Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

34 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

I'm starting to think Purslow is as much of a problem than anyone else is.

If Gerrard is gone before the summer, which is very far from a sure thing, I'd be quite surprised if Purslow survives

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Fortunately the Liverpool game has been moved as that would be more than likely 6 losses on the bounce if we still had that one to play. 

Well imagine if Smith with Norwich gives us our 6th loss on the trot, would you call that karma or ironic or some word that describes that.

14 minutes ago, Khizzy said:

Four losses in a row at this level would have seen a manager in trouble.

It's not as simple as that. West Ham and Wolves away are tough fixtures. Arsenal are always a problem for us and today could have gone differently if we could finish. I'm not saying it isnt a problem but just saying "4 losses in a row" doesnt provide context.

Tbh I dont really care what we do that much from now until the end of the season, unless we go on an extended horror run. I'm not judging Gerrard until next season. Whether we finish 10th of 15th doesnt really change anything. How we start next season is what matters as there will be no excuses, not for Gerrard or from me. The rest of this Gerrard out bollocks is just hot air as per usual from Villa fans.

Edited by R.Bear
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

It's not as simple as that. West Ham and Wolves away are tough fixtures. Arsenal are always a problem for us and today could have gone differently if we can finish. I'm not saying it isnt a problem but just saying "4 losses in a row" doesnt provide context.

Tbh I dont really care what we do that much from until the end of the season, unless we go on an extended horror run. I'm not judging Gerrard until next season. Whether we finish 10th of 15th doesnt really change anything. How we start next season is what matters as there will be no excuses, not for Gerrard or from me. The rest of this Gerrard out bollocks is just hot air as per usual from Villa fans.

Just be hard to attract the players we want finishing 15th in the league so the rest of the season matters so it does change things.

• Like 2

We’re a well run club at present and anyone who can’t see that need to give their heads a wobble. Getting rid of Gerrard right now? Really??  We’d be an absolute laughing stock if we did. Who would come in at this time?

Four defeats in a row isn’t good but he inherited a severely fragile squad, who were losing games anyway. Gerrard gave us an initial bounce, which gives me hope that he’ll get things together in the summer. Obviously if next season doesn’t go well, then he’ll be gone by October but right now, we need to grind out a win or a couple of draws and see the season out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What I’m worried about Gerrard is, he seem to actually take the bad approach. We won’t be able to compete with what he calls ready players. We need to develop them. We need to have the odd ones such as Coutinho. But to keep playing the likes of Ashley Young, and lose badly without even trying our young prospects? That approach ended badly last time. We won’t be able to get the best out there. We’re having a great youth setup. But we aren’t benefiting from that? Some says we still have something to play for, well apart from relegation we don’t have anything to achieve. We’re losing badly as well. I’d take losses easier if Tim or Chuck were playing. But almost same players week in week out. 

Just now, nick76 said:

Just be hard to attract the players we want finishing 15th in the league so the rest of the season matters so it does change things.

Gerrard is an attraction. If we got rid it would be even harder to attract players

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ferguson1 said:

We’re a well run club at present and anyone who can’t see that need to give their heads a wobble. Getting rid of Gerrard right now? Really??  We’d be an absolute laughing stock if we did. Who would come in at this time?

Four defeats in a row isn’t good but he inherited a severely fragile squad, who were losing games anyway. Gerrard gave us an initial bounce, which gives me hope that he’ll get things together in the summer. Obviously if next season doesn’t go well, then he’ll be gone by October but right now, we need to grind out a win or a couple of draws and see the season out. 

I won’t touch him even if we got 16th, but if he was helping the setup of the club. 
Why do we waste our talents because of us having managers who aren’t willing to help? It’s not as if they’re achieving something. 
We can’t gamble again in changing our approach. The club is well managed but our managers aren’t willing to do the future work properly. 

2 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

It's not as simple as that. West Ham and Wolves away are tough fixtures. Arsenal are always a problem for us and today could have gone differently if we can finish. I'm not saying it isnt a problem but just saying "4 losses in a row" doesnt provide context.

Tbh I dont really care what we do that much from until the end of the season, unless we go on an extended horror run. I'm not judging Gerrard until next season. Whether we finish 10th of 15th doesnt really change anything. How we start next season is what matters as there will be no excuses, not for Gerrard or from me. The rest of this Gerrard out bollocks is just hot air as per usual from Villa fans.

If you like what your seeing and hearing from him then fair enough, it doesn't mean we all do. 

3 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Gerrard gave us an initial bounce

How does a new manager bounce give you hope, many teams have that with new managers

4 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Four defeats in a row isn’t good but he inherited a severely fragile squad, who were losing games anyway.

But surely coaching should get underperforming playing at least slightly better but we aren’t, our defending has got worse, our finishing is poor.

I’m not saying sack Gerrard but I see no improvement at all, I don’t have anymore hope than I did before.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

What I’m worried about Gerrard is, he seem to actually take the bad approach. We won’t be able to compete with what he calls ready players. We need to develop them. We need to have the odd ones such as Coutinho. But to keep playing the likes of Ashley Young, and lose badly without even trying our young prospects? That approach ended badly last time. We won’t be able to get the best out there. We’re having a great youth setup. But we aren’t benefiting from that? Some says we still have something to play for, well apart from relegation we don’t have anything to achieve. We’re losing badly as well. I’d take losses easier if Tim or Chuck were playing. But almost same players week in week out. 

It's a blend.

Players you inherit 

Players you add 

Youth players you promote. 

Stevie G just seems to be pissing everybody off - the hope that a £200m spending spree - will bring in a crop of players who will hang onto his every word.....

6 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

To come out and say Tim is ready etc and not give him any real game time is frustrating. Especially when our midfields been dross. Same with ben chrisene. And I doubt we’ll see any youths getting game time now Gerrards in survival mode 

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Gerrard is an attraction. If we got rid it would be even harder to attract players

Sorry my point was that we need to get as close to 9th or 10th as possible and not 15th.  It wasn’t about sacking Gerrard, it was about the rest of season matters to get as high in the league as possible as while Gerrard is an attraction, so is progress in the league.  Bottom half, 15th, isn’t an attraction.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

To come out and say Tim is ready etc and not give him any real game time is frustrating. Especially when our midfields been dross. Same with ben chrisene. And I doubt we’ll see any youths getting game time now Gerrards in survival mode 

Plus Sanson and Chambers being dropped despite good performances.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tinker said:

If you like what your seeing and hearing from him then fair enough, it doesn't mean we all do. 

Certain Villa fans will never like what they're seeing. A few defeats and its manager out. That strategy has worked so well for us in the past...

I liked what I was seeing in the first half today. He inherited someone else's team and has had one (January) window to sign what he could. Whether you think he deserves more time is your opinion. I think he absolutely does.

Or we sack him, bring someone else in, start next season with 4 points from 6 games and the same fans who called for him to be sacked will be demanding the new manager to be sacked and we waste another season or worse.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Looking at the fixtures the Norwich and Burnley games might just save his ass.

It would also mean Lange and Purslow turning a blind eye to what must be pretty obvious.

Bet Smith is rubbing his hands!

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Sorry my point was that we need to get as close to 9th or 10th as possible and not 15th.  It wasn’t about sacking Gerrard, it was about the rest of season matters to get as high in the league as possible as while Gerrard is an attraction, so is progress in the league.  Bottom half, 15th, isn’t an attraction.

I can't really believe he is attraction. I'd imagine he's a pretty abrasive character and difficult to get along with.

Not that matters if you are good at coaching.

• Like 1

We aren't going to keep a manager just because a manager at another club was rumoured to be on the verge but turned it around, what Arteta does at Arsenal has no bearings on whether Gerrard is good enough for us or not,  also contrary to what some seem to believe Arsenal have been decent for most of Arteta's spell with them, it was just first few months of last season when they had a dip in form.

Also he isn't going to be sacked based on losing five games alone, but by the end of the season he will have had twenty-seven games overall at the moment I think we've shown midtable form with him in charge, but the more recent form is more worrying, if that continues then of course his overall stats will suddenly look at lot worse, if that happens i don't think it's out of the question that he gets replaced.

It's not as if next season is just about surviving or progressing to midtable, we've got bigger aims than that and are going to invest a lot of money to try and achieve those aims, so I think we will be more strict with the managerial position than normal, as it's critical we have the right person in charge as we enter the next phase of our plans.

Hopefully we see an improvement in the coming games.

Â