Car issues / advice

dubbs

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the What Car Do You Drive thread or start a new one so feel free to move if required. 

I changed a couple of bulbs the weekend on my 1 series BMW and ever since I've had this error showing up

20211026_130407.thumb.jpg.a2873f200ee726ba28522f03d336878f.jpg

I changed the bulbs back just in case but the error remains.   Anyone else had this issue?

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the What Car Do You Drive thread or start a new one so feel free to move if required. 

I changed a couple of bulbs the weekend on my 1 series BMW and ever since I've had this error showing up

20211026_130407.thumb.jpg.a2873f200ee726ba28522f03d336878f.jpg

I changed the bulbs back just in case but the error remains.   Anyone else had this issue?

Have the lights mentioned actually failed?

First check whether the lights are actually working.

If they are working then there are two courses of action, either investigate whether there is some on board computer reset that you can do, or, wait until the next time it needs a garage and ask them to turn the message off.

If the lights aren’t working, have another go at removing and replacing them, if that doesn’t work ask the guy in Halfords if he can have a go at fitting them and watch like a hawk to see if he does anything different.

Just now, choffer said:

This is normally done at the manufacturing stage, as you well know ;)

I just thought it might be some rogue ‘Friday car’ where they forgot to remove them and also left it with the ability to brake gradually.

• Haha 1

Presumably (from the look of the dash) this isn’t a newer car with those nasty xenon bulbs? 
I had a Halfords guy try to change them for me only to be berated by his gaffer for even attempting it. He said manufacturers being the scamps they are, make it a hazardous, potentially electrifying, experience to change them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Have the lights mentioned actually failed?

No they were working without issue before I changed bulbs.  Then the error occurred so I swapped back but the issue remains. 

1 hour ago, choffer said:

Presumably (from the look of the dash) this isn’t a newer car with those nasty xenon bulbs? 
I had a Halfords guy try to change them for me only to be berated by his gaffer for even attempting it. He said manufacturers being the scamps they are, make it a hazardous, potentially electrifying, experience to change them. 

No luckily this is a 63 plate so good old halogens!

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I think on the BMW you have to remove the indicator bulbs first.

Cheeky scamp - although I removed the indicator arm as it seemed like it confused people when I used it!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

First check whether the lights are actually working.

If they are working then there are two courses of action, either investigate whether there is some on board computer reset that you can do, or, wait until the next time it needs a garage and ask them to turn the message off.

If the lights aren’t working, have another go at removing and replacing them, if that doesn’t work ask the guy in Halfords if he can have a go at fitting them and watch like a hawk to see if he does anything different.

Definitely working and usually when a bulb blows and gets changed the message telling you of the failure goes away. 

2 minutes ago, dubbs said:

I've got a cheap odb code reader on order to see if I can get an error code,  clear it and see if it comes back. 

I'd have suggested going to a back street garage with a diagnostic machine and getting them to turn it off for a few quid

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'd have suggested going to a back street garage with a diagnostic machine and getting them to turn it off for a few quid

I was going to do that tbf but thought it might be useful to get one for any future issues as well.  Not that I'll know how to resolve most issues; I was quite pleased I changed the bulbs cuz those are fiddly little things on a Beemer. 

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I wouldn't trust Halfrauds to change my air freshener.

I used them to change a bulb in the rear light cluster of my car. Now, i knew from experience that it was an absolute shitter of a job. Audi made it so difficult you need to be an octopus on roids to get the rear cluster out. For a charge of £5 they will do little jobs for you. I sat down and watched this bloke take 45 mins to do it. Best £5 I have ever spent! Also. I had a build up of water in the cluster (loose seal) so when he finally got it out, about a pint of water landed on his trousers. 

• Haha 4

Â