Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

35 minutes ago, Rolta said:

His control isn't bad at all

Come off it, his first touch is poor.  Even when he was flying the first season, we said his first touch was poor but his other skills far outweighed that but last when his other skills were less prevalent last season that first touch really stood out.

16 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Come off it, his first touch is poor.  Even when he was flying the first season, we said his first touch was poor but his other skills far outweighed that but last when his other skills were less prevalent last season that first touch really stood out.

It’s always good to have at least one outstanding attribute. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rolta said:

I've seen some really bad first touches from a lot of great strikers in the league. Watkins' touch isn't exclusively bad. Sometimes it's bad and sometimes it isn't. For me, I just think people jump on the negative instances way too much and I think people often ignore the good. You see it with other players too—they do one bad thing and then that's what they get judged on. I think it's unrealistic.

He's not a £80million striker, but he's a good Premier League striker.

While I agree somewhat I would adjust.  When you’re having a good season your flaws are ignored/forgiven but when you’re having bad season you’re flaws are more obvious and more part of the problem which furthers fans frustration.

I agree he’s not exclusively the only one with a bad touch around the league but he’s our only one and he’s our main striker and his positive attributes aren’t showing up for what seems a long time.

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

While I agree somewhat I would adjust.  When you’re having a good season your flaws are ignored/forgiven but when you’re having bad season you’re flaws are more obvious and more part of the problem which furthers fans frustration.

I agree he’s not exclusively the only one with a bad touch around the league but he’s our only one and he’s our main striker and his positive attributes aren’t showing up for what seems a long time.

I’d agree and it’s often not just based on the kind of season a player is having but individual games. If we win, particularly if the player scores, then all is good. If we lose or draw the game people are always searching for reasons. To some extent it’s human nature but football tends to pick out and exaggerate most things. Let’s face it on most football forums players are either regarded as world class or garbage. That can sometimes change game to game or even minute to minute, certainly if there’s a goal involved. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’d agree and it’s often not just based on the kind of season a player is having but individual games. If we win, particularly if the player scores, then all is good. If we lose or draw the game people are always searching for reasons. To some extent it’s human nature but football tends to pick out and exaggerate most things. Let’s face it on most football forums players are either regarded as world class or garbage. That can sometimes change game to game or even minute to minute, certainly if there’s a goal involved. 

Yeah the amount of times a player gets MOTM despite a poor game yet scores a late goal so gets the match honour.

2 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I feel that Watkins has been pretty consistently the same in both seasons. I'd say he's been bang on identical. The same variety of touches was there in his first season as last season. The same inconsistent finishing was there. And on the plus side, the same hard work was there. The same hassling of defenders and athleticism. The same ability to get some goals.

I’m sorry but I don’t agree with this.  The Ollie of last season was not the same as the first season.

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m sorry but I don’t agree with this.  The Ollie of last season was not the same as the first season.

We disagree with each other.

It doesn't mean anything I know and it's still just my subjective interpretation against yours but I've watched him really closely (I'm sure we all have to be fair!). I'm from around Exeter/Newton Abbot and I love seeing someone from Devon in our team. I believe I saw all the same flaws both seasons. He has his limitations, but his level is still decent and upgrading is not going to be easy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rolta said:

We disagree with each other.

It doesn't mean anything I know and it's still just my subjective interpretation against yours but I've watched him really closely (I'm sure we all have to be fair!). I'm from around Exeter/Newton Abbot and I love seeing someone from Devon in our team. I believe I saw all the same flaws both seasons. He has his limitations, but his level is still decent and upgrading is not going to be easy.

As somebody else living in South Devon I’m also chuffed to have a player from Devon in our team. Friends of mine played 7 a side against him a few years back and he was ridiculously good (and humble apparently). 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not singling you out bud but he did have his first child last year as well and anyone who’s had kids will tell you, they’re knackering.

I remember in one of the vids from when the players returned for preseason testing you can he Ollie talking to Sanson and saying something like ‘it’s different when you have kids’. 

I think for where we are now he’s a decent striker, for where we want to go, perhaps not. 

I don’t get why a lot of us have decided a certain players such as Watkins isn’t good enough based on last seasons inconsistency. Did the season before that never happen ?

Let’s see how they get on this season before completely making our mind up about them. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, burchy said:

Not singling you out bud but he did have his first child last year as well and anyone who’s had kids will tell you, they’re knackering.

I remember in one of the vids from when the players returned for preseason testing you can he Ollie talking to Sanson and saying something like ‘it’s different when you have kids’. 

I think for where we are now he’s a decent striker, for where we want to go, perhaps not. 

Yeah I had mentioned that exact point to a buddy of mine. But then I figured he would have to have hired some help in the house for late night feeds etc, no?

Depends how hands on he and his partner are with the little one. I guess you can buy whatever when he’s on what he’s on but he seems like a family orientated type of bloke so perhaps the ‘nanny’ might not have happened. 

I always remember the one bit of advice I got before my daughter was born, ‘get some sleep’. I laughed it off at the time, only bit of advice I should have listened to 😴

31 minutes ago, burchy said:

Not singling you out bud but he did have his first child last year as well and anyone who’s had kids will tell you, they’re knackering

As a father I agree entirely. However I’d have to say a footballers life is difficult to compare to most of ours. The average job means a person goes out for perhaps 9 or 10 hours a day. Whereas a footballer perhaps on a none match day probably usually is just out for the morning and is super fit too. 

I’m not sure the tiredness would be such a big factor. For me perhaps it was more the complete change in absolutely everything I knew or perceived before the day arrived. It was certainly a game changer! Maybe Ollie lost a bit of focus, hopefully he’ll recapture it this season. 

Footballers on the wages he is on will have a lot of help with children. I doubt he gets up in the night at all and his tiredness will be from his work. 

Sorry, I just can’t get on board with the idea his new child is the reason he struggled last year. If anything, I think it would make him better as when I had my children my performance at work increased I think because everything was about providing for them rather me going out and getting pissed. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t get why a lot of us have decided a certain players such as Watkins isn’t good enough based on last seasons inconsistency. Did the season before that never happen ?

Let’s see how they get on this season before completely making our mind up about them. 

To be fair you probably should judge a player on a sample of last season. 

If not, then Konsa should be our starting CB.