Calum Chambers

His Name Is Death

Just now, Rodders said:

Or bring back KKH. Maybe there was a gamble on seeing out 1 year and then him being involved next season

Also a good shout. Kaine’s got pace and didn’t look intimidated playing against bigger sides. Would still be better than Chambers at RB. 

Chambers inclusion last night was justified and made sense on paper prior to kick-off.  We literally have nobody else to play there.

Cash can't play every game; he needs to be rotated or he will burn out.  I'd imagine Konsa would have played there if Carlos hadn't got injured, but needs must, Chambers was literally the only option.

It's painfully clear we need to invest in RB now in January.  I hope Emery and Monchi see this.  Who is the Moreno of right backs?  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Chambers inclusion last night was justified and made sense on paper prior to kick-off.  We literally have nobody else to play there.

Cash can't play every game; he needs to be rotated or he will burn out.  I'd imagine Konsa would have played there if Carlos hadn't got injured, but needs must, Chambers was literally the only option.

It's painfully clear we need to invest in RB now in January.  I hope Emery and Monchi see this.  Who is the Moreno of right backs?  

Well said. This also applies to one or two other positions in the squad still.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, duke313 said:

i often wonder why Digne/Moreno arent capable of playing right back. Ashely Young didnt struggle, both seem comfortable with their feet. It may limit you in the final third but in the defensive work why are more players not able to play either side?

Chambers is an occasional adequate fill-in, or to come on late in games to add an extra body or fresh legs, but to have to rely on him for anything more than that is a problem.  He just doesn't have the pace or mobility for the way Unai wants to play.  If we were a team that sat deep and soaked up pressure he'd be fine. 

I think the Mings injury has affected the right-back position more than anything else because of the lack of experience we now have centrally.  

I think the plan for this season was to have Konsa as the alternative to Cash, but we now cannot move Konsa to right-back (yet).  With Mings in the team, Carlos would be able to play on the right-side of a three when we play that way.  With Mings out long term we will need Carlos central of the three.  Konsa aside, the three other centre-backs in the squad, although very good players, have less than 10 games between them for Villa, with two of them being brand new to English football to boot, so Konsa is essential in the middle.

15 hours ago, DJBOB said:

To be fair - Chambers only started 2 games last year. Unai doesn’t trust him as a starter but he’s down two CB’s with no other RB and a tight window of games. 

A combination of injury and an odd transfer window. 

I am still puzzled with Clement Longlet, why that type of defender?......when Carlos was still coming back from Injury, who was cover for Mings?

are we a bit too preoccupied with playing out from the back, and dismissive of old fashioned defending.

9 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

i often wonder why Digne/Moreno arent capable of playing right back. Ashely Young didnt struggle, both seem comfortable with their feet. It may limit you in the final third but in the defensive work why are more players not able to play either side?

I don't think they're incapable of playing either side, but Unai has made it clear he wants balance with left-footers on the left side at the back.  Young was unique in that he was two-footed - a right-footed player but also strong on his left and had played as a left-winger for the first 12 years of his career, so while he was comfortable on the left, he was also more than capable on the right.  

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I am still puzzled with Clement Longlet, why that type of defender?......when Carlos was still coming back from Injury, who was cover for Mings?

are we a bit too preoccupied with playing out from the back, and dismissive of old fashioned defending.

I don’t think there’s a very strong market for CB’s. I can’t even think off the top of my head who would want to be, at best, a 4th choice CB. 

You’re talking about the Hause’s of the world. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think your view of 'defenders are there to defend' and 'defensive midfielders are there to win the ball back' is a little outdated if I'm honest.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Would rather see Konsa at right back and Chambers at centre back in the circumstances we found ourselves in last night. At centre back there is less chance of him being out of position, and Konsa has the pace to get back at full back.

However it's glaringly obvious that a backup right back is top of the January shopping list; especially with the injury to Mings and unreliability of Carlos.

Just now, wilko154 said:

Would rather see Konsa at right back and Chambers at centre back in the circumstances we found ourselves in last night. At centre back there is less chance of him being out of position, and Konsa has the pace to get back at full back.

However it's glaringly obvious that a backup right back is top of the January shopping list; especially with the injury to Mings and unreliability of Carlos.

Need a right back who will take Cash's starting role IMO.

I think main problem with Chambers is he needs to be playing consistently. 

When he does that he can be a relatively solid pair of hands. Not great by any means but as other have said he is a lower PL/upper Championship standard player. Not a trainwreck like Olsen. 

However when he comes in for the odd game once every few months he does look awful and seems to make mistake after mistake. Later in game he looked like someone who's confidence had fully gone and he wanted to be taken off. 

He doesnt suit being a backup at all in my view. If I was him I'd be doing everything I could to make a move elsewhere work for all parties. 

• Like 1

Just now, villaglint said:

I think main problem with Chambers is he needs to be playing consistently. 

When he does that he can be a relatively solid pair of hands. Not great by any means but as other have said he is a lower PL/upper Championship standard player. Not a trainwreck like Olsen. 

However when he comes in for the odd game once every few months he does look awful and seems to make mistake after mistake. Later in game he looked like someone who's confidence had fully gone and he wanted to be taken off. 

He doesnt suit being a backup at all in my view. If I was him I'd be doing everything I could to make a move elsewhere work for all parties. 

Not for me. If he played more consistently it would just mean we'd see the poor performances much more frequently.

I actually rated him at Southampton, thought he was going to be a good player. But was poor for Arsenal and is poor for us.

30 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

I don't think they're incapable of playing either side, but Unai has made it clear he wants balance with left-footers on the left side at the back.  Young was unique in that he was two-footed - a right-footed player but also strong on his left and had played as a left-winger for the first 12 years of his career, so while he was comfortable on the left, he was also more than capable on the right.  

just always surprises me more arent like it. We often see Diaby, Bailey, Watkins playing either side. Same for Mcginn and Ramsey, were told Carlos prefers to play left side as a right footed centre half. Whats so special about full backs that means they can only play in one single position. Time to encourage a bit more versatility from them. Its ok for us to stick an out of practise centre half at full back and then rip him apart for not being good enough, i would always assume asking someone to play the same role but on the other side is a lot easier.

(this is a collective criticism of full backs, not just the villa ones)

Just now, Tom13 said:

Not for me. If he played more consistently it would just mean we'd see the poor performances much more frequently.

I actually rated him at Southampton, thought he was going to be a good player. But was poor for Arsenal and is poor for us.

Yes -  I dont think he should play more consistently for us! 

• Like 1

Â