Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

44 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Tell me more, Dave.

“My sources say,” is the stock answer. I asked @CarryOnVilla and he confirmed that is the industry standard response. 

Seriously I heard from a mate of a mate type, but there has been some press rumours earlier in the window. I know he’s similar to JJ  but I’d say he’s further along than JJ. He’s the type of hard working, high energy, nightmare to play against that would be an asset to our midfield. I believe the situation is he would come but Chelsea aren’t going to let him go until a suitable replacement is signed. August is probably the time when/if it happens. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

“My sources say,” is the stock answer. I asked @CarryOnVilla and he confirmed that is the industry standard response. 

Seriously I heard from a mate of a mate type, but there has been some press rumours earlier in the window. I know he’s similar to JJ  but I’d say he’s further along than JJ. He’s the type of hard working, high energy, nightmare to play against that would be an asset to our midfield. I believe the situation is he would come but Chelsea aren’t going to let him go until a suitable replacement is signed. August is probably the time when/if it happens. 

My sources say CG can’t wait to play alongside Nakamba. 

but wait, is he a Nike guy? If so, I may get some real intel 

4 hours ago, Villa87 said:

If Buendia, Bailey and Ings start firing in addition to good transitions from Carlos and Kamara then I think we will be knocking on the door of top 6. 

Only if that is the number of Mings' house.  The Sly 6 have players on the bench who would walk into our starting XI.  The chances of us finishing close to the Top 6 next year are a long way short of about 10%.  We would need so many things to go in our favour and almost nothing to go against us.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, allani said:

Only if that is the number of Mings' house.  The Sly 6 have players on the bench who would walk into our starting XI.  The chances of us finishing close to the Top 6 next year are a long way short of about 10%.  We would need so many things to go in our favour and almost nothing to go against us.

We can finish 7th 😉

Get 7th, get the conference league or whatever it's called, blood the youngsters in the group stage at home to the team that finished 5th in the Latvian league and watch them take a big step forward same way at what arsenal and Chelsea did with their youngsters 

Then we can start looking at the top 6

10 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

My sources say CG can’t wait to play alongside Nakamba. 

but wait, is he a Nike guy? If so, I may get some real intel 

I thought all your intel was real!

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

We can finish 7th 😉

Get 7th, get the conference league or whatever it's called, blood the youngsters in the group stage at home to the team that finished 5th in the Latvian league and watch them take a big step forward same way at what arsenal and Chelsea did with their youngsters 

Then we can start looking at the top 6

Not with our current squad.  We are too unbalanced.  Player for player we might not be too far away but West Ham, Leicester, Wolves and probably Palace have better balance as a team.  Plus Newcastle will be much better than they were last season.  Expecting the current team to finish higher than 10th is asking for an awful lot of things to become aligned at the same time.

Fwiw I think CG would be a fantastic signing. He has loads of ability but on top of that the guy runs his socks off. He’s everywhere. Almost like an in shape John McGinn that can do a short pass.

Pretty sure he’d be a fans favourite.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zak said:

Compare the squad and Ings/Watkins to West Ham's Squad and Antonio.

Pick a starting 11 from both teams. Hopefully it'll give you abit of reassurance it is possible 

Not really.  West Ham are a much more balanced squad with players that fit the way they play.  Declan Rice would be a transformational signing for us because he would add the balance that (even with Kamara) we are so badly lacking.  But even if Rice is the only West Ham player you would pick (and in my case it isn't - he's one of about five) that is a bit like saying that we are only a Man City striker away from challenging the Top 6.  Put it another way - I can almost guarantee you that if you asked the average West Ham fan to do the same they would pick more Hammers than Villa players in their combined XI.

I do think we are only one (maybe two) signings away from being more than comparable to some of the clubs above us.  But that has to be the right player and someone that can give us the balance that we have been missing the last 2 or 3 seasons.  We are making good progress and I think we've made some really good signings this season.

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

I disagree - the midfield was absolutely fine and Ramsey will be even better this time round, with a season under his belt.  The main issue we had (IMO), was that the defensive midfield role was either too soft (Luiz) or not technically good enough (Nakamba) and allowed opposition teams to get at our defence too easily.  Kamara will be the player to make us more solid there - although, as I say, he'll need time to settle in.

McGinn and Ramsey are a great mix of creative output and combative in chasing the ball.  I imagine we may look for another Kamara-esque player in case we want to play a "double pivot", but I don't think we have a problem with the rest of the midfield now that the defensive issue is hopefully sorted.

It really wasn't.  We have good midfielders in the squad but we don't have enough balance.  Kamara has improved that without doubt.  But we can't be playing Luiz and McGinn for 30+ matches and expect to be challenging for Europe.

• Like 1

Gerrard stated he wants nobody guaranteed of their place in the team. He knows why City / Liverpool are so good they keep rotating the team to keep players fresh and to keep competition high. The players who perform the best get to start the top games. 

So I can easily see a situation where we sign a new 8 and Luiz extends his contract. Sanson and Chuk leave and we've a nice group of 6 players for 3 positions in midfield

FWIW I'd actually be shocked if we bring another youngster in for midfield. Gerrard himself has stated today we need experience and I think it's the one area an older head would be advantageous. 

• Like 1