Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

I just can’t fathom how all of the highly paid people who work in our recruitment department have supposedly scoured the world for a new CB and then plumbed for a 26 year old, average centre back who was on the bench last week for a mid-table team who can’t defend.

If it’s £15m, it’s a crazy decision. If it’s a loan with no option to buy it’s slightly more palatable - but just reeks of panic.

Edited by Cizzler
  • Like 3

Just now, Cizzler said:

I just can’t fathom how all of the highly paid people who work in our recruitment department have supposedly scoured the world for a new CB and then plumbed for a 26 year old, average centre back who was on the bench last week for a mid-table team who can’t defend.

If it’s £15m, it’s a crazy decision. If it’s a loan with no options it’s slightly more palatable - but just reeks of panic.

Have you seen United's scouting this season? Its horrendous. And that's from one of the biggest clubs in the world.

My gut feeling is that the scouts themselves are good at their job. But its the upper management who decide what players to buy who are choosing against the scouts recommendation.

3 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Have you seen United's scouting this season? Its horrendous. And that's from one of the biggest clubs in the world.

My gut feeling is that the scouts themselves are good at their job. But its the upper management who decide what players to buy who are choosing against the scouts recommendation.

🤔 Interesting…

Maybe that’s the problem we have here now…

We ain't going to be spending another £25m on a central defender or whatever it may take. They will be banking on Carlos coming back to the same he was before injury and he will partner Konsa. This signing whoever it is will be a stop gap for this season.

In the summer maybe one of Mings or Chambers, Konsa gets moved on but that's not happening until then.

25 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

If it’s £15m, it’s a crazy decision. If it’s a loan with no option to buy it’s slightly more palatable - but just reeks of panic.

We aren't spending £15m on him. That figure is pure fiction - it's what a local journalist said he hoped the club could get for him. Now it's become accepted as fact without any evidence.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pissflaps said:

We ain't going to be spending another £25m on a central defender or whatever it may take. They will be banking on Carlos coming back to the same he was before injury and he will partner Konsa. This signing whoever it is will be a stop gap for this season.

In the summer maybe one of Mings or Chambers, Konsa gets moved on but that's not happening until then.

Tbf pretty much every signing we've made since Gerrard joined is a "win now" signing. It's not working obviously but I suspect Gerrard doesn't have time on his side to just have us be OK-ish for a season. He'll be gone if that happens.

Bednarek is a stop gap to make sure we are not even worse than now. Would make more sense for Gerrard and Villa to either go potential or starting 11 quality. It'll cost more or require scouting but would be the right way IMO.

Bednarek is a "lazy" half measure that maybe buys us time I don't think we (Gerrard) have.

I will add that I am equally sceptical about the Diallo story. Yet there’s no thread or anything - but it’s just as speculative as Bednarek at this point. People would rather just self-flagellate about how terrible we are. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Thoughts on Bednarek?

Think we could do (a lot) better?

It’s a difficult one. We need a stop gap so always going to be a difficult market to shop in. But a few things that frustrate me. He’s not great with the ball and one of the reasons we signs Carlos was that he is. So are we abandoning our strategy? Also what is the point of all these recruitment experts if we keep signing players I would sign on FIFA 3 years ago because I am lazy. On the flip side we lack physical presence and he adds that and he is a threat in both boxes. If we spend £15m on him I will be worried.

• Like 3

Again, the £15m figure was a local Southampton journalist speculating on what he’d hope the club would sell him for - having admitted a deal wasn’t close. That figure was uncritically reposted by a TalkSport journo who said in Jan we were signing Darren Randolph on loan. 

5 minutes ago, omariqy said:

It’s a difficult one. We need a stop gap so always going to be a difficult market to shop in. But a few things that frustrate me. He’s not great with the ball and one of the reasons we signs Carlos was that he is. So are we abandoning our strategy? Also what is the point of all these recruitment experts if we keep signing players I would sign on FIFA 3 years ago because I am lazy. On the flip side we lack physical presence and he adds that and he is a threat in both boxes. If we spend £15m on him I will be worried.

As long as it’s just a loan, I’m not going to complain too much… especially if we are doing more business.

I am getting the impression that our scouting/recruitment departments are possibly getting overruled, maybe by the manager himself, quite regularly…

I don’t see why we hired Rob Mackenzie… where are these hidden gem type of signings? 

We just seem to be after the “tried and tested type” which isn’t necessarily bad so long as we don’t just focus on the PL, overpay, and overlook quality players from abroad.

Tbf, Kamara and Carlos are top class signings. I hope we continue in that vein… but I am also feeling a little concerned now.

God, we need a class midfielder… desperately…

McGinn is a problem, especially as captain 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah I just saw this. 🤔

Also reported by Birmingham Live yesterday.

He's Left Footed.

Is it feasible that we sign two CBs? 🤷‍♂️

I can’t even come close to calling our targets or activity…

I’m desperate for us to sign that top class midfielder… that’s got to be the priority…

Time is running out, I really hope we have deals in the pipeline or lined up for completion/announcement…

We need to be in a much stronger position by the time the window closes…

1 hour ago, sne said:

Tbf pretty much every signing we've made since Gerrard joined is a "win now" signing. It's not working obviously but I suspect Gerrard doesn't have time on his side to just have us be OK-ish for a season. He'll be gone if that happens.

Bednarek is a stop gap to make sure we are not even worse than now. Would make more sense for Gerrard and Villa to either go potential or starting 11 quality. It'll cost more or require scouting but would be the right way IMO.

Bednarek is a "lazy" half measure that maybe buys us time I don't think we (Gerrard) have.

I do feel we overpaid for Digne, both on fee and wages. I don’t think he warrants that wage… makes him more difficult to shift as he gets older and declines…

For now, I just hope he can show his best form because, on his day, he is a quality LB.

But, I can’t lie, I prefer younger players that will develop, grow and improve with the team as we go along… not a fan of short term signings really… a bit of longevity is nice…

I see Ings in the same way… so costly…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1