Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, newhavenhibby said:

I talked yesterday about SG not bringing any players from sevco...........forgot about the young fullback, Nathan Patterson who is certainly going to climb to a much higher level than the SPL...........maybe????

Another RB (?) is the last thing we need really. Any decent LBs?

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

His immediate aim will be to move us away from the awful position we are in, which is why it's really important he gets off to a good start against Brighton.

But there are some weird comments on here like his aim for this season is to just survive. I think he won't survive if that is his ambition and he can kiss goodbye to the Liverpool job.

Still think his remit from the owners will be to get in the top 10, particularly if he is given money in January. Even Smith said he felt he would achieve that after he was sacked.

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think relegation is the only disaster this season. Below 14th would be disappointing but I don't care. Its all about Gerrard adding to this squad and progressing next season. 

We have to stop this panic that finishing bottom half of the table is some impending doom. The sport of Football doesn't end this season. 

This is a one of the most sensible comments I've read since Gerard was appointed. Of course we hope for better and we may well get it, but cementing our place in the Premier League and establishing a clear base from which to progress has to be our number one priority.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Not sure...

Roy Keane just jumped into Management with Sunderland.

Steven Gerrard at least had some preparation as Coach with Liverpool youth.

I mean the attitude though, everytime people have described why Gerrard will thrive is a no nonsense tough guy, serial winner {which he isnt} and midfield general then I just think everything is describing Keane

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Fully agree with this. But we still need addition(s) at CM, LB & CD.

Sure. I don’t doubt that we still need strengthening. Midfield please.

I still think those of us who were banging on about a DM have been proven right…

A higher quality LB is probably needed too with the way Gerrard likes to set up his team.

Targett was great last season though, strong defensively and looked transformed. But does he have the pace, energy and attacking ability (as well as defensive)… has looked off it this season…

I like the Mings and Konsa partnership, we just need to restore their discipline and have them focussed. 

Our back 4 and GK were, overall, excellent last season. We’ve disrupted it and I never want to see a back 5 again.

I think only the off season is the time to reorganise or refresh a defence, particularly at CB.

Mings gets too much hate imo, we look lost without him. He is our leader and organiser. He needs to be focussed and disciplined - up to the manager to sort that out.

Konsa is an exceptional talent but he doesn’t really have those traits yet.

But, I think Tuanzebe is shit and a liability and Hause’s future is uncertain so…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I mean the attitude though, everytime people have described why Gerrard will thrive is a no nonsense tough guy, serial winner {which he isnt} and midfield general then I just think everything is describing Keane

Ah ok.

However i feel we possibly need a sterner voice from the Coach and especially from someone like Gerrard who has so much experience. This is a powerful energy!

Smith was a great man but possibly just too nice!

1 hour ago, newhavenhibby said:

Agreed, but to keep a squad of 30 + differing types of players onside you need a range of man management skills and not just  "do what I say or else" .  Lennon had this attitude and lost more than one dressing room.

spacer.png

16 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think relegation is the only disaster this season. Below 14th would be disappointing but I don't care. Its all about Gerrard adding to this squad and progressing next season. 

We have to stop this panic that finishing bottom half of the table is some impending doom. The sport of Football doesn't end this season. 

Good post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

Who gives a ****. Hell we should have offered the best manager available 20 mil. They have a bigger impact if the side than 2 or 3 100k a week players. 

Well, yes, that's my point. If he was a big rep manager I'd expect that to be the going rate. Not a fella with less than three seasons under his belt.

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We’re not? He’s not a rookie. 

OK, no he's not. He is a PL rookie though. Far from a sure thing, as excited as I am.

Coming in on more than double the previous manager and most of the squad seems strange IMO.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Correct.

Most fans in the ground seem to be in this way of thinking.

I would like to enjoy what I'm watching as well thanks Stevie.

16 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So why sack Dean?

What was In Purslow’s statement… something like “we didn’t see continuous improvement”?

The only reason to sack the previous manager if is you think the new one can do better right?

Rught now, I’d take a similar finish to last season, of course. But I think settling for 14th (though not a complete disaster) is a little crazy… below that is terrible… how far can we fall before it’s too difficult to recover and progress? You can’t stand still, let alone decline, in this league or you could be left in the dust or even relegated. The competition is fierce.

I don’t think anyone has implied that there is “impending doom”.

But again, why appoint a new manager if it wasn’t to arrest a decline and the intention wasn’t to move forwards/upwards?

If we all agree that we wouldn’t have been relegated under Smith, then sacking him was pointless IF we’re happy with 14th-17th. I think it’s inaccurate to state that.

Purslow and the owners certainly won’t be…

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The way Gerrard talks about football isn't too far away from Keane at times.

What holds Keane back is his refusal to work with others I think. If he would get a team of coaches together like Gerrard has, he could easily make a career as a manager.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It was hardly a disaster chap. The board will be expecting around 10th if not Europe still at least. I can tell you it hasn't changed, that's why we sacked Smith.

14th will be a disaster!

Yep

• Like 1

Nice to see @newhavenhibbycommenting on Rangers by way of calling us Sevco. The hurt is strong up here. In answer to his comments, Nathan Patterson has huge potential going forward as a RB. A left back? We currently have the first choice Croatian, Borna Barisic,but the spoonburners have Doig- that boy is a talent and he has youth on his side. We are a selling club up here. We won't give them away, but I doubt that we would be difficult to deal with. I'm going to be interested in who, if anyone, AV come in for.  I can only see it being Ryan Kent.  He's SG favourite. 

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Tbh I’m not so much of it being a disaster or impending doom finishing 14th, it’s more that I do not see the point of removing a very well liked and decent manager from the role to bring in someone else on a lot more money just to do what the original guy would’ve done.

• Like 1

My main demand or expectation of Gerrard right now is to improve our midfielders and work closely with them. And seeing that that is our major deficiency, that is giving me encouragement and making me feel more positive. 

And if he deems the midfield too weak or lacking, I would hope that he will sign superior players to come in and enhance that department.

Once we can retain possession, have the ability to dictate play, improve our passing and incisiveness… we can really, really kick on. IF we manage to do that, then we will be back in business…

Our attackers have been starved of service.

15 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

So why sack Dean?

What was In Purslow’s statement… something like “we didn’t see continuous improvement”?

The only reason to sack the previous manager if is you think the new one can do better right?

Rught now, I’d take a similar finish to last season, of course. But I think settling for 14th (though not a complete disaster) is a little crazy… below that is terrible… how far can we fall before it’s too difficult to recover and progress? You can’t stand still, let alone decline, in this league or you could be left in the dust or even relegated. The competition is fierce.

I don’t think anyone has implied that there is “impending doom”.

But again, why appoint a new manager if it wasn’t to arrest a decline and the intention wasn’t to move forwards/upwards?

If we all agree that we wouldn’t have been relegated under Smith, then sacking him was pointless IF we’re happy with 14th-17th. I think it’s inaccurate to state that.

Purslow and the owners certainly won’t be…

I'm sure the owners still want continuous improvement but jesus christ cut the guy some slack. He's a relatively inexperienced manager coming into a club in turmoil on the pitch right now, I'm sure the owners wouldn't be too disappointed if he took the rest of the season to stabilize things and get himself used to the club and the league unless the results are genuinely disastrous.

Yes, they would be holding him to a different standard than Smith. But Smith had been at the club for a couple of seasons already, they had plenty of time to evaluate his qualities until they finally decided he was no longer the man for the job. That's the key difference between the 2 situations. Gerrard is a relative unknown who's ceiling might be really high for all we know, he'll be given enough time for them to evaluate how good of a manager he really is. 2/3rds of a season isn't much time at all to do that.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Â