Pre-Match Thread

Nigel

31 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Wolves have a lot to play for - whereas our season is run. Expecting a loss, but perhaps we relax and play well.

Every match is important, £500,000 extra for finishing a place higher up the table and the added incentive of beating our local rivals

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Every match is important, £500,000 extra for finishing a place higher up the table and the added incentive of beating our local rivals

With the latest TV deal the merit share is now circa £2m a place 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Kingman said:

With the latest TV deal the merit share is now circa £2m a place 

£2.3m to be more exact.  Finishing 8th rather than 12th is basically £10m and can be the difference between being able to afford Coutinho’s wages next season or not.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, ender4 said:

£2.3m to be more exact.  Finishing 8th rather than 12th is basically £10m and can be the difference between being able to afford Coutinho’s wages next season or not.

Possibly also the difference between other potential players wanting to sign with us or not. 8th and we’ll be described in the press as a success story, 12th and we’ll get ridiculed for wasting big money like Everton.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Kingman said:

No chance of us finishing 8th. Realistically somewhere between 9th - 14th 

Considering the run ins the likes of Brighton and Southampton have got and they're on worse losing streaks than us 14th would be rubbish from Gerrard (not that I expect us to finish that low).

At worst I expect us to beat Norwich, Burnley once and perhaps Palace at the end. With a couple of draws that would take us up to 47 points and I think that would be just enough for 10th.

Hopefully though we can at least beat one team who'll finish above us this season so Wolves or Spurs would be good scalps to build confidence going into next season.

• Like 3

We're actually favourites to beat Wolves tomorrow despite them being 10 points ahead of us which tells us something. I suspect this is down to Jimenez and Neves being out and the recent form of Wolves which is very poor, although our good form was knocked back after 2 consecutive defeats.

We need to be finishing at least 10th this season to show progress, even if our points tally regresses from last season which is likely. I can handle us finishing below Leicester to some extent but would be pretty p*ssed off if we finished below any of Brighton, Southampton, Palace or the Barcodes. 

I think our motivation for the rest of the season needs to be to try to catch Wolves as unlikely as that is and beating them tomorrow gives us a chance especially as we have a very winnable game in hand on them. 

• Like 1

Im not really too fussed where we finish now, obviously the higher the better, id just like to see us look like we’re settling into beiny comfortable playing the way Gerrard wants us to. Just maintaining a standard of performance and witnessing clear signs that we can compete, look solid defensively and good going forward will do for me at the moment. I just dont think we’ll have that consistency though with our midfield that find it hard to control games. We’ve known we needed to strengthen there since we stayed up first year back, but still have failed to address it.

Going into this one I do think we have a good chance of winning given their absentees and the Villa having probably their most productive international break ever?

Watkins ⚽
Mings ⚽
Ramsey ⚽
McGinn ⚽
Coutinho ⚽
Bailey ⚽
Cash being on a high going to a world cup on top of his already impressive form, and finally, Lucas Digne playing very well on his return to the French side

Edited by BleedClaretAndBlue

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

We're actually favourites to beat Wolves tomorrow despite them being 10 points ahead of us which tells us something. I suspect this is down to Jimenez and Neves being out and the recent form of Wolves which is very poor, although our good form was knocked back after 2 consecutive defeats.

You are correct regarding being favourites as we are without Neves/Jimenez but whilst our form isn't great it isn't very poor. We were an awful refereeing decision away from winning 3 from the last 6 which would have been the same form as yourselves. 

I'd take a point right now if it was offered as I'm the sole Wolves supporter in a company full of Villa fans, some of whom have stated that they'll come in on Monday in full kit if they beat us! Don't worry I won't be back to to gloat if the result goes the other way as I enjoy reading the forum and seeing all of your views on your club.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baldricks Cunning Plan said:

You are correct regarding being favourites as we are without Neves/Jimenez but whilst our form isn't great it isn't very poor. We were an awful refereeing decision away from winning 3 from the last 6 which would have been the same form as yourselves. 

I'd take a point right now if it was offered as I'm the sole Wolves supporter in a company full of Villa fans, some of whom have stated that they'll come in on Monday in full kit if they beat us! Don't worry I won't be back to to gloat if the result goes the other way as I enjoy reading the forum and seeing all of your views on your club.

6 points from last 6 is pretty poor if you consider 4 of those 6 teams were in bottom half. Losses to Spam and Arse are understandable but losses to Palace and Leeds at home weren't great.

Then again we've only won twice against teams currently in top half (Leicester and ManU) which compares unfavourably to last season when we won about 10 games against the top 10.

If it ends a draw I'd be content for sure, though I think with your 2 best players missing I'd hope we could get all 3. Really depends which team turns up because we were absolutely woeful first half against Arsenal.

It feels like a draw to me, 1-1. Our recent record at Molineux is really bad going back to the championship seasons.

Losing would be very disappointing. Worse case is they score after 20 minutes, sit back and we just run into a roadblock for most of the game. I assume they'll start Neto and see if he can manage an hour as he's had a few sub cameos now so that's a decent threat on the counter.

Is Digne available?

Last time we beat them I think was in December 2020, with a 94th minute winning penalty from El Ghazi. Molineux has not been a great place for us though and neither has playing Wolves, whether it be home or away.  The 2-3 home defeat this season was the beginning of the end for Deano, so I’d very much like us to turn them over this weekend.

It will be a tight game with few chances but I think with Neves and Jimenez missing for them, we can sneak it.  1-0 win, maybe?  I know many don’t like this team or formation and I’d be ok with Ings starting in place of Buendia if Gerrard prefers. Digne back if a major plus and I’d like to see Chambers starting, as I think he’s much better with the football than Konsa.

Martinez 

Cash    Chambers      Mings    Digne

Ramsey     Luiz     McGinn

Buendia        Coutinho

Watkins

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Just had a look on the Wolves forum and most of them want Fabio Silva as CF instead of Hwang.

Interesting bunch aren't they.

Hwang has scored once (an intercepted back pass) since October. His general all round play is poor, he doesn't hold the ball up well and has yet to start as a traditional Number 9. Silva has had some promising cameos off of the bench albeit he has yet to find the net (3 assists in Cup games). He has only played for 250 odd minutes in the Premier League this season, the majority of those in his 2 starts.

On 31/03/2022 at 14:52, sir_gary_cahill said:

I don't think the prize money per place ever translates to footballers if I'm honest, it's not just us but definitley a Villa problem, I'm not convinced they care if we finished 8th or 10th or 12th

The local pride stuff might be something slightly different but again I always thought that was actually a Villa problem, they rose to the occasion and we didn't, I hated the first few years vs blues and baggies it was embarrassing how much more they wanted it, will be interesting to see what Gerrard’s first Midlands derby looks like

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Just had a look on the Wolves forum and most of them want Fabio Silva as CF instead of Hwang.

Interesting bunch aren't they.

He looks a decent player who is nowhere near ready 

Sure he's scored vs us before