Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Can’t agree, sorry!

Read the Martinez thread then. There are numerous times when Martinez was criticized last season! You have a very selective memory when it suits your narrative.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Why noel?

I posted this in the transfer thread but I’ll put it here also

I think it’s near impossible task finding a backup keeper, I don’t think any team will come in with bid for Olsen , Championship is his level but he commands Champions league level wages hence the reason Roma had to loan him out for so long. Bringing another  experienced keeper in and dropping Olsen to no 3 doesn’t make sense financially or in terms of squad harmony. It would be nice if someone came in for him but I think it’s unlikely .

2 minutes ago, Villa 59 said:

Read the Martinez thread then. There are numerous times when Martinez was criticized last season! You have a very selective memory when it suits your narrative.

No my can’t agree was to your final sentence 

Olsen will improve when he has a number of consecutive games if and when he needs to!!

2 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I think it’s near impossible task finding a backup keeper, I don’t think any team will come in with bid for Olsen , Championship is his level but he commands Champions league level wages hence the reason Roma had to loan him out for so long. Bringing another  experienced keeper in and dropping Olsen to no 3 doesn’t make sense financially or in terms of squad harmony. It would be nice if someone came in for him but I think it’s unlikely .

He could potentially get a loan. 

2 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

100% this all very good points

9 minutes ago, Villa 59 said:

There is no justification....most opinions on here are based on a couple of bad games and I've seen Martinez have just as many bad games. Olsen will improve when he has a number of consecutive games if and when he needs to!!

I’ve seen Martinez have bad games, you’re allowed two or three a season. The problem with Olsen is that’s it’s more like 50% of matches he has a howler moment, like against Newcastle where he passed it to their unmarked player at the edge of the box. Over the course of a season (say if Emi breaks a bone or tears a ligament) that’s not two or three bad matches.

20 minutes ago, nick76 said:

While I get your point it’s a bizarre comment given this is a discussion forum.  

If that was the case this forum would only be quotes from Emery and no discussion either positive or negative because only Emery’s opinion matters.  

Our opinion doesn’t matter as you rightly say yet we all post, yes you and I and all the regulars on here despite none of it mattering. I only asked your opinion.

But it’s not really a discussion per se regards Olsen. It’s just a bizarre dislike towards him by most.  It’s similar to Coutinho and Digne, there are people here that want them gone no matter what. Same with Olsen.

Just now, Villa 59 said:

How do you know this?

Like you, being positive about him, it’s based on our own opinion.  Additionally though my argument is backed up by history of him never playing well for us whereas you have no history of he having a good game for us or showing future potential.  Your view seems based on hope, mine is based on seeing the same as what I’ve seen before from him.

7 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

This is my thoughts also. It’s probably not a case that Emery likes him and wants to keep him, I’m sure he’s aware of his ability and he could get better. It’s just was never going to happen unless Olsen leaves. There has been absolutely no link’s regarding anyone being interested in him. It’s been obvious since the window open that he wasn’t going anywhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

But it’s not really a discussion per se regards Olsen. It’s just a bizarre dislike towards him by most.  It’s similar to Coutinho and Digne, there are people here that want them gone no matter what. Same with Olsen.

All I asked was your opinion of him. I didn’t say in that comment anything else.

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think we’ll have to play a different way when Olsen is in goal. It’s no coincidence his only good game for us was when we had a back 6 at times.  

Yes, great game at Spurs and we win at a canter!!

Backup keepers aren't meant to be good. If they were Premier League level, they wouldn't be backups. The second Martinez showed he was Premier League quality at Arsenal, there was interest and he went. It's just a very odd position to recruit for. Liverpool managed with Adrian for years, we'll live.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think we’ll have to play a different way when Olsen is in goal. It’s no coincidence his only good game for us was when we had a back 6 at times.  

I think you are spot on. It does feel like a risk and a surprising one for Unai to take, but I doubt this is going to be his blindspot, he will be mitigating for Mr Olsen's limitations.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I find it hard to believe we can’t find a better second keeper than Olsen based on what I saw last season. Hopefully it was just a confidence thing. 

I can't say I know too much about other team's second keeper. Which teams do you think have better reserve keepers than Olsen?

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Hasn’t he conceded 15 odd goals in about 5 games worth of minutes ?  

Didn't Martinez concede 11 goals in 3 consecutive games last season? Statistics like that mean very little

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Like you, being positive about him, it’s based on our own opinion.  Additionally though my argument is backed up by history of him never playing well for us whereas you have no history of he having a good game for us or showing future potential.  Your view seems based on hope, mine is based on seeing the same as what I’ve seen before from him.

Yes, only my opinion, I can agree on that...it could be that he's been poor due to his  relative lack of game time! So why not give him a break and see how he performs if he has to/need to stand in for a number of games?... That's the only way that we're ever going to find out

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He could potentially get a loan. 

And then what? Fail to sign and improvement? There’s always the risk of that who realistically has the ambition of being Villa’s no 2 keeper? 

Â