Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

14 minutes ago, GrassyNoel said:

We can't gather from a tweet the actual ferocity of the digging out - could just be loosely being used as a way to hold them to account. Which I expect. If they ignore him they'll find themselves ignored right back all the way to the transfer list I should imagine.

Maybe but player power is sadly a big thing now. Its easier for the club to sack the manager than have 10 players on the wage bill douöing nothing 

36 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Publicly digging out players works for a while but gets old fast especially when the team needs confidence. Players in Scotland might be impressed because of his reputation but Premier League players will just ignore him

You'd like to think it's a fairly light hearted threat. Heart rate isn't necessarily an indication of application or attitude. Is he going to drop Pirlo because his heart rate doesn't go above 100bpm?

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Jesus Christ it was hilarious a week ago. I'm happy with the Gerrard appointment. Some people need a humour transplant

A week ago, Steven Gerrard wasn't our manager/head coach, well not quite.

There is a subtle difference between, Humour and sarcasm.

36 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I hope if any of our players take that attitude, they’re quickly moved out of the line up. The money they’re earning I expect them to do as the manager says. Fair enough if he’s going overboard, but giving them a bollocking if they’re not pulling the same as their team mates is to be expected.

It depends on the player. A bollocking is not the best course for action for all players and it can also be very unprofessional. I'd not tolerate a working environment when somebody shouted at or berated me, for example. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It depends on the player. A bollocking is not the best course for action for all players and it can also be very unprofessional. I'd not tolerate a working environment when somebody shouted at or berated me, for example. 

Indeed, same here. I'd just switch off if someone tried to bollock me. It's a sign of weak management, and weak leadership in my opinion. If you can't inclusively motivate a team then you are a pretty crappy manager. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Maybe but player power is sadly a big thing now. Its easier for the club to sack the manager than have 10 players on the wage bill douöing nothing 

We’ll just let the lunatics run the asylum then. People in all walks of life have a degree of responsibility for the work they do. Taking the I’m too valuable to sack approach wouldn’t help them at all in the long run.

Surely to reach a high level of success they must have desire along with a level of help from those around them. To be helped to put mistakes right is as valuable as praise when they get it right.

I saw a great video with Ron Saunders explaining how all players respond differently. Some need an arm round the shoulder others a kick up the backside. He said if he hadn’t given Tony Morley a rollocking by half ten he thought he’d fallen out with him. Successful managers in every era have to have that sort of man management awareness. I’m pretty sure as an ex player and successful manager to date, SG will recognise this. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, lexicon said:

That’s true. I hope he doesn’t end up too strict and alienating the players. But if it’s the case that someone isn’t putting in the required effort, I don’t believe an arm round the shoulder is the best course of action. As you say, it depends on the player I guess.

42 minutes ago, lexicon said:

it also depends on the type of incident....A bollocking can have a very focusing affect, but it depends how its delivered.....Good managers don't shout or berate anyway, they just don't tolerate sub standard behaviour or performance...and act accordingly.

I was never shouted at either in my work, but if I did wrong, I wouldn't expect a cream cake either.....call me old fashioned, but I don't subscribe to too much molly-coddling...Its a mans environment and should be treated a such.

I have experienced lenient managers who turn a blind eye.....and its great to work for them, but the results end up being shite.

Discipline, drive and a willingness to succeed is paramount in any organisation....football is no exception.......reminders to staff, are not often welcome, by the recipient....but as they say " You have to be cruel, to be kind"

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They seem to set up and play like Liverpool. Full backs will be crucial. I can see us buying a new left back in the summer.

sure as daylight.

Just now, HKP90 said:

The Rangers full backs any good? We could tool up and go shopping. Get Kent and Kamara while we're at it.

The Kamara  one is  interesting to me.....He might not be technically any better than what we have, but he has what Gerrard wants to instill in to us......Viera has done it at Palace...as has moyes at West ham.

Its Steel, we are missing, not ballers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â