Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

So how do you account for the past, which is reality?

Again, that's not the point he was making.

The stats suggested Brighton were creating lots of chances but poor finishing meant they weren't converting those chances in to goals, hinting that if they improved their finishing the goals would come. I'm assuming @Pinebro's original point was that we're not creating many decent chances (we're 19th in the league for xG) hinting that no matter how good our finishing is we're still going to struggle for goals.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair.

In our earliest games, I definitely saw a philosophy.

As I've noted before, at the time, I expressed concern about our wings being exposed, but we were certainly compact. ( I assumed perfecting said system would come with time and signings )

We also did play some very good football at times.

I'm not sure when/where the wheels fell off but here we are.

The earliest games was still Smith's shape though? Do you mean when we then switched to 2 tens for the good football? Last season there were a few good patches of 20 mins here and there with that shape but it's never been a consistent thing.

53 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

What to you indicates that Gerrard is gonna turn it around? 

He has already openly admitted he doesn't coach players he is more of a man manager. So how is he gonna turn the crap football around? 

Potter as a contrast is an excellent coach who knows how to play attacking football and knows exactly how to implement it. 

Brighton were always gonna eventually turn it around based on their xG. Numbers don't lie. 

He has 35 games and lost his trusted coach in the summer, enough to suggest mitigation.....The new coach, that you put so much emphasis on, has had 8 Premier League games, not even a Pre season.....working with new players,  takes time, instant gratification is for the birds.

The Pre season, I might add, saw SG preside over 5 wins and a draw, not bad for someone, who doesn't coach.

The crap football might be turned around by players, returning to form, Like Tyrone has.......a few more further up the pitch,taking a leaf out of his book, might be a bit nifty.

That maybe so.....but his record of goals scored at Brighton, doesn't support your claim....whatever your view is of his time at Brighton, they didn't score many goals in his 135 games there.

How can you be sure, that our XG numbers don't improve, when we have enough points, to breathe again.....after the tightening up, maybe the next challenge, is to get us scoring, again.

I can't predict the future, even if you, are asking me to........but i just believe, we will improve....based mainly on me not seeing what many see as the main problem in the first place.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

1.) He speaks to SG 3 times a week about ideas and tactics..

2.) Villa need a strong identity.

This is unbelievable ffs, still holding his hand. The best thing Gerrard could do is go and be Beales number 2 for a few years. He’s nothing but a frontman 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

What else can a manager do but set their team up in a way that they consistently have a high chance of scoring more than the opposition?

I would tend to think, that if he does that, and by doing so, concedes too many.....A rethink, is required.....I Think that line of yours is naive, because all teams would be doing that, if it was so easy to do.

It may well be tonight Steve Cooper, may do the same, and tonights game, could be us facing a low block, which we notoriously hate and struggle with.

Gungho football, is naive football, imo......if of course thats what you are alluding to.

I would tend to believe, when he is statisfied, the defensive side of our game, has gained sufficient confidence to defend, stoutly,  then he will branch out, and play a more expansive version....which is precisely, what he wants to do, and has said so.

He has already, confessed to expanding too quick, last season, something I saw, for myself, before he mentioned it, but hey ho......These transitions have to be managed, and subtle changes implemented, as opposed to rash changes, and knee jerk reactions.

He is well aware of whats wrong, fixing it is a little more challenging.

As was explained by Dean Smith so eloquently in responding to a presenter......all what the players do, is not always what the manager has asked for.....but the managers always get the blame....when the players get on that pitch, managers have to trust their judgment, to a degree....many decisions are made by the players.

Getting your staff to do what, you want, can take a little more time, than unqualified observers,sometimes think.

Edited by TRO

44 minutes ago, TRO said:

I would tend to believe, when he is statisfied, the defensive side of our game, has gained sufficient confidence to defend, stoutly,  then he will branch out, and play a more expansive version....which is precisely, what he wants to do, and has said so.

We had 15 clean sheets in the 20/21 season. Targett started every game, Konsa and Mings started 35 and 36 respectively, and Elmo even started 8. Third most clean sheets in the league.

Gerrard has added Digne to that back four and Kamara in front of it and has achieved 7 clean sheets in 35 games. How long are we giving him just to sort the defence out?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

We had 15 clean sheets in the 20/21 season. Targett started every game, Konsa and Mings started 35 and 36 respectively, and Elmo even started 8. Third most clean sheets in the league.

Gerrard has added Digne to that back four and Kamara in front of it and has achieved 7 clean sheets in 35 games. How long are we giving him just to sort the defence out?

I think after the Bournemouth game, something had to be done.

3 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

The best defensive performances this year was mainly Chambers/Mings at center back, one is his actual signing who he stopped playing and the other he tried to force out

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair.

In our earliest games, I definitely saw a philosophy.

As I've noted before, at the time, I expressed concern about our wings being exposed, but we were certainly compact. ( I assumed perfecting said system would come with time and signings )

We also did play some very good football at times.

I'm not sure when/where the wheels fell off but here we are.

The moment Beale left any form of 'philosophy' went out the window. Beale worked on tactics while Gerrard man managed. It's an interesting combination and one that spells disaster when one of the duo leaves after half a season. It's no wonder we look utterly void of any cohesion right now. I'd be more sympathetic if Gerrard showed even a shred of tactical nous as well as some humility. The guy is a word removed.

Edited by AV82

4 minutes ago, AV82 said:

The moment Beale left any form of 'philosophy' went out the window. Beale worked on tactics while Gerrard man managed. It's an interesting combination and one that spells disaster when one of the duo leaves after half a season. It's no wonder we look utterly void of any cohesion right now. I'd be more sympathetic if Gerrard showed even a shred of tactical nous as well as some humility. The guy is a word removed.

I mean, we have been awful since January almost continuously, Beale played his part in that... 

5 minutes ago, Dale said:

I mean, we have been awful since January almost continuously, Beale played his part in that... 

We got 14 points in 8 games between Jan 15th and Mar 10th...

(More than "new manager bounce" got in the previous 8 games...)

Edited by tomsky_11
  • Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, Dale said:

For sure but at least we had a style of play and an intention to play it. At that point you could at least understand any arguments in favour of giving Gerrard and co. time to implement their 'philosophy' and get the players fluid with it. Now we have nothing. Just confusing performances and frustrating soundbites from a dick of a manager.

15 minutes ago, AV82 said:

For sure but at least we had a style of play and an intention to play it. At that point you could at least understand any arguments in favour of giving Gerrard and co. time to implement their 'philosophy' and get the players fluid with it. Now we have nothing. Just confusing performances and frustrating soundbites from a dick of a manager.

If the assumption is that last season was mostly Beale on the tactics/philosophy side, which seems a fair to some degree given all the talk before Gerrard arrived of how him and his team operated at Rangers (and tbf also some of what Gerrard said himself last season about the coaching structure), then why is there little mention of Critchley in posts like this? Because I assume he's come in to fulfill pretty much the same role as Beale, so I'd assume he'd be having a fair amount of input in the tactics/philosophy, rather than "nothing". Certainly there's been a few fairly clear tactical breaks from last season. Saying we at least had a style with Beale last season but now nothing and putting that on Gerrard, when presumably Gerrard's role and day-to-day input hasn't changed much doesn't seem right to me.

Edited by tomsky_11

23 minutes ago, AV82 said:

We have no style of play, cause he is playing to save his job. Wait till we play the decent teams, I'm gonna laugh my balls off. 😂

• Haha 1

Â