was the pint?

Just now, bobzy said:

I imagine that’s quite average for London. What was the pint?

I haven't been drinking in London for probably 8 years? I am very out of the loop. I expected it but it's still mad.

Was drinking mostly Neck Oil.

13 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I haven't been drinking in London for probably 8 years? I am very out of the loop. I expected it but it's still mad.

Was drinking mostly Neck Oil.

Yeah, I haven't been there in years either.

Neck Oil up here is probably £5.50, which still seems crazy.

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

There's a massive problem with Tory ideology that causes this to happen - and you're dead right. Water companies the same with all the jobbies in the sea and rising bills. Same with all kinds of things that cause the cost of living to rise. The tories don't believe in regulating the markets and capitalism to protect customers and the population, they believe in libertarian ideals of no interference (and that they profit themselves from donations to keep it that way is a tidy beneficial side effect for them, if not the primary reason). There has to be a counter-balance to free market capitalism which is all about "if we can get away with it we should do it". There has to be a regulatory approach which says "look after the country and its people and environment and if you don't we'll punish you severely", but there isn't, currently.

Get the **** out. Never vote Tory

• Like 1

Just now, Wainy316 said:

I remembered when I still lived in Manchester post uni I wouldn't drink in the Northern Quarter because it was a whopping £3.60 a pint.

I still remember Tuesday and Thursday nights at a nightclub in Tamworth, £1 a drink for beer and spirits.

Â