Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

1 minute ago, picicata said:

I think it's simply that we've been so poor against two of the poorest teams in the league and that just makes its so difficult to see where the next win will come. We need a lucky, in off the arse, opposition hitting the posts/ crossbar type win in order to relieve a bit of tension.

I do agree, although I can think of many occasions in the past few years where we've looked crap against the worst teams and then been significantly better against superior opposition. Tbh I can actually think of more instances of that than the reverse happening.

Just now, picicata said:

I think it's simply that we've been so poor against two of the poorest teams in the league and that just makes its so difficult to see where the next win will come. We need a lucky, in off the arse, opposition hitting the posts/ crossbar type win in order to relieve a bit of tension.

Very true we need a win and fast no dout about that the longer this goes on the worse this will end. SG needs to step up not just the players!

4 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

There’s some serious pant wetting going on in this thread. There is absolutely no chance that we are getting relegated. Watford and Norwich are gone. The other team won’t be us. We won’t be close. 

are you saying we playing too good to go down?

Just watched the Burnley game.

No chance they're going down. They're barely conceding a goal a game and Weghourst and McNeil were very good on the break.

They'll likely take 4 points off us again tbh especially if it's a wet and windy night whenever we play them at VP as they thrive in those conditions.

Watford result just shows how terrible we are currently.

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

There’s some serious pant wetting going on in this thread. There is absolutely no chance that we are getting relegated. Watford and Norwich are gone. The other team won’t be us. We won’t be close. 

I love your optimum but the fact is we are not winning games and when your not winning games means that teams like burnley and newcastle will draw you in no matter what you think and hope. i notice you only mentioned 2 teams already gone(not three).

Just now, M_Afro said:

Leeds showing their stomach for the fight tonight!

I thought Leeds would get smashed tonight as they put lots into the second half v Man. United.

Look at their bench and they simply haven't got much to rotate once they get a couple of injuries.

Could easily lose to Spurs at weekend aswell if it's end to end game.

Just now, messi11 said:

Nope. Just saying that we won’t go down. I expect our form to pick up and we will get some much deserved and long overdue luck. When that happens we will comfortably pull away from the bottom three.

9 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I do agree, although I can think of many occasions in the past few years where we've looked crap against the worst teams and then been significantly better against superior opposition. Tbh I can actually think of more instances of that than the reverse happening.

That's what I'm hoping. Once we no longer feel the need to control the ball and game, we might manage to nick a few goals on the break. Not sure it's a tactic that'll move us forward long term mind 

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

I thought Leeds would get smashed tonight as they put lots into the second half v Man. United.

Look at their bench and they simply haven't got much to rotate once they get a couple of injuries.

Could easily lose to Spurs at weekend aswell if it's end to end game.

I know the hope and the wish that some other team is worse. Not good for a team like ours to be hoping that right?

2 minutes ago, string28 said:

I love your optimum but the fact is we are not winning games and when your not winning games means that teams like burnley and newcastle will draw you in no matter what you think and hope. i notice you only mentioned 2 teams already gone(not three).

That’s because only 2 have gone. The third will come from a group of 4/5 of which, we won’t be 1.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:
3 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Nope. Just saying that we won’t go down. I expect our form to pick up and we will get some much deserved and long overdue luck. When that happens we will comfortably pull away from the bottom three.

Plus it’s not about us playing too good to go down, if you look at the teams below us there are easily at least three teams that aren’t going to play well enough to over take us.  There are some really poor teams below us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, string28 said:

I know the hope and the wish that some other team is worse. Not good for a team like ours to be hoping that right?

I personally think we'll beat likes of Norwich and Palace at home (remember them being on the beach when we played them in run in in 19/20).

So two wins and a couple of draws and we'll be on 35-36 points. Dosen't really feel like we'll need more points than what we got two years ago currently.

However not acceptable at all if that late in the season we still need wins to stay up. We have five league games before next international break so we need the manager to get a grip, get us playing a decent structure to our game again and grind out draws and the odd win and that will settle everything down.

12 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Can see this point absolutely. Can also see that we’re 7 points off with Burnley having a game in hand. We’ve also just lost to two teams who are below us.

I don’t think it’s completely out of the question that we’ve been drawn in with our most recent results. Even more worryingly, the performances. 

A couple of wins and we’re absolutely fine. However, where are they coming from with the last few performances?

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

That’s because only 2 have gone. The third will come from a group of 4/5 of which, we won’t be 1.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I personally think we'll beat likes of Norwich and Palace at home (remember them being on the beach when we played them in run in in 19/20).

So two wins and a couple of draws and we'll be on 35-36 points. Dosen't really feel like we'll need more points than what we got two years ago currently.

However not acceptable at all if that late in the season we still need wins to stay up. We have five league games before next international break so we need the manager to get a grip, get us playing a decent structure to our game again and grind out draws and the odd win and that will settle everything down.

The same CP that just beat watford 4-1? the fact we lost to newcastle too you think these teams are now easy we said that about watford and newcastle who are fighting in the bottom in fact watford was bottom and yet we will beat them after losing to brentford, watford and newcastle??? the evidence on that is??? im not even been anti SG here im been serious.

21 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

We'll marginally stay up.

Still completely unacceptable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hanky said:

Can see this point absolutely. Can also see that we’re 7 points off with Burnley having a game in hand. We’ve also just lost to two teams who are below us.

I don’t think it’s completely out of the question that we’ve been drawn in with our most recent results. Even more worryingly, the performances. 

A couple of wins and we’re absolutely fine. However, where are they coming from with the last few performances?

They'll have to come soon otherwise Gerrard will get sacked imo, we need to be on mimimum of 31 points going into next international break, ideally 33-34 but that looks way off currently.

Worth noting as I've said Everton have a couple of tough fixtures in next few weeks and there's also Brentford-Newcastle on Saturday so we really shouldn't be having teams below us get that much closer. Leeds also in really poor state again although they'll be targeting a win at home to us given the trouble they usually give us in games.

1 minute ago, string28 said:

The same CP that just beat watford 4-1? the fact we lost to newcastle too you think these teams are now easy we said that about watford and newcastle who are fighting in the bottom in fact watford was bottom and yet we will beat them after losing to brentford, watford and newcastle??? the evidence on that is??? im not even been anti SG here im been serious.

We've done o.k v Palace in recent times so sometimes just have to look at how both teams match up. When we played them earlier this season they were on a pretty good run and we weren't and yet performance at Selhurst was one of the best of a mediocre season.

BTW if you think we can just have a 10 match winless run with Gerrard and nothing will happen then I think that's a bit odd given the metric was set with DS losing his job after five straight defeats.

There's no way after backing him in the Jan window that NSWE will just be twiddling their thumbs at this. Not that I think it will come to it as we're not 15/16 or even Lambert bad quite yet imo.