Nigel

On 22/03/2022 at 13:09, duke313 said:

SG to mix it up and completely change things by switching to a 4-2-3-1

--------------Martinez------------------

Cash Chambers Mings Digne

---------McGinn Douglas-----------

Buendia Coutinho Bailey--------

---------------Watkins-------------------

Defensively... a disaster, but lethal going forward.  A 5-4 win for Villa.

That 2 has been tried umpteen times and has shown not to be effective.....but we continue playing it.

2 offensive players, in a defensive 2.......what should we really expect?

Edited by TRO

Need a good mentality out the gate. Players need to view this as a derby match and show some passion and grit for the full 90 minutes.  

They have been stumbing lately and have more to play for. Will be a very tough game.

I'm happy with a hard fought draw.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, picicata said:

They're a better team than us so a draw would be a good result. 

However, if we stick with the 4321 formation we will narrowly lose whilst having one shot on target.

Defensively yes but they're lacklustre going forward.  They'll also be missing their two best players.

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Defensively yes but they're lacklustre going forward.  They'll also be missing their two best players.

I guess that's what happens when you play 3 cb's - you look stronger defensively but effectively take a man out of midfield/attack?

Ollie looked pretty good in England training with some very sharp finishing.  I am hoping that we go with Ollie up top and PC and Bailey (now had a couple of 90 mins and some positive reports) in behind, knowing that Emi can come on and make a difference.

The biggest issue for me is in CM - I know most share this view - but it is not the personnel so much but how we end up playing.  Heat maps I have seen from a couple of recent games show DL - the supposed sitter - further forward than SJM and JJ!!  We need to get this shape right as either JJ or SJM or both of these need to be further forward and DL needs to sit a little deeper and shield the CB's.  Obviously, the full backs need to be a bit more disciplined as well.  Clearly, with Nakamba (or, hopefully next season, a better version of Nakamba) sitting in, this is easier to do as he is much more defensively minded, disciplined and energetic.

I think the fact that Jiminez and Neves are both out should mean that this is a highly winnable game.  It may well depend on whether we view them as a team around us (that we seem to beat more often than not under Stevie ... Brighton, Southampton, Leeds, Everton, etc.) or a team above us/in the "elite" (that we seem to lose to more often than not ... Arsenal, Wet Spam etc.).  Maybe the latter is what Gerard was referring to after the Arsenal game - that the team/some of the players don't seem to believe in the plan when they play the better teams.

7 hours ago, picicata said:

They're a better team than us so a draw would be a good result. 

However, if we stick with the 4321 formation we will narrowly lose whilst having one shot on target.

The one player from Wolves who 100% gets in our team is Neves and he ain’t playing on Saturday. Jimenez is not the player he was pre-injury but is still the best striker on their books, and he’s also not playing. Neto would have got in our team 12 months ago but he’s missed nearly 12 months of football since then, he’s only started one game since coming back (Palace home which they lost 2-0) and didn’t make the bench last 2 games so clearly got injured again. He won’t be anywhere near fully fit and doubtful he'll start.

They have a strong defence playing 5 at the back and are certainly greater than the sum of their parts but if we can’t take at least a point from this game, if not all 3, then it will once again be a game where this team have let themselves down. Wolves have trouble scoring and if we can breach their defence even just once we should be at least taking a draw. I feel we need all 3 though as Spurs, Liverpool and Leicester after this and we need a confidence-boosting win really. 

Gerrard was always great in derbies, he needs to ensure the team he manages are because we need to be well up for this right from the start. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

The one player from Wolves who 100% gets in our team is Neves and he ain’t playing on Saturday. Jimenez is not the player he was pre-injury but is still the best striker on their books, and he’s also not playing. Neto would have got in our team 12 months ago but he’s missed nearly 12 months of football since then, he’s only started one game since coming back (Palace home which they lost 2-0) and didn’t make the bench last 2 games so clearly got injured again. He won’t be anywhere near fully fit and doubtful he'll start.

They have a strong defence playing 5 at the back and are certainly greater than the sum of their parts but if we can’t take at least a point from this game, if not all 3, then it will once again be a game where this team have let themselves down. Wolves have trouble scoring and if we can breach their defence even just once we should be at least taking a draw. I feel we need all 3 though as Spurs, Liverpool and Leicester after this and we need a confidence-boosting win really. 

Gerrard was always great in derbies, he needs to ensure the team he manages are because we need to be well up for this right from the start. 

That's why I said they're the better team rather than they have the better players.

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

As the Mrs and her family are dogheads and still dining out on the 3-2 comeback we better smash them to bits 

Yeah, can't stand these since they got back from obscurity with their "mind the gap" bollocks. 

Custard Bowl Nobbers. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

As the Mrs and her family are dogheads and still dining out on the 3-2 comeback we better smash them to bits 

Well at least Leeds let them find out first hand how we felt that day 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Well at least Leeds let them find out first hand how we felt that day 

I may or may not have pointed this out several times to them🤣👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

Joao Moutinho has just played two big games in the last few days and with Neves already out, perhaps the midfield is where we could capitalise, dominate and control the game?

spacer.png

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Joao Moutinho has just played two big games in the last few days and with Neves already out, perhaps the midfield is where we could capitalise, dominate and control the game?

Dendoncker usually has good games v us although their fans don't rate him at all. Think only other CM they actually have is Luke Cundle who's a young player although he did start in their win at Spurs.

Would be interesting to see what backline they put out given some of the goals they gifted to Wolves. Ollie always struggles v physical CBs so think they'll start Wily Boly who hasn't played much this season.

43 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Dendoncker usually has good games v us although their fans don't rate him at all. Think only other CM they actually have is Luke Cundle who's a young player although he did start in their win at Spurs.

Would be interesting to see what backline they put out given some of the goals they gifted to Wolves. Ollie always struggles v physical CBs so think they'll start Wily Boly who hasn't played much this season.

They’ll probably stick with their usual 3-4-2-1 formation then and play Moutinho and Dendoncker in the middle.

With no Jimenez as well, we have a real chance of getting a positive result I reckon. 

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

On 28/03/2022 at 17:35, TRO said:

That 2 has been tried umpteen times and has shown not to be effective.....but we continue playing it.

2 offensive players, in a defensive 2.......what should we really expect?

I agree McGinn/Luiz aren’t a great combination as a midfield two, mainly because McGinn doesn’t seem to have the patience to be a holding mid, but it still worked some games last season.

I know they were the midfield two in the 7-2 game against Liverpool, and checking back they also played in a 4231 against Arsenal 3-0, Palace 3-0 and West Brom 3-0 around the same time.