Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 hours ago, R.Bear said:

Gerrard signed Coutinho, Digne and Chambers. Almost everyone else was signed by Smith. What about Gerrard makes you "worried" about letting im spend money?

He signed Coutinho and Digne when we didn't need them.

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

If the rumoured transfer funds are to be believed, this is an incredibly important summer for us, and frankly, I don't trust him anywhere near enough to let him be a key player in reshaping the squad.

He has no credentials for a squad revamp.

2 hours ago, sne said:

Just want this season to be over, been feeling that way for a couple weeks now. Sadly I'm not really looking forward to next season either which considering our owners and the stuff happening around the club I really should.

But I just don't see this working out.

Feels like the was the summer to go after the big targets. Last year sort of was but losing Grealish clouded it.

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

Good squad ability wise yes but mentally? Most of them are just weak losers.

Fiction.

2 hours ago, jim said:

Didn’t get that at all, he said “ A lot will come on the journey, some won’t but that’s what happens when a new manager comes in”

Doesn't always happen though Steven. Most managers aren't given blank cheques to sign whoever they want.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Shouldn't have got the job in the first place. 

Correct.

59 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I cant believe how bad our defence has got. Its a absolute shit show watching these guys defend at times.I 

Maybe they're low on confidence having been threatened they will be sold should they play badly.

9 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

We’re a well run club at present and anyone who can’t see that need to give their heads a wobble. Getting rid of Gerrard right now? Really??  We’d be an absolute laughing stock if we did. Who would come in at this time?

Four defeats in a row isn’t good but he inherited a severely fragile squad, who were losing games anyway.

Laughing stock according to who? Couldn't give a toss who thinks whatever about us.

Could be five next week, then Deano comes to town...

We need a favour from the old boss there because that will get unpleasant in the ground if we lose to Norwich.

• Like 2

chambers - plays well and dropped as soon as konsa is available

sanson - the one and only positive last week, dropped today

nakamba - great before he got injured...guarantee he doesn't start a game before the end of the season unless a midfielder is injured or suspended

buendia - always looks good when he comes on, outperforming the 3 forward players that start games

**** sick of every manager we seem to have being so stuck on their favorites that they refuse to drop them when they play poorly. gerrard is doing my suede in, he really is

• Like 4

The problem we have as a club is that everyone expects that at some point a manager is going to come in, turn us around and it will happen instantly. Here's a clue, it wont, ever. The person who brings us success (if we ever get it) wont do it over night. Whether that's Gerrard or whoever, they need time.

Jurgen Klopp finished 8th in his first season in Liverpool. David Moyes was sacked when United were 7th. By that logic, Klopp should have gone. Look how that turned out. Everyone has to be patient, something Villa fans are incapable of being.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Or we sack him, bring someone else in, start next season with 4 points from 6 games

Big assumption a new manager only gets 4 points from 6 games.  I’m not advocating for him to be sacked but if the poor form continues you could see the board doing it.  A new manager could be awful as you say but could be great.  Anyway 14 points from the 14 games isn’t much better than 4 points from 6 games is it.  We need to improve quickly is all I’m saying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

The problem we have as a club is that everyone expects that at some point a manager is going to come in, turn us around and it will happen instantly. Here's a clue, it wont, ever. The person who brings us success (if we ever get it) wont do it over night. Whether that's Gerrard or whoever, they need time.

Jurgen Klopp finished 8th in his first season in Liverpool. David Moyes was sacked when United were 7th. By that logic, Klopp should have gone. Look how that turned out. Everyone has to be patient, something Villa fans are incapable of being.

What were Klopp's credentials compared to Gerrard's?

Fairly decent I think.

• Like 3

Just now, nick76 said:

Big assumption a new manager only gets 4 points from 6 games.  I’m not advocating for him to be sacked but if the poor form continues you could see the board doing it.  A new manager could be awful as you say but could be great.  Anyway 14 points from the 14 games isn’t much better than 4 points from 6 games is it.  We need to improve quickly is all I’m saying.

I'm simply saying that if a new manager started that way, some would call for him to be sacked. I wouldnt. Selecting the right manager has to be the hardest task for any football club. We've seen countless good managers fail at big clubs. Conte was under pressure when Spurs were out of form earlier in the season.

5 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Klopp won several trophies with Dortmund and got to a CL final.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

What were Villa's credentials compared to Liverpool's?

Fairly decent I think.

I wouldn't say so no.

You don't have to be a great manager to be better than Gerrard learning on the job.

We're gambling that he'll be good manager because he was a good player.

Very foolish.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Agreed. Which is why I'd have liked us to stick with the last guy.

The last guy had plenty of time and were getting worse, I realise you have Smith posters on your wall so I'm preaching to the unconverted and it was far from the first stall of progress.

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Klopp won several trophies with Dortmund and got to a CL final.

Yes which is why he got the Liverpool gig. We're not Liverpool. Gerrard won the SPL, which is why he got the Villa job.

41 minutes ago, Khizzy said:

Four losses in a row at this level would have seen a manager in trouble. Can't see us beating Leicester. If we lose five in a row, what should the board do? 

I think we need to cut our losses. Gerrard is getting worse every game. He's as bad as it could have possibly been. 

I think he probably should lose his job. He's shown nothing that would give anyone confidence about the future of the club

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I don't see what he brings to the table. If he loses 5 on the spin, he should be sacked imo.

He brings the bargain salary of double the Newcastle/Wolves managers, and treble the salary of the Brentford manager.

4 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

The last guy had plenty of time and were getting worse, I realise you have Smith posters on your wall so I'm preaching to the unconverted and it was far from the first stall of progress.

Yes which is why he got the Liverpool gig. We're not Liverpool. Gerrard won the SPL, which is why he got the Villa job.

To be fair to DC, he has tried not to be too critical, too soon.

It's others who have actually shocked me.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Â