Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

I don’t think Olsen is as bad as some people make out. But I do think we are a  significantly poorer team when he plays in goal. 

For me, I think Dibu should start every game he’s fit. Every league and cup game. I don’t think top level keepers need to be rested. 

• Like 1

The 'problem' with having such a dominant #1 is that any player willing to be back up to him is going to have weaknesses in their game.

Most, if not all reserve keepers have flaws in their play otherwise they'd be challenging for a regular start. No one comes here with the genuine belief of challenging a fit Emi - therefore we'd be replacing a player that we know and can try to work upon, with another player that the coaches need to learn from scratch.

With regard to Heaton, have any of us seen him play since his injury with us? Who knows if he's still the same player. 

17 minutes ago, Enda said:

I’ve seen Martinez have bad games, you’re allowed two or three a season. The problem with Olsen is that’s it’s more like 50% of matches he has a howler moment, like against Newcastle where he passed it to their unmarked player at the edge of the box. Over the course of a season (say if Emi breaks a bone or tears a ligament) that’s not two or three bad matches.

How many games are you basing that opinion on?. Nobody wanted or rated Martinez that much in his younger days. He's only been rated since we gave him the opportunity to play regularly! Look how well that had turned out!!

29 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Because Olsen was mostly shit for us under Gerrard like everybody else and there is an OK keeper there. It is also a very difficult position to buy when Martinez is number 1. 

I dont think its that difficult to find a better keeper to be honest thats better than olsen. If steer wasnt so injury prone id rather have him than olsen.

Even under emery i thought olsen looked. Poor and shaky

17 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Backup keepers aren't meant to be good. If they were Premier League level, they wouldn't be backups. The second Martinez showed he was Premier League quality at Arsenal, there was interest and he went. It's just a very odd position to recruit for. Liverpool managed with Adrian for years, we'll live.

Yea but you would expect your keeper to do the basics though, catch a ball, command your box and be able to kick a ball properly.  Olsen struggles with all of these

Edited by Demitri_C

14 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Didn't Martinez concede 11 goals in 3 consecutive games last season? Statistics like that mean very little

Exactly.... selective memory at its best on this thread!

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont think its that difficult to find a better keeper to be honest thats better than olsen. If steer wasnt so injury prone id rather have him than olsen.

Even under emery i thought olsen looked. Poor and shaky

Assuming John Townley is right, if it's not difficult to find a better keeper why wouldn't Unai do it?

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Hasn’t he conceded 15 odd goals in about 5 games worth of minutes ?  

He has played 7 games for us and they have been against City, United, Liverpool, a rampaging Newcastle, Spurs, Brentford and Stevenage

Except Stevenage he hasnt played against many weak teams

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

I can't say I know too much about other team's second keeper. Which teams do you think have better reserve keepers than Olsen?

Two teams that we are competing with I think have better number 2s.  Although it’s all down to opinions of course and maybe if we watched them more often we’d see they are also shit too. 

Newcastle - Dubrokva i think is better

Spurs - Forster I think is better although he did mess up bad against us. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Â