Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I didnt ignore your question, just because athletico might want doesnt mean he will be better than any rb we sign?

Cash could go there and flop for all we know. What makes you think we will sign a shitter rb???

The point is being missed here....not by you by the way.

One of our players could go to another club and shine....why?...because the other players in the new team compliment them.

I keep coming back to blend.....its the holy grail......its why players play better in alternative teams, and fail in their current one.

We all talk individuals, but its a team game....and the blend is the secret.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I didnt ignore your question, just because athletico might want doesnt mean he will be better than any rb we sign?

Cash could go there and flop for all we know. What makes you think we will sign a shitter rb???

Atletico Madrid are one of the top 10 teams on the planet. The fact that our right back who our fans think is shit is wanted by them, is that not an indication maybe our fans are wrong 🤔

As for a replacement we spent about 15 years trying to find a half decent right back also at a time when we have other gaping holes in our squad to fix

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 3

Wijnaldum and Tammy joining us, with Coutinho. Would be incredible. I can't even entertain the thought because it would be such an instant huge step in propelling us onward and upward from mid table to European placing. 

Edited by A'Villan

8 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I have watched him twice the past few weeks as they now show La Liga in ESPN over here. He looked terrible in both games even when he scored. I was quoting his goal scoring record when we were linked with him. But seeing is believing, I think he would be a disaster for us. I dont see how he would fit into our system at all. Maybe a bench option? But if we want senior pros who are good to have about the place then Young will do for me. I dont think we need any more.

I think you are right....Suarez is just clutching at straws.

We could do worse than giving yound Brad Young a few minutes here and there and see what he can do, at least the kid has aggression and knows where the onion bag is.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Yes in a heartbeat. he is out of form and I have seen nothing to indicate that will come back.

Not sure about a replacement. Strikers who score goals are rare and expensive. I would sooner do a Pep and spend the dosh on a good midfielder or two. Hopefully a DM.

I believe teams score goals, strikers just finish moves off.

goals are the result of good team play.....and the finisher, is the striker.

A good striker in a poor team, is useless.

Our play is not coherent in either direction...we don't play as a team.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I have watched him twice the past few weeks as they now show La Liga in ESPN over here. He looked terrible in both games even when he scored. I was quoting his goal scoring record when we were linked with him. But seeing is believing, I think he would be a disaster for us. I dont see how he would fit into our system at all. Maybe a bench option? But if we want senior pros who are good to have about the place then Young will do for me. I dont think we need any more.

Suarez has been crap for most of this season, and to me it looks like age is starting to wear on him. Next season he’ll be another year older and Atletico wants to get rid.

Unless he agrees to really low wages, and could be counted on to spread harmony and happiness in the dressing room, it looks like an awful idea to sign him.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Wijnaldum and Tammy joining us, with Coutinho. Would be incredible. I can't even entertain the thought because it would be such an instant huge step in propelling us onward and upward from mid table to European placing. 

Wijnaldum is meant to be on about £200k/week, 31 years old and I don't think would improve us at all. It really would be incredible if we decided this was the way to go.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Wijnaldum is meant to be on about £200k/week, 31 years old and I don't think would improve us at all. It really would be incredible if we decided this was the way to go.

He can be paid an amount that fits in with our model and enjoy a leadership role, and an opportunity to shine in an exciting project that could bring out the best in him. Or we look elsewhere. 

Wijnaldum is a very, very good footballer. Your point about wages and his age aside I can't believe for a moment that anybody would deny his quality. True box to box midfielder with quality at both ends in abundance.

Also, 31 isn't even that old. Sure, you won't be able to build around him for the next decade, but when does that even happen anymore? Rarely. James Milner is 37 and still capable of holding his own in a Liverpool side that is one of the best worldwide. And Wijnaldum was undeniably pivotal in making it so that Liverpool could enjoy such a standing.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

He can be paid an amount that fits in with our model and enjoy a leadership role, and an opportunity to shine in an exciting project that could bring out the best in him. Or we look elsewhere. 

Wijnaldum is a very, very good footballer. Your point about wages and his age aside I can't believe for a moment that anybody would deny his quality. True box to box midfielder with quality at both ends in abundance.

Also, 31 isn't even that old. Sure, you won't be able to build around him for the next decade, but when does that even happen anymore? Rarely. James Milner is 37 and still capable of holding his own in a Liverpool side that is one of the best worldwide. And Wijnaldum was undeniably pivotal in making it so that Liverpool could enjoy such a standing.

He has 2 years left on his PSG contract, at which point he'll be about to turn 34. So what, we offer him £100k a week and an extra 2 years to compensate for loss of earnings? We wont be compensating with playing time as he already has that at PSG.

Comparing with possibly the fittest guy in premier league history is a bit irrelevant. Ronaldo is also 37 and it's obvious his legs have gone. Do we really say it's OK to sign older players on massive wages now because James Milner is still playing? I assume you realise it's a silly argument and don't need me to list all the people who have massively dropped off before 37?

It's just risk management, I'm not saying he's about to retire. We have to ask whether buying another player on their last contract and sticking them on huge wages is a good idea. If he doesn't have the desired short-term impact all it's going to do is drag up the earning expectations of our other players.

Great, a "true box to box midfielder", just what we're crying out for. I was wondering where the next one would come from...

I also refuse to accept the best transfer option each time just happens to be an ex Liverpool player, unless we want to be Bournemouth MK II.

18 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

He has 2 years left on his PSG contract, at which point he'll be about to turn 34. So what, we offer him £100k a week and an extra 2 years to compensate for loss of earnings? We wont be compensating with playing time as he already has that at PSG.

Comparing with possibly the fittest guy in premier league history is a bit irrelevant. Ronaldo is also 37 and it's obvious his legs have gone. Do we really say it's OK to sign older players on massive wages now because James Milner is still playing? I assume you realise it's a silly argument and don't need me to list all the people who have massively dropped off before 37?

It's just risk management, I'm not saying he's about to retire. We have to ask whether buying another player on their last contract and sticking them on huge wages is a good idea. If he doesn't have the desired short-term impact all it's going to do is drag up the earning expectations of our other players.

Great, a "true box to box midfielder", just what we're crying out for. I was wondering where the next one would come from...

I also refuse to accept the best transfer option each time just happens to be an ex Liverpool player, unless we want to be Bournemouth MK II.

It's past my bed time so probably wise not to post other than to say I take your points. I wasn't privy to the ins and outs on his contract situation and I shot from the hip because he's an excellent player. 

Actually I'll try to muster a decent reply.

When you are pivotal in a team becoming the best in the world, and you possess quality on the ball and without it to a degree not many are blessed with, add to that being gifted physically with athletic prowess, you don't simply become irrelevant until someone is able to do it better and you lose your place. 

I don't foresee Wijnaldum becoming second rate for a few years yet.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

Wijnaldums legs and engine is gone or rapidly going. He's still a good player but I really hope we don't go for him. 

Wrong age, wrong salary, wrong form trajectory, wrong height :)

Sure we are going to be linked with anyone with Liverpool history as long as Gerrard is here so Wijnaldum, Suarez, Gomez and so on. Let's not become a glorified version of Bournemouth please.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Wijnaldums legs and engine is gone or rapidly going. He's still a good player but I really hope we don't go for him. 

Sure we are going to be linked with anyone with Liverpool history as long as Gerrard is here so Wijnaldum, Suarez, Gomez and so on. Let's not become a glorified version of Bournemouth please.

Trust you to come in and form an opinion on something so basic as watching him play this season and ignoring the body of evidence showing that he played for Liverpool and is younger than James Milner.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Lucas is out of contract at the end of the season as well :P 

• Haha 1

I read Lucas has actually been superb of recent. 

Edit: I wanted to remind myself of what I had read about him. It was that he won Lazio's player of the year award two seasons back to back. 

Edited by A'Villan