Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

On 16/10/2022 at 11:30, markavfc40 said:

So as supporters we should just accept the hierarchy within the club know more than us then. The history of every club, including ours, is littered with owners and CEO's who didn't know their arses from their elbows.

Now I am not suggesting for one second that our owners/CEO don't have a clue. It is certainly plausible though, and I think the longer Gerrard remains likely the case, that Purslows ego is making it difficult for him to acknowledge he made a big mistake and that his close relationship with Gerrard is clouding his judgement.

As supporters we all just want what is best for the club. Relationships with individuals don't come into it. There are plenty of us who have seen enough football to know when a manager is failing miserably and know that after a year the odds on him turning it around is for the birds.

I'd love nothing more than for this time next week us to have picked up another 7 or 9 points and be sitting in a healthy position in the league. The last year tells us though that we'll likely have at best 3 or 4 more points and be deeper in the mire than we already are having wasted another 3 more games under Gerrard. Will you still be suggesting we trust the hierarchy then? No offence Paul but no thanks, I'll use my own eyes and judgement and make my own mind up.

My eyes and judgment is what guides me too.....but I am not convinced another manager, with this same group of players, will fix it.

I am not giving Gerrard a free pass, but things happened in the game on Sunday, that directly affected our defeat that was, nothing to do with him......I could say the same under Dean Smith.

Its funny how Potter, wins 42 games in 135 games, gets the Chelsea gig and doesn't lose a game, players make a difference in fortunes.....My Point is Mark, The players as a group, have a huge part to play, in our demise, for many reasons.

Sure, I too, thought SG could turn this arround, sure I thought he could get them motivated more, sure I thought questionable decision making would improve, sure I thought shots on goal, would be more productive......but it hasn't, and it didn't under the last manager.

If any manager, fails to win games, the work on the training ground is in vain.....we don't know, how hard or not, he is trying to turn things around.....thats why, I say, the hierarchy, know more than we do.

Gary Neville calls it a culture problem. he could be right too......We sign players ( playmakers) like we are Barcelona, yet we can't beat Brentford.....We can't get the fundamentals right, never mind the more sophisticated stuff....and we have failed to sign players like the CDM until recently.

It would not surprise me, if he goes soon, but I am not convinced a new guy will fair any better, with the same personnel.....This is still Deans Team, in terms of signings, with the current injuries and he couldn't do much different than SG is doing, Dean was marginally better, in his win Percentages...buts thats all.

If we choose, to keep sacking managers, until we get it right, it doesn't bode well for a good culture or smart thinking football club......History alone tells us it fails, more than it works.....if we resort to pot luck, then fine, throw the dice. I was in a job once, where the resullts were poor, but the process was being followed....The hierarchy backed me and the outcome changed......I don't know the complexities involved, so I don't know, if 1 year is enough or not.

Losing games throws up, all kinds of views, it suggests all kinds of theories, some feasible, some specualtive, and some personal.....I think our failure, to invest after Kamara, may have had an affect on issues too....most of us was expecting another quality midfielder and a striker

I don't profess to know the answer, but not convinced others with a different view, do either........its always so easy to default to changing the manager, in hindsight, maybe the Dean Smith departure, was hasty....so what do we do, keep making the same mistakes.

I understand, that many will watch the games, and default to the manager as the problem....does he make mistakes, of course he does, but I don't think he is at fault for ALL that I see....I also don't want him coming over to clap me for coming, I want him to be as pissed off as I am. I don't want to be patronised......when we are in a dark place like this, its perfectly, understandable for him, to shy away from patronising acts.....I don't remember, many past managers, clapping the crowd on a regular basis, .....when we are winning, it makes more sense. I would have baulked if he had of clapped us on Sunday.

Some say, its the manager AND the players, I would be more inclined to be swayed by that....I don't buy, its just the manager, but that equally does not mean, he is blameless or not responsible......I accept the responsibility lies with him

If he gets sacked and it gets better after the usual bounce, then I will stand corrected.

I like all Villa Fans, want to see us win our unfair share of games.

ps I hear the old chesnut rolled out, regularly now, "He doesn't know his best team"......such is the inconsistency, such is the imbalance in attributes, such is the samey nature of the players......who does know our best team?...every podcaster has a different view.

pps I am genuinely, not trying to be awkward or Obstreperous.....I am simply, not convinced, it all his fault, however, if our premier league status is in danger, I would probably default to panic mode and succumb to a new manager, in sheer hope and desperation.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, daft said:

Bear in mind the press is an inbread cesspool, and as soon as someone posts something that gets traction, the others just parrot it in, making it seem like everyone has arrived at the same conclusion. In reality it is just everyone writing the same story on the back of someone else, all of them leading back to a singular, tenuous source, often with nothing more than pure speculation as a basis. 

Echo chamber.

The press are the ones backing him as his mates

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

It's actually unbelievable that he's still in a job. 

I genuinely think we are too financially committed to just sack him.

How long is his contract? I thought it was only 3 years and we are almost through half of that.  It’s not like he’s got 4 years left or something.

Starting to feel anger toward those running club, mainly CP but the owners have to be held responsible too, for putting up with and allowing this shit to continue for so long and risking the clubs fortunes and future. We are facing a relegation battle, I cannot fathom how that is even remotely tolerable. We could end up back in the Championship the way we are going…

Why we are entertaining this absolute novice and amateur is more than irksome… no one is bigger than the club and it should never be a slave to anyone. We should never be a proving ground or testing period for anyone… I’m ashamed at the club for chasing a name and ripping up all that was good about us beforehand… everything DS built and engendered has been dismantled and for what?!

If they wanted to have patience rather than quick progression and success why not afford that to the previous manager then? The man who was responsible for our greatest upturn in so many years? Who brought pride, spirit and connection back?

Or at least they should have made a credible and ambitious appointment… rather than a flipping downgrade!!

I don’t feel that we do have actual ambition any more, we trot out hollow words and lines but we are small time out on that pitch and we’ve been surpassed and made to look silly by many other teams who have far less ability and resources to make significant strides, well done to them - we should hang our heads in shame. They all play better football than us and bring an entertainment and excitement factor whereas… we are just plain shit.

We’re not “prepared” - we just “waste time and money”.

Sort it out, before it’s too late.

I’m sick of this shite, sick of this pathetic excuse for a manager. There is still time to undo this mess but it’s running out quickly…

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It's actually unbelievable that he's still in a job. 

I genuinely think we are too financially committed to just sack him.

It beggars belief… it really does… owners and CEO are being made to look like liars and hypocrites…

We’re in a hole and need to get out of it before we fall too deep or are stuck in there forever…

All I see, feel and predict is regression and decline under this manager. We can fix it but we’re running out of time and I can’t understand why we haven’t got rid of him sooner.

Maybe you’re right, maybe it’s the finances of it - but we’re f***ed either way so they need to get their heads out of their asses.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

My eyes and judgment is what guides me too.....but I am not convinced another manager, with this same group of players, will fix it.

I am not giving Gerrard a free pass, but things happened in the game on Sunday, that directly affected our defeat that was, nothing to do with him......I could say the same under Dean Smith.

Its funny how Potter, wins 42 games in 135 games, gets the Chelsea gig and doesn't lose a game.....My Point is Mark, The players as a group, have a huge part to play, in our demise.

Sure, I too, thought SG could turn this arround, sure I thought he could get them motivated more, sure I thought questionable decision making would improve, sure I thought shots on goal, would be more productive......but it hasn't, and it didn't under the last manager.

If any manager, fails to win games, the work on the training ground is in vain.....we don't know, how hard or not, he is trying to turn things around.....thats why, I say, the hierarchy, know more than we do.

Gary Neville calls it a culture problem. he could be right too......We sign players ( playmakers) like we are Barcelona, yet we can't beat Brentford.....We can't get the fundamentals right, never mind the more sophisticated stuff....and we have failed to sign players like the CDM until recently.

It would not surprise me, if he goes soon, but I am not convinced a new guy will fair any better, with the same personnel.....This still Deans Team, in terms of signings, with the current injuries and he couldn't do much different than SG is doing, Dean was marginally better, in his win Percentages.

If we choose, to keep sacking managers, until we get it right, it doesn't bode well for a good culture or smart thinking football club......History alone tells us it fails, moret han it works.....if we resort to pot luck, then fine, throw the dice. I was in a job once, where the resullts were poor, but the process was being followed....The hierarchy backed me and the outcome changed......I don't know the complexities involved, so I don't know, if 1 year is enough or not.

Losing games throws up, all kinds of views, it suggests all kinds of theories, some feasible, some specualtive, and some personal.....I think our failure, to invest after Kamara, may have had an affect on issues too....most of us was expecting another quality midfielder and a striker

I don't profess to know the answer, but not convinced others with a different view, do either........its always do easy to default to changing the manager, in hindsight, maybe the Dean Smith departure, was hasty....so what do we do, keep making the same mistakes.

I understand, that many will watch the games, and default to the manager as the problem....does he make mistakes, of course he does, but I don't think he is at fault for ALL that I see....I also don't want him coming over to clap me for coming, I want to be as pissed off as I am. I don't want to be patronised......when we are in a dark place like this, its perfectly, understandable for him, to shy away from patronising acts.....I don't remember, many past managers, clapping the crowd on a regular basis, .....when we are winning, it makes more sense. I would have baulked if he had of clapped us on Sunday.

Some say, its the manager AND the players, I would be more inclined to be swayed by that....I don't buy, its just the manager, but that equally does not mean, he is blameless or not responsible......I accept the responsibility lies with him

If he gets sacked and it gets better after the usual bounce, then I will stand corrected.

I like all Villa Fans, want to see us win our unfair share of games.

ps I hear the old chesnut rolled out, regularly now, "He doesn't know his best team"......such is the inconsistency, such is the imbalance in attributes, such is the samey nature of the players......who does know our best team?...every podcaster has a different view.

pps I am genuinely, not trying to be awkward or Obstreperous.....I am simply, not convinced, it all his fault, however, if our premier league status is in danger, I would probably default to panic mode and succumb to a new manager, in sheer hope and desperation.

1. SG has completely failed to implement a style of play at this club. Using my eyes I can clearly see that and short of "lads produce a bit of magic every so often", we don't have a game plan.

2. It's the manager who picks the players. We have youth players that have achieved success and he would rather persist with people who are not performing than give these a chance.

3. Nothing from our performances suggests anything is going to change, the players look like they are playing with absolute fear.

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

That last tweet is the final blow. Sure that was the last thing he had over the previous management

Why is he still here?

It is truly rage inducing.

We’ve sacrificed the club and all that was good/positive about it for this shitshow of a manager and his “career” 😡

Realistically (the club would never have gone for names that are usually laughed at or derided), could we have made a worse appointment?

We need to sort this mess out NOW. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Why is he still here?

It is truly rage inducing.

We’ve sacrificed the club and all that was good/positive about it for this shitshow of a manager and his “career” 😡

Realistically (the club would never have gone for names that are usually laughed at or derided), could we have made a worse appointment?

We need to sort this mess out NOW. 

Because the good options that are available at present have said no. 

I would hope that the question of timing relates more to the prospective manager irrespective of Gerrard’s woeful record. I’d rather we secure the right name rather than become the circus that is Wolves in missing out on managerial names. 

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its funny how Potter, wins 42 games in 135 games, gets the Chelsea gig and doesn't lose a game, players make a difference in fortunes.....My Point is Mark, The players as a group, have a huge part to play, in our demise, for many reasons.

Potter and Gerrard aren’t the same. Potters one of the most tactically flexible managers in the league and did that with Brighton, that’s why he was given the Chelsea job. 

• Like 1

On 15/10/2022 at 22:30, sparrow1988 said:

My point was, one game doesnt make a season. There’s more than enough evidence that suggests Gerrard is just not good enough. Maybe he will be but right now he’s not.

Therefore, I think he should just be relieved of his duties. 

9 games doesn't either.

Look, you could be right, he has to go, but they said that about Arteta too......and lets not come out with the bollox, that its different, its not.....them fans wanted him out, more than we want SG out.

Fortunes, do not always relate to the work being done, in training.....Not when, you want it to, fortunes changing can be adhoc.

We played some good stuff on Sunday.....we also made some poor decisions, ( McGinn trying to fire throught the keeper, when Ings was ready for a tap in) and we also made some stupid rickets....Mings and Martinez....2 of our most trusted servants.

I don't think, there is enough evidence, thats my point......I think there is enough conjecture, or supposition, but thats all......That is not the same as saying everything is ok, because its not.

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

Because the good options that are available at present have said no. 

There are plenty of options and I’m sure the majority would be better than him or do a better job.

Imo, we just need him gone and need to stop the damage he has been doing.

I’d rather they just hand the reins to Critchley (considering we paid for the guy and he has somewhat of a reputation) and Cutler, clear out SG’s staff along with Danks and McPhee, while they sort out a new manager and coaching team.

The sooner we make the change, the better.

We’ve just been prolonging the pain and I can’t get my head round why.

We need a change in tact and approach because it simply hasn’t worked.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I would hope that the question of timing relates more to the prospective manager irrespective of Gerrard’s woeful record. I’d rather we secure the right name rather than become the circus that is Wolves in missing out on managerial names. 

Again, I’d rather just remove SG and let Critchley take on the caretaker role while we sort out a new manager.

He may do a lot better… and have a clue how to coach and set up the team somewhat effectively without the manager getting in his way or overruling decisions or opinions… for the meantime.

We need a new coaching team, they have been useless and I doubt we’ve ever made worse appointments than Danks and McPhee. Get them out!

Â