Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

44 minutes ago, TRO said:

How funny.....He has won 8 losing 10.

I believe in him long term as you know.....but thats too many losses, for some of the quality, in the squad....I say it again, Midfield is letting the rest down and the malaise has spread.

Sorry - not understanding the first line of your reply ? 

(Think you might had mis read my reply)

Edited by hippo

15 minutes ago, jim said:

This “blueprint” do you know what it is or is it just made up drivel in your head? 

Fair enough.

Perceived blueprint then

Narrow formation & buying players with little sell on value.

Just now, hippo said:

Sorry - not understanding the first line of your reply ? 

meant how funny you partially praising him....and him losing 10 games.

to be fair Hippo, he has lost too many games....but the difference is, I am not blaming him entirely.

Just now, TRO said:

meant how funny you partially praising him....and him losing 10 games.

to be fair Hippo, he has lost too many games....but the difference is, I am not blaming him entirely.

Still not getting it sorry.

His results to date aren't bad for a guy coming in mid season. I've said this a fair few times.

I don't like the narrow formation - I think it's boring.

We've been stung by buying players with little resale before - so that approach makes  me nervous.

47 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Are you really saying it’s too soon to judge Gerrard until he’s signed a majority of the squad? With normal turnover it would probably take at least 3 years for more than half of the squad to be replaced.

And who gets 3 years these days ???? - at any club ?....anywhere ?

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Still not getting it sorry.

His results to date aren't bad for a guy coming in mid season. I've said this a fair few times.

I don't like the narrow formation - I think it's boring.

We've been stung by buying players with little resale before - so that approach makes  me nervous.

I'm sure, I heard one of the tv pundits say.....thats how they play now, like some sort of trend....which is what I have advocated in the past.....trends, thats what managers do, copy each other.

I want players with some development growth in them.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'm sure, I heard one of the tv pundits say.....thats how they play now, like some sort of trend....which is what I have advocated in the past.....trends, thats what managers do, copy each other.

I want players with some development growth in them.

Let's get this straight - you are in favour of the narrow formation as a way forward for us ?

Sorry I just don't see it working.

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Let's get this straight - you are in favour of the narrow formation as a way forward for us ?

Individually or collectively? (Stevie G)

13 minutes ago, hippo said:

Not me Hippo.....I'm just not convinced the formation is the main issue, what ever formation we choose.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not me Hippo.....I'm just not convinced the formation is the main issue, what ever formation we choose.

Problems

1) Inability for any one player to play well for more than 20 minutes*
2) Formation
3) Tactics - we play slow possession football, like the big boys, but we aren't one of the big boys and any excitement we used to get from our fast counter attacking play which could occasionally upset some teams is now gone
4) Lack of defensive midfielder / total inbalance in midfield
5) Most of the squad lacks physical presence (as Gerrard would say 'eeeeee soft as shite them lads')
6) We haven't worked out how to play without Gresford
7) We signed Coutinho, Ings, Digne when none have solved any problems (appreciate Coutinho has been brilliant at times I just don't feel we needed a much more expensive Buendia)
8 ) McGinn whilst not the worst player is inconsistent yet somehow undroppable
9) Buendia, Chuk, Tim, Sanson, Traore are under utilised (despite one recent start so is Bailey)
10) When Gerrard started the players walked through walls for him, we started pressing and competing for every ball, that has gone already.

Only positive is occasionally we play creative attacking possession football that is a joy to watch, but I swear teams have already worked out how to nullify us and so many teams are killing us on the counter. I want to list more positives but this season has been a complete and utter waste of time, we've not barely progressed at all despite the millions spent.

Edited by VillanousOne

SG needs to change something. Either the formation, the players in it or who plays where in the system. McGinn cannot play DM again, it was a ridiculous idea. Maybe bring a youngster in or push a defender up into the DM position, Chambers? 

7 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Problems

1) Inability for any one player to play well for more than 20 minutes*
2) Formation
3) Tactics - we play slow possession football, like the big boys, but we aren't one of the big boys and any excitement we used to get from our fast counter attacking play which could occasionally upset some teams is now gone
4) Lack of defensive midfielder / total inbalance in midfield
5) Most of the squad lacks physical presence (as Gerrard would say 'eeeeee soft as shite them lads')
6) We haven't worked out how to play without Gresford
7) We signed Coutinho, Ings, Digne when none have solved any problems (appreciate Coutinho has been brilliant at times I just don't feel we needed a much more expensive Buendia)
8 ) McGinn whilst not the worst player is inconsistent yet somehow undroppable
9) Buendia, Chuk, Tim, Sanson, Traore are under utilised (despite one recent start so is Bailey)
10) When Gerrard started the players walked through walls for him, we started pressing and competing for every ball, that has gone already.

Only positive is occasionally we play creative attacking possession football that is a joy to watch, but I swear teams have already worked out how to nullify us and so many teams are killing us on the counter. I want to list more positives but this season has been a complete and utter waste of time, we've not barely progressed at all despite the millions spent.

I can condense that down to one line:

1) We have a cotton wool midfield that, if given enough time, will shoot itself in the foot and let the opposition straight through

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, og1874 said:

I can condense that down to one line:

1) We have a cotton wool midfield that, if given enough time, will shoot itself in the foot and let the opposition straight through

And since our full backs are wide attackers there is an ocean of space to exploit on our half.

• Like 3

My goals for Gerrard between now and the end of the season:

At least twelve points from the remaining eight games 🌟

Give more game time to the youngsters 🌟

Get some resuts in matches where we're second favorites 🌟

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

My goals for Gerrard between now and the end of the season:

• 10th position or above
  • Even if we don’t win, make me feel like we’ve tried, that we’ve competed in the game
  • That we play for 90 minutes not just 45 minutes
  • Dont throw the kids in unless ready, throwing kids in when we are losing could hurt their confidence longer term.  If they are ready play them, if not don’t rush them, plenty of time in the future.

Â