Pre-Match Thread

Nigel

We could expect a good game from this one 🤞but after watching Arsenal, that was a bad one, particularly in the 2nd half.

Wolves threw away a 2 goal lead against Leeds, so who knows what’s going to happen.

Wolves have lost about 7 at home now including to likes of Palace and Leeds in last few weeks. Burnley also got a 0-0 there in December so defend well and we should get at least a draw imo. Think like us they've won more away than at home.

If we're as lax as v Arsenal then probably another 1-0 defeat as they're a very hard team to get points off if they go ahead in the game (apart from v Leeds but that was just a freak defensive display in last half hour).

We just need to get back to being hard to beat like we were last season. I believe we have the personnel to do this but I also think that the loss of Grealish has contributed significantly to us conceding more as he alleviated so much pressure on the defence. My team for this match would be: 

Martinez

Cash Chambers Mings (c) Digne (if not fit, Young, although he’s clearly not a left back)

McGinn Luiz Ramsey

Buendia Watkins Coutinho

Bench: Olsen, Konsa, Sanson, Traore, Bailey, Chukwuemeka, Iroegbunam

SG to mix it up and completely change things by switching to a 4-2-3-1

--------------Martinez------------------

Cash Chambers Mings Digne

---------McGinn Douglas-----------

Buendia Coutinho Bailey--------

---------------Watkins-------------------

Defensively... a disaster, but lethal going forward.  A 5-4 win for Villa.

On 21/03/2022 at 13:40, VillaParkAvenue said:

Looks like Neves will miss this due to injury, which should make them at least 30 percent worse.

Remains to be seen if that is enough but their game against Leeds was promising. Jesus what a disaster.

Jiminez out suspended too. The fans are owed at least a performance in this one. Wont go down well if we go out with a wimper again.

10 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Jiminez out suspended too. The fans are owed at least a performance in this one. Wont go down well if we go out with a wimper again.

On paper they have more to play for than we do, plus their fans should be furious after the disaster against Leeds.

But I agree it’s about time to beat them, ideally with a good margin.

22 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

On paper they have more to play for than we do, plus their fans should be furious after the disaster against Leeds.

But I agree it’s about time to beat them, ideally with a good margin.

2 games since we last beat them :D 

We seem to beat the teams around us - Brighton, Palace, Leicester, Leeds etc. - but lose to the top and bottom teams. The big question is are Wolves a top team or a team around us??

I think they will massively miss Neves and Jiminez so I would hope we can get 3 points. 🤞

I think Stevie will go with the same team as Arsenal with Digne replacing Ash if fit. Personally I would rest JJ and bring in either Sanson or Bailey (moving to 4-2-3-1).

19 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Neves been ruled out until May so not an option for them.

Would presume they'll go with Moutinho and Dendoncker. Moutinho will likely play both games for Portugal if they beat Turkey so he'll be a bit tired.

Really no excuse not to dominate midfield here despite our issues in CM.

20 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Would presume they'll go with Moutinho and Dendoncker. Moutinho will likely play both games for Portugal if they beat Turkey so he'll be a bit tired.

Moutinho never plays 90 minutes for Portugal, either comes off after an hour or subbed on at the hour

Edited by Zatman

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

At least we shouldn’t have to be bullied physically by Podence.

Neves and Jimenez are their 2 best players and they'll be significantly worse without them both that's for sure. Be like us missing Coutinho and Martinez.

Really should be looking to win this one given those aforementioned injuries and about time we put in a good performance for a full 90 minutes rather than 45 minutes here and there. 

Do your worst Villa, you never fail to amaze me.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

At least we shouldn’t have to be bullied physically by Podence.

He completely changed the game when he came on at VP. Infuriating just watching us get pushed back and collapse that day. Arsenal did the same first half on Saturday, we just invited them on before they got the goal.

Neto will probably be back for them too