Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

He seemed very focused to the big job at hand. Very impressive and I expected nothing less from him. 

I like the fact that he highlighted what’s important to him which is “on the grass” and not all the fancy tech around him. 

We’ll grow on everyone I think over time and one thing is for sure, the players will need to be focused from the word go. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

got to say, he interviews well, for what thats worth, he definitely comes across as intense and demanding of himself and others.

I think there is some truth is "the team reflects the manager", and i did think Villa under Smith, did reflect Deano to a high degree.

If our team reflects how Gerrard seems to come across going forward, i think it would be a very positive thing.

Its nailed on for me.........but Dean did make reference to it himself.

I am sure as sure can be, with this appointment and I am looking forward to the improvements

but I hope we don't lose our ability ( on here) to be constructive, if some things are not right....thats what debate is all about.

No manager is perfect, and we shouldn't think they are.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Speculation is the currency on here, because we are not ITK's......its not single dimensional either, it enters all views.

You have answered your own question Nick, "Based on what"...."Stronger Character"

When you have played at his level and dominated games at the level he has....its difficult to ignore/dismiss him....It doesn't make you manage better, but it makes you more resistant to criticism.

Managing up is a skill and its not dominating your boss, that's hyperbole....its about influencing and building trust, persuading to get your way, and resisting being manipulated too.

It is speculation, of course, just backing my judgement, having been in situations like that working for huge organisations....I have seen it first hand.

will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

But stronger character doesn’t always make a good manager or able to influence up or down…Roy Keane being the obvious case but there are examples good and bad.  We have no idea what his managing up is like at all and you can’t determine that from his character.  I too have have been in situations like that working for huge organisations and there are many different types of characters that can manage up and also characters you expect manage up that can’t.

Yes he dominated games as a player but that doesn’t mean they can translate that well into another completely different skill set of managing/coaching.

I really hope he’s a success, I have my reservations and would’ve certainly gone a route than hiring him but I hope he throws that back in my face and smashes it.  I will be there at Villa Park this weekend supporting him and the team, let’s just hope he delivers over time.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am sure as sure can be, with this appointment and I am looking forward to the improvements

but I hope we don't lose our ability ( on here) to be constructive, if some things are not right....thats what debate is all about.

No manager is perfect, and we shouldn't think they are.

Mate, can we just go back to your post a day or so ago…I thought you were talking about the next messiah in that post 😂

I think he’s needs time anyway, things aren’t going to change quickly.  He may have a honeymoon period of some quick wins, he may not but it’s going to take a fair bit of time to make this his team with his ideas and ways of playing.  Given the international break and players coming back for just a few days, it will still be Smiths ways for the Brighton game with just some ideas and words from Gerrard.

Edited by nick76

He has no grey hairs - we will soon sort that out.

Listening to this and the HP podcast I'm doubly struck by his "no excuses" philosophy. This is excellent stuff.

I also loved his use of "the next three points" phrase when discussing a game - Derren Brown levels of mind control there - intentional or not it sounds like an NLP trick to frame a game in a certain way and to set an expectation and belief level about the outcome. Maybe they all do it, but that stuck out for me.

Very excited for the next phase. UTV.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Fair play to him paying respect to Dean Smith as well.

He doesn't look like he's here to doss about.

Possibly reading too much from an " interview " but he looks like the type who will command respect.

His demeanor is authoritative IMO.

Said all the right things, doesn't seem overawed at all.

Oh, and his hair looks fantastic. lol

Knows Ings and Ashley young very well.

States that he wants to instill and improve on the Defensive structure, shape, etc and that is very important to him etc.

Also says, In his view, with the resources, facilities and staff available, there are certainly no excuses, and it will be a no excuses culture etc.

Really liking the sound of all this.

Agree. Excellent interview (with the caveat it is just words at this point).

Comes across as a very different man to DS; seems very authoratative as you say. Interesting that when asked about the 'huge array of talent in the squad you have here' he made no reference to/aggrement  that and just said its up to the players to take on board what I tell them (or words to that effect).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Like listening to that. I'm excited by what he can build here.

I'm pleased to hear it.....I think he will feed off our effervescence, Villa Park rocking will motivate his team.

We just need to give him a chance to help us, and not be side tracked ( like some, not you) what he done to us as a player....that is now irrelevant.

You always support our managers, I will give you that.

1 minute ago, eholm said:

Agree. Excellent interview (with the caveat it is just words at this point).

Comes across as a very different man to DS; seems very authoratative as you say. Interesting that when asked about the 'huge array of talent in the squad you have here' he made no reference to/aggrement  that and just said its up to the players to take on board what I tell them (or words to that effect).

Same. It’s a massive opportunity for the Ramsey’s, Carney and JPB to fight for a place. I don’t think any of the senior players are safe except Martinez. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But stronger character doesn’t always make a good manager or able to influence up or down…Roy Keane being the obvious case but there are examples good and bad.  We have no idea what his managing up is like at all and you can’t determine that from his character.  I too have have been in situations like that working for huge organisations and there are many different types of characters that can manage up and also characters you expect manage up that can’t.

Yes he dominated games as a player but that doesn’t mean they can translate that well into another completely different skill set of managing/coaching.

I really hope he’s a success, I have my reservations and would’ve certainly gone a route than hiring him but I hope he throws that back in my face and smashes it.  I will be there at Villa Park this weekend supporting him and the team, let’s just hope he delivers over time.

Its just gut feel Nick, but it doesn't mean I am wrong, just not evidence based.....time will tell.

I managed to manage up well, when I was working ,because my performances allowed me to....buy hey ho, just my take on it.

Its not about throwing it back in your face, some of us need more evidence than others, thats perfectly normal.

I loved his touch on Dean Smith, showed his humility side, which is ALSO paramount.

Edited by TRO

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Mate, can we just go back to your post a day or so ago…I thought you were talking about the next messiah in that post 😂

I think he’s needs time anyway, things aren’t going to change quickly.  He may have a honeymoon period of some quick wins, he may not but it’s going to take a fair bit of time to make this his team with his ideas and ways of playing.  Given the international break and players coming back for just a few days, it will still be Smiths ways for the Brighton game with just some ideas and words from Gerrard.

Yes I agree.

sorry, if I was demonstating how sure I am....belief is a powerful thing....but I am under no illusions of the task.

Maybe he might have time to get a bit of that over for Saturday.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Awol said:

Same. It’s a massive opportunity for the Ramsey’s, Carney and JPB to fight for a place. I don’t think any of the senior players are safe except Martinez. 

Rightly so. You can have all the talent in the world but if you're not bringing it then it's useless. The likes of David Bentley for example. Had ridiculous quality, he had his moments but could have been a ridiculous talent if he had the desire. He was honest enough to get out of the game early when he could have milked it for a good while longer. 

I'd like to think we're going to be exposed to those who really want it and those who don't won't be here much longer. 

I think the likes of Buendia and Sanson are going to thrive here. 

• Like 1

Â