Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

8 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Probably mentioned already but it was telling from Howe in the pregame that he said Villa have a way they play and I'm very confident they will stick to that plan

Came on to post this exact same thing. He knew exactly what we were going to do and how to deal with it. I wasn’t sure if he was having a sly little piss take to be honest. Gerrard still has my support but he is absolutely wedded to this system that isn’t working for us. 

Just now, Mantis said:

I think the problem was that under Smith's final games we looked like being much closer to relegation than mid-table. Maybe he would've turned things around but Smith wasn't sacked for nothing.

Smith was sacked because Purslow saw an opportunity to nab Gerrard, at a time where he wouldn’t have much criticism from the fan base.

I said at the time that I thought it was time for a change.  

Gerrard has raised the profile of the club.  We’ve managed to sign players that I don’t think we would have been able to before.

But let’s face facts here.  We’re no better than what we were before.  We were utterly dire today.  Obvious changes were not made when they needed to be.  We muster 1 shitty shot on goal against an awful team.  We’re playing players in roles they’re clearly not comfortable with, because we need to fit them into a system that worked for the manager in a shitty league.  
Try it by all means, but when something isn’t working, change it in game ffs.

Not asking for Gerrard to be sacked.  Would be counter productive.  Give him minimum 2 years.  But ffs, if I point out that we had a shit game, and there’s no real improvement from before (as yet), I don’t expect to be called a smith bed wetter or an entitled brat. (Not by you I know)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Why? Gerrard was brought in to produce results. End of. 

Out of curiosity, what manager isn't brought in to produce results?

We were 16th and 2 points off relegation when Smith was sacked. I'm guessing we should be competing for European places? Anything less and Gerrard is useless and should be sacked right?

What I object to, and will probably get hammered, is our club being used as the learning curve for a promising Manager!  Wether it’s Gerrard or whoever it’s not acceptable.  We had it with Turner, Venglos and others.  I’m fed up with it and the bar should have been higher given the fan base and owners we have.!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Why? Gerrard was brought in to produce results. End of. 

True, but will take time.

I think us fans, me included, underestimated the size of the job to get us 'up there'. There are a lot of good teams in this league. Your traditional 'scum 6' plus West Ham and Leicester. Already that puts us 9th on squads then there are Wolves, Newcastle with a blank cheque book, and Everton, who are better than their position. There are a lot of teams fighting over the same thing. 

It's a huge job to break the top 6 - it may need a lot more money than we expected. 

3 minutes ago, AVFCGB said:

What I object to, and will probably get hammered, is our club being used as the learning curve for a promising Manager!  Wether it’s Gerrard or whoever it’s not acceptable.  We had it with Turner, Venglos and others.  I’m fed up with it and the bar should have been higher given the fan base and owners we have.!

Agreed!

Gerrard may very well be an exceptional manager in five years time but I haven't seen anything to suggest he is at present. Perhaps he could have done with another few years of learning his trade at L1/championship level before making the jump to a big prem side

4 minutes ago, AVFCGB said:

What I object to, and will probably get hammered, is our club being used as the learning curve for a promising Manager!  Wether it’s Gerrard or whoever it’s not acceptable.

Loads of high profile experienced managers have been given PL jobs in recent years and failed spectacularly. We havent won anything in 26 years and spent three seasons in the Championship in the last 6. Have some perspective.

Everton just hired Frank Lampard who has a lot less on his CV than Gerrard and was sacked in his last job.

3 minutes ago, Risso said:

Did you see the five game losing run under Smith. We were poor today but absolutely nowhere near as bad as we were against Arsenal and West Ham. Probably Southampton, too. The problem is that in McGinn, Luiz and Watkins we have three players who are nowhere near the standard required.

I think under Gerrard we've seen some improvements and put in some good performances. For me, today was as bad as those games you mentioned. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AVFCGB said:

I wouldn't say Gerrard is using us a learning curve. People talk about the Liverpool job but he'd need to work wonders here even to have a chance at that in the future. 

Everton have used the experienced manager route recently with Koeman, Ancelotti and Benitez and are no better off at all. 

Every manager is a risk IMO. 

6 minutes ago, useless said:

When Smith left us we were just two points above the bottom three, we were on the same points as Watford and had just one more point than Burnley, we'd lost five in a row, we were averaging less than a point a game.

Gerrard came into a difficult situation and has improved us, we've taken seventeen points since he came in, which over a season would average out to around fifty points.

So not sure how anyone could question why we bothered replacing Smith with Gerrard, our form since he came in is close to last season's form, only Gerrard has no Grealish, and Bailey and Traore have been out for most of that time too.

Talking too much sense here. Get ready for a “smith has turned it around before reply”

Why?  Is it acceptable that we are now little Aston Villa who should be grateful to have SG as our Manager?  If things should be put into perspective then are we supposed to accept that we are only BIG in our eyes and that’s it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Yeah I think people are neglecting this too. We'd been mostly crap under Smith since the beginning of the year.

We were. A lot of the Smith out calls were because people expected better and thought the squad was capable of much more. 

• Like 1

Just now, AVFCGB said:

Why?  Is it acceptable that we are now little Aston Villa who should be grateful to have SG as our Manager?  If things should be put into perspective then are we supposed to accept that we are only BIG in our eyes and that’s it?

Who is actually saying this, or anything close to it?

1 minute ago, AVFCGB said:

Who's "big" and who's not means jack shit. Did us being "big" mean anything when we were one of the worst PL sides ever in 2015-16? People wonder why I say our fans are entitled.

1 hour ago, Reivax_Villa said:

That was a brutal interview and it was needed.

Some players are playing for their Villa career (Not sure that some are bothered tbf)

thats one reason im happy to not remotely judge Gerrard until next season, when he has a summer window to bring in players he wants, and offload players he doesnt.

I think you are right though, i can see a blood bath in the summer.

I just hope...really hope....any poor form this season doesnt impact our chances to get Coutinho permanently, as for me, he and Buendia are the two players we should be building the team around.

7 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Who's "big" and who's not means jack shit. Did us being "big" mean anything when we were one of the worst PL sides ever in 2015-16? People wonder why I say our fans are entitled.

Entitled?  Entitled to more than the rubbish that was served up today.  What I’m  saying its not acceptable to have us being treated as a ‘learning curve’ for up and coming Managers? I just don’t think it’s acceptable, however I respect your opinion

Sacking Smith was the right thing to do if the owners wanted Europe. 

I'm just not sure how Smith having a bad spell is linked to today? 

Surely the whole point of replacing Smith was to improve to the next level. Today was just as bad. 

I think Gerrard has the potential to get us there and has shown some very positive signs in his time here. I like the guy a lot. But I don't get some of the mentions of Dean Smith around it. 

• Like 1

Â