Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

With the talk of Suarez possibly signing and joining back up with his former teammate, I thought I'd take a look at who else is still playing that would have been on Liverpool's books while Gerrard was there. Not saying that I'd take all of these at Villa, but I wouldn't be surprised if one or two joined in the summer.

Goalkeepers
Peter Gulacsi (31) - RB Leipzig

Defenders
Alberto Moreno (29) - Villareal
Sebastian Coates (31) - Sporting CP
Conor Coady (29) - Wolves

Midfielders
Jordan Henderson (31) - Liverpool
Luis Alberto (29) - Lazio
Lucas Leiva (35) - Lazio
Victor Moses (31) - Spartak Moscow
Jonjo Shelvey (30) - Newcastle
Ryan Babel (35) - Galatasaray

Attackers
Raheem Sterling (27) - Man. City
Suso (28) - Sevilla
Iago Aspas (34) - Celta Vigo

Some of the ages/clubs might be wrong, but there's a lot of experience in that list. We probably couldn't attract all of them, but Gerrard would've had a big impact on many Liverpool players during his time there, so I'm sure he'll have a fair bit of pull.

I wouldn't mind a couple of them along with a few younger players, if the deals were right financially, but there's always a risk that we repeat the mistakes of summer 2015, as others have mentioned.

Does anyone think that we should/might try to bring any of these in?

1 minute ago, gaz90 said:

With the talk of Suarez possibly signing and joining back up with his former teammate, I thought I'd take a look at who else is still playing that would have been on Liverpool's books while Gerrard was there. Not saying that I'd take all of these at Villa, but I wouldn't be surprised if one or two joined in the summer.

Goalkeepers

Defenders

Midfielders
Lucas Leiva (35) - Lazio

Attackers
Suso (28) - Sevilla

Some of the ages/clubs might be wrong, but there's a lot of experience in that list. We probably couldn't attract all of them, but Gerrard would've had a big impact on many Liverpool players during his time there, so I'm sure he'll have a fair bit of pull.

I wouldn't mind a couple of them along with a few younger players, if the deals were right financially, but there's always a risk that we repeat the mistakes of summer 2015, as others have mentioned.

The only ones still capable of doing anything like Luis Alberto or Sterling are out of our reach 

The rest be a huge NO

11 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Gabriel Jesus has been made available supposedly (not surprising because Haaland is going there) for around €30 mill? Would you consider him here?

Jesus is a better all round footballer than Ollie, but finishing and decision making just as suspect at times imo

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gaz90 said:

Goalkeepers

Defenders

Midfielders
Lucas Leiva (35) - Lazio

Attackers
Suso (28) - Sevilla

I don’t buy the old teammates thing. And will be genuinely surprised if he’s after Suarez in the summer. I’d take sterling from that list but that’s never happening, the rest no 

Sherwood didn't have a better start than Gerrard, we took less points (20) in Sherwood's whole time time with us, than we've taken with Gerrard this season. Sherwood was sacked after we lost eight out of nine games and drew the other one. Gerrard's start is more comparable to Smith's, Gerrard has taken 26 points from his first twenty games, Smith took 29, both were brought in at similar times of the season as well.

• Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Jesus is a better all round footballer than Ollie, but finishing and decision making just as suspect at times imo

I'd be interested in him being one of our inside forwards, but he doesn't really score a lot. I like his versatility though and it gives us a bit of flexibility up top, I'd entertain this if we shift a few of our forward players.

3 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I'd be interested in him being one of our inside forwards, but he doesn't really score a lot. I like his versatility though and it gives us a bit of flexibility up top, I'd entertain this if we shift a few of our forward players.

I actually have always liked the lad (Jesus) and think that Pep's system/style just doesn't suit him.  I think if he were in a team where he was a central striker he would score more.  Not necessarily at an Aguero level, but he strikes me as a similar type.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Would 100 percent improve the squad. Obviously good with the football and will have been well drilled at keeping possession as well 

I wouldn't mind sacrificing say, Ings for him? ( Or would that be a bad move 🤔 )

Having said that, weren't Man City actually rumoured to be considering Ings towards end of last summer window due to failing for Kane etc?

IMO the likes of Haaland should have always been their priority anyway.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Only thing I'm potentially " dreading " about the transfer window is Newcastle.

Aside from that, I'm actually quite excited about finally upgrading and changing the dynamic of our midfield, that's the most important thing for me.

I'd be ok with blowing the chunk of our budget on DCM/CM and CB and nothing else.

Like or dislike him, fact is SG is one of the best Midfielders to ever do it. I trust his judgement in that area of the pitch.

West Ham winning Europa and getting CL is an absolute nightmare too. Competing with them when they're in the Conference League vs Champions League (and the finances that come with it). Plus Newcastle and us ending bottom half. 

That's nightmare scenario

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I genuinely couldn't even be arsed answering with facts.

At this point, it's obvious some people are desperate for him to fail, and will go to any length to try and prove why he is akin to Villas footballing antichrist and is bringing about the club's apocalypse right beneath our noses, which some of us are just too blind to see yet. 🙄

Nobody is desperate for him to fail. Why would we want our team to lese to say we told you so. Seems childish and he has been praised for the rare good performances

Big difference here is I am expecting him to fail which is the disgrace 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Nobody is desperate for him to fail. Why would we want our team to lese to say we told you so. Seems childish and he has been praised for the rare good performances

The End Is Near Homer Simpson GIF - The End Is Near Homer Simpson Simpsons  - Discover & Share GIFs

16x19 kent brockman reading GIF - Find on GIFER

You and all the others who warned us will be safe. We will be left here to endure the torment. lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

1 minute ago, Rustibrooks said:

It shouldn't affect us as much, however Man Utd are also doing a huge rebuild this summer reportedly up to 10 players they are replacing. They could be in for a few of our targets as well.

So i'm guessing you don't see Ten Haag wanting McGinn for 75 mill by any chance?

1 hour ago, Rustibrooks said:

Gabriel Jesus has been made available supposedly (not surprising because Haaland is going there) for around €30 mill? Would you consider him here?

Absolutely. Fantastic footballer and would set the tone from the top with his pressing. However if he is available then I suspect that he will end up at a European club. Somewhere like Barca in a financially suspect deal.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It’s a disgrace that you expect him to fail? So who exactly is responsible for your own expectations. Some people expect him to succeed others fail, most people expect him to be given adequate time and resources to do one or the other, or maybe something in between. 

To compare SG and our current situation regarding ownership and the set up they are building, with Sherwood under Randy Lerner and his mismanagement of the club is probably a little more disgraceful. 

I get it you don’t like him. Did I like him before he became our manager? No of course not. He was the opposition and very successful against us for a team none of us like, for much the same reason and probably a few more. However he’s here now and there is no real point in your constant diatribe against him.

None of us really know how things will pan out but please, change the record for 5 minutes. Under our current owners this is potentially the most exciting time to be a Villa fan in 40 years. If you’d just arrived from outer space, after half an hour in here you’d think you were on a SHA forum. Let’s all enjoy a summer of exciting signings and the potential good times they may bring. He said jumping back on topic. 

• Like 4