Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

From the outset, the Gerrard appointment didn't feel right to me. And the media (and L’pool fans) suggestion that we are only a stepping stone till he is appointed L’pool manager was arrogant, ridiculous and stupid. His achievement at Rangers was outstanding but it was not evidence that he could do well in the PL. Like Lampard, he reputation as a player boosted him. I have seen little to suggest that he is an outstanding coach or that he has superior tactical nous. His more recent public pronouncements make me wonder whether there is already division in the dressing room. Bringing in Coutinho on loan was a master stroke but it was all for nothing. His decision to stick with Watkins and Ings upfront is a pathetic - has he looked at their goal talley lately? His decision to stick with Ramsey is farcical, he will be a great player, but imho it has all gone to his head and he needs resting. His decision to loan out Targett was unbelievable. Imho sadly Gerrard is not going to take Aston Villa forward. 

Signed 

P**sed off of Bournemouth! 

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

First major setback after all we did under him and Smith was gone. 

And we chucked that away for this? I continue to hope that we moved on from Smith to progress but that's just hope at the moment. There's not much to suggest it's going to happen.

Hope is all I have right now but I have become very disillusioned as a Villa fan… can’t see the signs of progress or potential. We’ve either stagnated or regressed as far as I see it…

SG has disappointed and seems to be all talk…

An ego and recognised by name and reputation as a player… but I haven’t yet seen a hell of a lot of potential or signs of encouragement that he can be a top manager or resounding success for us… yet. Carry on waiting and seeing I guess…

Want it to work out and maybe all that’s required is patience but I haven’t seen anything to suggest that he can back up his own or the club’s words regarding our “ambitions”.

All we seem to do nowadays is talk the talk, splash the cash and not really get anywhere. Far too many embarrassing performances and results.

Teams with smaller budgets and spends have been outperforming us… it’s quite embarrassing…

Maybe yet more transfer business will really see us kick on and become more formidable but… isn’t a managers job to get the best out of his existing players and to yield positive performances from them? Motivate them? Set them up right and according to the available personnel?

A manager’s job is not simply to spend money and “have it all his own way”…

We are ending the season so poorly and I see no signs or cause for enthusiasm and excitement.

What has SG done to warrant a huge spend in the next window? He has failed to get anywhere near the best out of these players… it’s poor. And he needs to cut down on deflecting blame and slating them, how is that supposed to motivate them? Keep your plans for the summer private or behind the scenes please… and coach them…

Anyway, I will continue to take a reserved stance on us but it doesn’t feel great right now.

Again, all I can do is hope…

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

We will spunk more money. 

Waste it on shite again. 

Gerrard will get canned before Christmas. New manager comes in. Can't work with the squad he has and the endless cycle repeats itself.

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Hope is all I have right now but I have become very disillusioned as a Villa fan… can’t see the signs of progress or potential.

What exactly do you expect our potential to be? Why are you disillusioned about it? We've won two trophies in 40 years.

40 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This is very wrong. We’re 13th for xG. Not sure if class that as one of the worst in the league 

But more importantly we don’t miss most of the chances we create. We’re actually one of the biggest over performers in the league in terms of converting xG. 

Which to be honest is even more worrying

I’d have bottom third as “one of the worst”

We DO miss most of our clear cut, high xG chances. The goals we score tend not to be the clear cut chances. We score efforts that aren’t expected to result in goals, and we typically miss those that ARE expects to be goals.

We overperform xG not because we convert our good chances, but because we convert our unlikely chances

6 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

He won't be sacked, go to bed...

Sadly thats the problem. Sherwood would get this squad doing more. This donkey manager is fine because he won the Scottish league at the 3rd attempt 

Elite  management 

The more I think about it, the more irritated I become, he clearly doesn't have the players to play the system he wants. SO STOP **** PICKING THE SAME PLAYERS IN THE SAME SHAPE. Christ on a bike, start acting like a manager and pick to the squads strengths. This squad cost what £300 million to assemble, I refuse to believe they cannot perform for 90 minutes. it's bullshit.

• Like 2

11 defeats in 21 yet still plays McGinn and Chambers and Buendia dld nothing to get dropped

Absolute donkey of a manager. I know a few people that dont care anymore about Villa. Gerrard and Purslow have killed Villa for some fans 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Getting rid of Gerrard right now? Really??  We’d be an absolute laughing stock if we did. Who would come in at this time?

Agreed. People would be talking about Deadly Wes just like they used to talk about Deadly Doug. Maybe Real Madrid can change managers twice in a season and still be an attractive destination, but we can't.

Of course, given that the same people calling for SG's head now are mostly the same people who were calling for Deano's earlier this season, it's clear that we have people around here who would put Deadly Doug to shame.

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

We are finished as a football club on that situation.

Everyone is entitled to his opinion about SG, but let's not be overly dramatic. We survived three years in the "Championship" (I hate that name) and unstable ownership. We made it back to the PL. Even if SG were to get us relegated next year (highly unlikely), we'd be back soon enough. Leeds survived much worse than we went through.

• Like 1

I thought SG fronted up well for the interview after the game. He gave a very honest, eloquent assessment of the game.

There has to be a case for us having the most bad luck of any club this season. We can't let that get in the way of some harsh truths though. A few of these players are just not cut out for what is needed to take us forward. It's the same old heads that are continually dropping as soon as adversity rears it's head. Maybe there's a bit of truth to Chris Sutton's "flat - track Bully's" comment. 

• Like 2

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

I thought SG fronted up well for the interview after the game. He gave a very honest, eloquent assessment of the game.

There has to be a case for us having the most bad luck of any club this season. We can't let that get in the way of some harsh truths though. A few of these players are just not cut out for what is needed to take us forward. It's the same old heads that are continually dropping as soon as adversity rears it's head. Maybe there's a bit of truth to Chris Sutton's "flat - track Bully's" comment. 

Appointing and sticking with Gerrard isn't bad luck. It's bad Judgement.

• Like 2

Â