Car issues / advice

dubbs

@Stevo985 I recently sold my car to cazoo. They offered about £400 more than anyone else and way over what some others were offering (car I sold was for £14,700). What they offered me via their site was what they paid after I took it down to them. Zero haggling although I had been honest and in fairness the car was immaculate. Money was in my account whilst I was stood next to the guy who had looked over the car. Whole process was no more than 20 minutes.

I am not sure if cazoo take on cars that have finance outstanding though. The next closet I found to cazoo in terms of offers was Arnold Clarke.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

What are people's experience with selling their car? Either privately themselves or through one of these webuyanycar websites?

Basically because of my change in circumstances I'm looking at cutting back on a few things I spend, and the car seems an easy one to save some cash on. If I went from what I drive now to something like a Golf (even brand new on PCP) I could save almost £200 a month.

I've got a settlement figure for my current car and it's around £6k less than what I'm getting quoted on webuyanycar. I know they are absolute shits and I'll end up getting less than what they're offering, but surely it won't be enough to eat into that too much.
If I sell privately I can probably add another 3 or 4k onto that.

Has anyone been in this scenario before? Any advice?

My current thinking is that I'd go with webuyanycar (assuming they arrive somewhere close to what they've quoted me). They sort out the settling of the finance and everything so it would be an easy turnaround.

The decision is now seeming like a no brainer to be honest. I'd basically be giving my car back and receiving a nice deposit to put against the new, much cheaper, car.

Just not sure if I'm missing anything

I used WBAC last year and it was one of the easiest things I've ever done. It appears they're less sharp in their practice these days and you usually get somewhere near to the original valuation. From memory I was quoted £17,300 for mine on the website and walked away with about £600 less than that. The justification was that I'd said it was in pristine condition and they found a few nicks in the paintwork and one small dent. The best I was offered in p/x was £14,000.

I talked to the dealer (from whom I eventually got my new car) about it and they said one of their team had just joined them from WBAC and they'd all been grilling her on how they offer so much for cars. Apparently they're only looking to make a small profit when they flip each car into auction and it's the volume that means they make a reasonable gain. They suggested that even on my old car, they'd probably only make a few hundred quid. 

Following my positive experience, my sister, who was in a similar situation to you, got a much better offer on her settlement from her PCP. No quibbles.

I don't think you're missing anything at all. From my (albeit limited experience) it's a doddle and comfortably the best offer you're going to get. Just book it in and see how much they try to squeeze you. You can always walk away and they really don't give it the hard sell. They give you a price, explain why that's the price and then you either take up the offer or leave it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Thanks both. I think I'll go ahead with it.

Need to have a look round for a new car and get an idea of wait times. Don't want to sell mine and be without a car for months :D 

make sure you do, second hand car prices are absolutely through the roof right now, that may be your limiting factor not the amount you'll get for you old car

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

make sure you do, second hand car prices are absolutely through the roof right now, that may be your limiting factor not the amount you'll get for you old car

I'll probably go for a new car on PCP again to be honest. Just a far cheaper car than the one I currently drive.

Having a quick look around I can get a pretty smart, high trim golf, for nearly £200 less than I pay now for mine. I'll take that

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Thanks both. I think I'll go ahead with it.

Need to have a look round for a new car and get an idea of wait times. Don't want to sell mine and be without a car for months :D 

We just had a Ford Puma on Saturday, took from July last year for delivery. 

Salesman said there are even longer waits now. 

Edited by rjw63
Grammanazi

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

You're not kidding. I could give my 3.5 year old Stelvio to WBAC and pretty much get back what I paid for it, despite putting 6,000 on it in the last six months. Of course, then I'd be without a car but that's a lot of hookers and blow. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

@Stevo985 I recently sold my car to cazoo. They offered about £400 more than anyone else and way over what some others were offering (car I sold was for £14,700). What they offered me via their site was what they paid after I took it down to them. Zero haggling although I had been honest and in fairness the car was immaculate. Money was in my account whilst I was stood next to the guy who had looked over the car. Whole process was no more than 20 minutes.

I am not sure if cazoo take on cars that have finance outstanding though. The next closet I found to cazoo in terms of offers was Arnold Clarke.

Another vote for Arnold Clark, my daughter used them to sell her X1, and like you money was sorted there and then including paying off the BMW finance.

35 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

We just had a Ford Puma on Saturday, took from July last year for delivery. 

Salesman said there are even longer waits now. 

Yeah think I'd have to go for something in stock

Cazoo, WBAC, etc are less likely to mess you about at the minute on price as they are desperate for stock. 

It might even be worth putting a call into your local Audi dealer and seeing what they will offer. They will get top dollar for it used, so may make you a strong offer. 

I wouldn't want the hassle of selling it privately. You'll be dealing with an absolute stream of time stealers, tyre kickers and general words removed. Plus being a nice motor you run the (small) risk of being robbed.

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

WBAC belongs to British car auctions. The price cars get at auctions these days has rocketed, which is why they could set up WBAC as a viable business.

Personally I has a bad experience with WBAC being that they chipped me £850 on a 6000 mile 2 year old Juke (Mrs Car), for stone chips and marks you could hardly see. Being that we wanted to drop it 2 years into a 4 year finance, I went back to accept. To my luck, the guy who saw me the second time was an ex work colleague who sorted it Ended up being £150 instead of the £850, some novice was going to knock off, result. Process after that was very simple, finance paid immediately.

On 25/01/2022 at 17:42, Xela said:

Cazoo, WBAC, etc are less likely to mess you about at the minute on price as they are desperate for stock. 

It might even be worth putting a call into your local Audi dealer and seeing what they will offer. They will get top dollar for it used, so may make you a strong offer. 

I wouldn't want the hassle of selling it privately. You'll be dealing with an absolute stream of time stealers, tyre kickers and general words removed. Plus being a nice motor you run the (small) risk of being robbed.

I have an appointment at VW tomorrow to see a new Golf. I'm hoping that because they're all essentially the same company as Audi they'll have a mechanism to settle the finance and use the extra as deposit on a new car. 

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I have an appointment at VW tomorrow to see a new Golf. I'm hoping that because they're all essentially the same company as Audi they'll have a mechanism to settle the finance and use the extra as deposit on a new car. 

Any dealer can settle any finance chap, just depends on the deal they offer. Golfs are big money at the moment on finance. If I was you I would WBAC it and look on this site. Cheapest around. Leasecar.uk

Any advice. Was driving through this lovely village and passed a chavvy looking fella carrying a pile of 20 Pet Sounds LPs, well anyway my windscreen was a little mucky, long story short the screen washer jets are a little misaligned and alas soaked this fella AND his stack of LPs. He muttered something about a rare former Yugoslavian pressing of a beach boys album, but I was already heading towards civilisation. My question is how do I realign the screen wash jets?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Any advice. Was driving through this lovely village and passed a chavvy looking fella carrying a pile of 20 Pet Sounds LPs, well anyway my windscreen was a little mucky, long story short the screen washer jets are a little misaligned and alas soaked this fella AND his stack of LPs. He muttered something about a rare former Yugoslavian pressing of a beach boys album, but I was already heading towards civilisation. My question is how do I realign the screen wash jets?

I actually meant the jets hit my car, not me.

But still...

spacer.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Usually with just a pin/needle. With slight movement and testing, you can usually get them right for you in a few seconds 👍

That's a bit old skool. Most of then are fixed now, no adjustment. On these they get blocked and the only way to unblock them is air line down the pipes, which generally only a garage can do.

36 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Any dealer can settle any finance chap, just depends on the deal they offer. Golfs are big money at the moment on finance. If I was you I would WBAC it and look on this site. Cheapest around. Leasecar.uk

I’ve already found a car I like and know the price/payments. So as long as they can settle the finance and use the extra as a deposit on the new one then I’m golden 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I’ve already found a car I like and know the price/payments. So as long as they can settle the finance and use the extra as a deposit on the new one then I’m golden 

If you’ve got a price you like, it’s probably one of those rare times I’d say grab it, don’t ponder on it.

VW prices are weirdly volatile, I’ve been looking at Golfs for a while and sometimes in the course of a week the price can swing by nearly £100 per month.

A car I looked at a week ago was £305, this week its £240. Just imagine being the guy that signed at £305 for the next 3 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

If you’ve got a price you like, it’s probably one of those rare times I’d say grab it, don’t ponder on it.

VW prices are weirdly volatile, I’ve been looking at Golfs for a while and sometimes in the course of a week the price can swing by nearly £100 per month.

A car I looked at a week ago was £305, this week its £240. Just imagine being the guy that signed at £305 for the next 3 years.

Yep if they can sort the settling of the finance on my other car with enough of a deposit for this new car then I’ll be signing for it tomorrow I imagine 

• Like 1

Â