Pre-Match Thread

Nigel

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

He completely changed the game when he came on at VP. Infuriating just watching us get pushed back and collapse that day. Arsenal did the same first half on Saturday, we just invited them on before they got the goal.

Neto will probably be back for them too

At least it looks like Digne will be back for us. Maybe Nakamba as well, though he’s probably unlikely to start.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue

16 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

At least it looks like Digne will be back for us. Maybe Nakamba as well, though he’s probably unlikely to start.

Nakamba came on for Luiz just as we made it 2-0 in the first game

Regardless of who ends up playing in this game, I'm not particularly confident going there.  I was going to say they seem to be flying at the minute, but actually after looking at their recent results, they've lost 4 of their last 6 including most recently to Leeds. And the 2 wins were against Watford and a scrape past Everton. So maybe my pessimism is ill-founded.  It looks like they'll be missing Neves, but Trincao looked very good against Leeds and Neto is close to a return.  If we can keep it tight and not gift Jimenez a goal then maybe.

With us at the moment it very much depends on how our formation matches up against the opposition. We either over-run them or get over-run. No middle ground. No draws.  We'll know early on whether it's going to be grim or not, because it also seems to be the case that Gerrard can't or won't change the flow of a game by using the bench.

Here's hoping against hope that we match up well.  But in a local derby, away from home, I think I'd take the draw if offered right now.

10 hours ago, Robbie09 said:

I think SJM is suspended as well.

No excuses Villa, my last 3 visits there have ended in defeat and it’s not great having the retards in the tier above us taking the piss.

We used to have a really good record there. I went to the Robbie Keane game in 2012 which was brilliant in a drab season. Was a late Heskey winner another season around that time.

We're due a result v them and I'd like to think the players will be extra motivated given they know the collapse last October effectively cost DS his job so personal pride in play.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

We have to find a way of accommodating Bailey Coutihno and Buendia together. I want the opposition afraid to push forward through fear of what will happen to them.

I'm not sure it's possible given the other personnel we have and I can't see the manager changing the system anyway.

I suspect only Coutinho will start.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure it's possible given the other personnel we have and I can't see the manager changing the system anyway.

You are most probably right, hard to do, PC first name on sheet,  he will most likely go back to Ollie and Danny. Back 5 pick themselves. DL and JJ too probably. Who gets the other spot?

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

You are most probably right, hard to do, PC first name on sheet,  he will most likely go back to Ollie and Danny. Back 5 pick themselves. DL and JJ too probably. Who gets the other spot?

Is this a trick question?

I'm going McGinn.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

We really should be playing 4-2-3-1 v likes of Norwich and Burnley just to see what plan B looks like v weaker teams. Palace aswell.

With Wolves I'd actually stick with what we're doing as they only really have two CMs. Moutinho will likely be flagging given he's playing twice for Portugal so big chance for us to overrun them a bit in central midfield if we get it right.

On 25/03/2022 at 12:16, VillaChris said:

According to Soccerbase McGinn is on 7 yellows in prem.

Yeah I don't remember any mention of McGinn picking up a tenth booking against Arsenal

Edited by roonst83

On 23/03/2022 at 15:07, Zatman said:

Moutinho never plays 90 minutes for Portugal, either comes off after an hour or subbed on at the hour

Plus, as I always end up spouting on here, we never ever seem to benefit from players or teams playing in midweek before a game against us. It's just a myth that we can take advantage because we never seem to. See Arsenal last week as a prime example. So frustrating. 

2 hours ago, roonst83 said:

Yeah I don't remember any mention of McGann picking up a tenth booking against Arsenal

Yeah but...which one?

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2