Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

59 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Otavio would be a good signing, he's a CL quality player.  But we still need a more defensive minded CM.

I quite the look of Thuram at Nice, if we were to let Nakamba go then he’d offer cover for Kamara and also give us the option of having 2 CDMS in a 4231

Laimer would be my choice as an alternative to Otavio but there’s talk he’s off to Bayern unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

So I read in a couple of places that the end of the FFP period now makes a difference to when clubs do business.

Today is the last day of the current FFP period, with the 1st July marking the start of the new year - is there a chance we might begin our second wave of recruitment tomorrow morning?

I was thinking this. For us we would want to have a higher profit in accounts starting 1st July 2022 than accounts ending 30th June if we had any consideration about the FFP rules. But the squad cost rule which is 70% of revenue is calculated over a calendar year so it will fully take in any transfers done in the windows as opposed to the manipulation you can do with it ending on 30th June and signing people after then.

Our accounts with the Jack sale are very healthy. So it would be best if we made any future player sales from 1st July. 

• Like 1

Just now, jacketspuds said:

As well as us potentially making bids for players once the new FFP window starts, maybe we'll actually start to see bids come in for our players once other clubs are under fewer financial constraints.

Looks like we are starting off by getting a good fee for Trezeguet. More than I expected anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, burchy said:

I quite the look of Thuram at Nice, if we were to let Nakamba go then he’d offer cover for Kamara and also give us the option of having 2 CDMS in a 4231

Laimer would be my choice as an alternative to Otavio but there’s talk he’s off to Bayern unfortunately. 

I wonder are we possibly going to see a switch to a 4231?  Otavio looks like a very versatile player, but he doesn't really fit the mold of a box-to-box type that we need for an #8. 

Otavio might be able to play that role, but to me seems like a big risk paying £30m+ for a player who has not played that role before in a league he's never played in.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Most talking about it are talking about it from the perspective of Clubs having to sell before today. If you're under the FFP line by end of today, it can have implications - less so in the Prem (though Everton talked about a lot) 

https://theathletic.com/3382149/2022/06/25/everton-transfer-window-importance-june-30/?amp=1

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/18999164/everton-sell-chelsea-tottenham-richarlison/amp/

But quite a bit more important abroad. Spanish clubs for example have some serious complications if they aren't above the line by end of today. Atleti have said if they don't raise €40m today then for every €3 euros they generate July onwards, they could only reinvest €1. Barca are considering selling their TV rights, parts of their media company, De Jong to United. Sevilla saved themselves the hassle by selling us Diego Carlos - otherwise they'd be selling Kounde for penny's on the pound today.

Are we sure we have paid for him before today? Strange he still not in the squad.

I think we're waiting on the bigger clubs to make their signings so their secondary targets are then interested in coming to us. Patience is needed to get those players who are CL level who want to go to a Tottenham or Chelsea and who will need to settle with Villa when those clubs get their first targets

• Like 2

Just now, villa82 said:

Are we sure we have paid for him before today? Strange he still not in the squad.

Yes it's an agreed deal, when a player gets registered as part of the new clubs squad isn't the same thing as including a sale in your financial accounts. We got a good price for him as Seville needed the sale

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I was thinking this. For us we would want to have a higher profit in accounts starting 1st July 2022 than accounts ending 30th June if we had any consideration about the FFP rules. But the squad cost rule which is 70% of revenue is calculated over a calendar year so it will fully take in any transfers done in the windows as opposed to the manipulation you can do with it ending on 30th June and signing people after then.

Our accounts with the Jack sale are very healthy. So it would be best if we made any future player sales from 1st July. 

I am hoping this is the case. If it is then I expect that our bean counters have been all over it and we are primed and ready to go………. he says hopefully!

15 hours ago, villa4europe said:

It think it comes from posts back in March to the extent "big summer, we need 14 new players" how many posts in here want us to sell half of the starting 11 and buy new players? 

it was never going to happen

Too many want a new player in every position and its unrealistic

Its usually preceded by "if we want Europe next year" too, I don't believe that, we needed quality in key positions and to get more consistency out of what we already have, especially the strikers

This is a long game 

I agree.

We also have to factor in, that as we keep adding better quality, existing players will be affected by new recruits, for the better.

I have seen it in the past, where exisiting players have upped their game as a result of team strengthening.

It think that will naturally happen.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

I am hoping this is the case. If it is then I expect that our bean counters have been all over it and we are primed and ready to go………. he says hopefully!

It's important to note it's only sales that matter as they instantly hit the financial accounts. Signing players is spread over life of the contract. I believe Targett's Loan had the option to buy which Newcastle exercised. Hopefully we see more player sales start happening in July

I saw an opinion yesterday that I agreed with, so I went digging for some stats. 

I'll preface this by saying this is about as relevant as xG is as a "stat", because it looks at some actual stats and draws conclusions without considering a bunch of other relevant factors. Regardless, I thought it was interesting, as it went way against what I previously believed. 

I want us to play with Buendia and Coutinho behind Watkins, so I looked at games Villa started with all combinations of Buendia, Coutinho, Watkins and Ings to see which was most successful - thinking we were much better with both. 

I was surprised to find that we were most successful with NEITHER Buendia or Coutinho starting.

We played 6 games where neither started, and won 3, so 1.5 points per game - the best 2 combinations we had (Watkins solo and Watkins/Ings).

We also played 6 with both starting, and won 1, drew 1, lost 4 - so 0.66 points per game - worst (Ings, Buendia, Coutinho) and 3rd worst (Watkins, Buendia, Coutinho).

Even more interesting, the 6 games we played with neither were on paper far tougher than the 6 with both. 

Every other combination of the 4 players were in between those extremes, and getting into the details there shows how arbitrary these stats are (STILL GIGAWATTS MORE RELEVANT THAN xG). 

Anyway, I still want us to play both Buendia and Coutinho, so my biased opinion is that if we're going to play two lightweight guys like that, we need to add some more physicality in midfield to balance it out.

That's why I don't see the benefit of another skillful whippet like Otavio, when the midfield is already too lightweight. I don't see the benefit if a guy like JWP, who I think is basically in the same tier/style of player as Luiz, Sanson and is at very, very best insignificantly better. He's definitely not going to beef up the midfield. I don't want a Conor Gallagher, even though he and JWP are unboubtedly very good players. I want a big, strong, fast, technical guy, who's good in the air and scores goals. Is that too much to ask for? 

Also, if we're going for a fancy pants guy, Lucas Paqueta > Otavio. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

He has recurring nightmares of a man attacking him, he is wearing a gilet while doing his funky tactical dance

He didn't do a lot of dancing, in fact he didn't do a lot of anything, but he's wearing a gilet and he looks like an assassin below;):

Aston Villa and Remi Garde part company after terrible season