Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

4 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

With all these excellent players mentioning how they want to play under Gerrard I looked up one of his many show reels.
I kinda blanked him when he was playing because he didnt play for Villa.

If you can stomach watching another teams legend I recommend this one. It just shows the range of player he was. Its impressive af. 

The tenacity amongst other things, is awesome.

......but he is on our side now....and it would follow, that, that is what he is looking for, from our midfielders.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The scousers have just done a fan vote on the most important 120 goals in Liverpools history, it might be a bit weighted to more recent goals as that's how it goes but Gerrard had 2 in the top 3 - vs West ham in the FA Cup* and vs Milan in the CL (origi vs barca won) 

Even if the excuse is that its weighted to more recent memories it shows what them lot think of him still 

*I'd forgotten just how good that goal was, was further out than I remembered too

you can easily see why, he was a legend there.....not hard to comprehend.

lets just hope as a manager, he can be a legend with us too.

10 hours ago, Spoony said:

Listening to That Peter Crouch Podcast and he mentions a few times that when new players joined Gerrard would be driving balls at them trying to challenge him. I find it quite encouraging. He didn’t suffer fools as a player and I can’t imagine he’s any different as a manager. 

John Dutton ( Yellowstone).....that's his character.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

We got ourselves in a bit of a tizz about a skilful jack the lad . Imagine having him as the focal point of your club when he was playing like that. . Could literally do everything . World class pace  world class crossing  world class goals, world class tackling world class passing . Some player 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The scousers have just done a fan vote on the most important 120 goals in Liverpools history, it might be a bit weighted to more recent goals as that's how it goes but Gerrard had 2 in the top 3 - vs West ham in the FA Cup* and vs Milan in the CL (origi vs barca won) 

Even if the excuse is that its weighted to more recent memories it shows what them lot think of him still 

*I'd forgotten just how good that goal was, was further out than I remembered too

It shows that they rate those goals nothing more.

Of course they still think highly of him though, he had a prestigious career with them.

Him coming back to manage them to (more) glory is also what every team would want of a home grown player who Is one of the best you ever had.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nicho said:

It shows that they rate those goals nothing more.

Of course they still think highly of him though, he had a prestigious career with them.

Him coming back to manage them to (more) glory is also what every team would want of a home grown player who Is one of the best you ever had.

Despite some unconvinced fans amongst us......I would suspect if he does leave for Liverpool, there will be more disappointed, than not.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Despite some unconvinced fans amongst us......I would suspect if he does leave for Liverpool, there will be more disappointed, than not.

I think that is a given!  Despite what some fans think, I only think Liverpool take him if he’s evolved into a top notch manager which will mean he’s dramatically improved Villa and would be leaving us in a much better place than we are now.  Of course then we’ll be disappointed.

I think the concern is what level of manager Gerrard is and what is his ceiling that he can evolve into because he’s still in very early times of his managerial career.  This next season is going to be interesting seeing what he can do.  

To get the Liverpool job, he really can’t have any missteps over the next few years which is good for us on improving and pushing us.  The question a lot of us is asking is does his managerial skills match his footballing ability? We hope so, we can see it in interviews, we can see it in influencing transfers but it’s on the pitch where we mostly care as fans and that’s been too early to answer.  This season he needs to start answering that.

• Like 3

On 11/07/2022 at 18:11, nick76 said:

I think that is a given!  Despite what some fans think, I only think Liverpool take him if he’s evolved into a top notch manager which will mean he’s dramatically improved Villa and would be leaving us in a much better place than we are now.  Of course then we’ll be disappointed.

I think the concern is what level of manager Gerrard is and what is his ceiling that he can evolve into because he’s still in very early times of his managerial career.  This next season is going to be interesting seeing what he can do.  

To get the Liverpool job, he really can’t have any missteps over the next few years which is good for us on improving and pushing us.  The question a lot of us is asking is does his managerial skills match his footballing ability? We hope so, we can see it in interviews, we can see it in influencing transfers but it’s on the pitch where we mostly care as fans and that’s been too early to answer.  This season he needs to start answering that.

fair comment.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ccfcman said:

Those videos remind me of how much I hated Liverpool Gerrard and perhaps had an immature head on me skewed my appreciation of opposition players. Had he been Spanish or Argentine and played in Italy, I am certain I would have fawned over his skills.

But as a Villa manager, I **** love him. Funny how the world turns.

Its not funny, its natural.

I have never hated Gerrard as a player, I appreciated his talent and will to win.....but I resented him when he played against us.

He is on our side now, so I will adjust my stance on him accordingly.

I was happy to support John Terry, when he was with us....but not now, he is opposition again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Love it from Gerrard. You don't get to be part of the group if you aren't committed. 

You compare Luiz and how he is acting going into final year of his contract and how Carney is. 

If you wasn't committed....Sir Ron, would just blank you......how times have changed.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

If you wasn't committed....Sir Ron, would just blank you......how times have changed.

You think Stevie G is in the same bracket as Ron Saunders ?

Only a few weeks until we find out I suppose.

3 hours ago, hippo said:

You think Stevie G is in the same bracket as Ron Saunders ?

Only a few weeks until we find out I suppose.

Certainly in man management terms, i don't think you f@$k Gerrard about. But how you can interpret @TRO comment as an over all comparison is disingenuous 

• Like 2

Â