Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 minute ago, PerryBarrPet said:

If Everton really want £50 million for him I hope we are looking elsewhere. 

He is fine if you want an inside forward option, I just don't see why you want one of the left with Coutinho and Bailey and a whole bunch of others who could fill in.

That is before you consider price etc

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Nope!

You’re probably right. The striker situation intrigues me though. It’s obvious we’re poor in midfield but there are dozens of players that could improve us. We’re not poor up front, but we do miss too many chances and we can definitely do with an upgrade. The problem is, the pool of players to choose from is much smaller and you have to pay A LOT of money for a goalscorer. 

I really like the look of Archer but is his all round game good enough? Does he give us enough up there compared to Ings and Watkins? Say what you like about them, they’re both useful - Watkins with his energy, pace, pressing and physique and Ings for his positioning, link up play, passing and finishing (not been great recently!). Ideally, we need somebody like Watkins but with a much better touch and technique. If Archer is that man, then great, but I fear he isn’t just yet.

Tricky one. I don’t think I could even name somebody realistic that would join and is better than what we have for a reasonable price (£30-50m). 

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

You’re probably right. The striker situation intrigues me though. It’s obvious we’re poor in midfield but there are dozens of players that could improve us. We’re not poor up front, but we do miss too many chances and we can definitely do with an upgrade. The problem is, the pool of players to choose from is much smaller and you have to pay A LOT of money for a goalscorer. 

I really like the look of Archer but is his all round game good enough? Does he give us enough up there compared to Ings and Watkins? Say what you like about them, they’re both useful - Watkins with his energy, pace, pressing and physique and Ings for his positioning, link up play, passing and finishing (not been great recently!). Ideally, we need somebody like Watkins but with a much better touch and technique. If Archer is that man, then great, but I fear he isn’t just yet.

Tricky one. I don’t think I could even name somebody realistic that would join and is better than what we have for a reasonable price (£30-50m). 

I think we need another striker, I have no clue who but while I think Richarlison is a really good player, I don’t think he’s the style of striker we need.

I actually think we need somebody more in Ings style than Watkins, that could feed off the creativity that Coutinho and Buendia will hopefully do next season.  I think suits a Ings style than a Watkins style player, but even then it’s not right.  Bizarrely it suits more Archers style than either of those two but it’s a massive ask to put that on Archers shoulders yet so I think we need another striker…god knows who though!

18 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

do you think we are after  striker

Yes, just my opinion but I’d be surprised if we didn’t bring one in.  What that means for our current collection of strikers I don’t know but I think Gerrard will want one.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Like you said there are injuries, players carrying niggles where they play on due to a lack of suitable replacement.

Fatigue is a real thing in a position where the player is constantly on the move.

Competition keeps performance levels high.

Players lose form.

The rotation option may have slightly different quality that suit playing against particular opponents.

The rotation option may turn into a better player than the first team option.

these are all suitable reasons to have a high quality rotation option for a full back.

All the above are reasons why the “big” teams with deep high quality squads usually rise to the top in the latter  part of the season, when injuries, fatigue and suspensions really start to kick in. 

• Like 1

We aren't going to improve the rest of the team to the extent we have in order to try and become a top seven team, to then just go and leave the striking options as they are. I have the most powerful sense, that we're going to go big on a new striker.

• Like 2

I think it’ll be another quiet week this week, maybe see Trez leave, before the real fun kicks off next Monday. 

Weirdly, I’m excited to see who we can shift as much as who we can bring in. Will be great if we can get some decent money for the likes of Davis, Trezeguet, Guilbert, El Ghazi etc. 

• Like 2

By the way, I don’t think Kamara would have joined had we told him we were just signing Carlos afterwards and that was it.

All season, Gerrard and even the players have been saying it’s an exciting project and players will be brought in. It’s actually rare you see it so candidly spoken of - especially from a manager.

That leads me to think there is a couple of big names still joining or certainly we’re talking to. Would love someone like Gabriel Jesus (massively unlikely). 

• Like 3